Help with southern ports walking distances

We are visiting St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. My mom recently hurt her ankle and can only walk for a couple of blocks. We have private excursions at each one, but the problem is getting to the van or meeting place. Can someone tell me what each port is like in terms of walking off the ship up the dock and through the stores/waterfront to where excursions usually meet? Is it a block, two blocks, three...? Is there any trams or golf carts for people with mobility issues?

I've tried to talk her into a wheelchair, but she refuses to have her grandchildren pushing her around.

She won't go for it. Right now she just wants to evaluate to distance at each port and possibly cancel the excursions that are too far.

Once you are onboard, speak to the Shore Excursion people. They may be able to give you details on trams or shuttles that might be available at each port.

We are visiting St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. My mom recently hurt her ankle and can only walk for a couple of blocks. We have private excursions at each one, but the problem is getting to the van or meeting place. Can someone tell me what each port is like in terms of walking off the ship up the dock and through the stores/waterfront to where excursions usually meet? Is it a block, two blocks, three...? Is there any trams or golf carts for people with mobility issues?

I've tried to talk her into a wheelchair, but she refuses to have her grandchildren pushing her around.

I know for a fact that St Maarten has Golf carts and in Barbados there are actual shuttle buses, which was great because it's one of the longest piers.

St Kitt's has a very short pier and can't remember about the others.

Hope this helps

In St Lucia, it's not far. You'll likely be docked at.Pointe Seraphine, which is flat, even ground all the way and through a shopping complex. A normal person not stopping to.browse and moving at a normal pace takes about 4-8 minutes from ramp of ship to exit. You can ask tour tour operator to meet you at the excursion kiosk (right at entrance to shopping center, 2 minute walk from ramp) and tell him of slight mobility issue - they should be able to bring the van up to the entrance right across from desk, in which case, it's a 1 minute walk. Otherwise, about 5 minutes out the shops area. No worries, it's an easy walk.

She won't go for it. Right now she just wants to evaluate to distance at each port and possibly cancel the excursions that are too far.

Certainly she doesn't mean cancel the entire excursion, right?

Can we assume she means that she will decide to stay on the ship while the rest of you go enjoy your tour...

Barbados can be a challenge as sometimes there isn't a shuttle bus due to location of berthing. We were at the first berthing in March. Our walk to terminal was (estimated) 5-6 city blocks in the sun, then 5-6 city blocks inside the terminal to the outside where the private tours meet.

St Maarten has the golf carts pretty much from ships to water taxi (not sure if they'd take you to your taxis)

Antigua is a long haul down the concrete pier then cobblestone through the town to the tour taxi area

St Kitts had a golf cart from ship to tour taxi area.

Reed princess is exactly spot on for St Lucia.

I didn't have a wheelchair, but could have used one.

Edited by awhfy

Certainly she doesn't mean cancel the entire excursion, right?

Can we assume she means that she will decide to stay on the ship while the rest of you go enjoy your tour...

I'm pretty sure they wern't saying she was going to cancel the Cruise...just the excursions that might be to difficult for her to get to....

Edited by kc320

I'm pretty sure he wasn't saying she was going to cancel the Cruise...just the excursions that might be to difficult for her to get to....

You think she'd cancel an excursion for her entire family (OP said they booked private tours) because she couldn't walk down the pier?

You think she'd cancel an excursion for her entire family (OP said they booked private tours) because she couldn't walk down the pier?

I didn't get that impression from anything the OP posted...but I'm not the OP so guess if they post back we'll know...

Since you have Private Excursions booked, you need to contact the private operators to see what they can do to help you out. ;)

LuLu

They are all really close, right off the pier. Barbados is the one that is farthest, she might have problems with that one. Only because it's in an industrial area. You walk off the ship and walk through a building. But once outside the building you're home free. But they are all less then a block in distance. At least it seemed that way at the time.

St martin has long golf carts on the plaza before the ship...you wait at guava berry or across from it depending on which ship....should be diable.....barbados does have a shuttle....waiting for it could take a while....there are places to sit in the large building if a break is needed....very good idea to plan ahead.....just walking the length of the ship in the heat is very tiring....

No she would just not go and stay on the ship. The rest of us would still go. I just don't want her missing out.

Thank you all for the info.