European Airfares

lightsleeper

Not sailing until 2016 but have done very cursory check on airline tickets..

Cruise is from Rome to Venice so need one way tickets from/to US. It appears it is more costly to book one way as opposed to round-trip tickets and then skip the return flight (notice I did not say cheaper)

Interested in hearing from those doing similar how they are approaching airfare.

Yes, I am aware of Cruise Air from Celebrity

Have you tried looking at "Multiple city" flight itineraries? You shouldn't need to buy two one way tickets unless you're unsure of when you're returning and need an open return.

On the Delta website, for instance (don't worry, I don't work for Delta, just a regular customer) when looking at flights you can choose "round-trip, "one way" or "multiple city". When you choose multi city you can type in the exact airports you want - for example: JFK (New York City - or choose your origin city whatever that is) to FCO (Rome, Italy) and input the date you want to depart. Then on the second line you would enter VCE (Venice, Italy) to JFK (or whatever city you want to return to) and enter the date of departure from Venice.

Multi city fares are often *close* in cost to a single round trip.

Not sailing until 2016 but have done very cursory check on airline tickets..

Cruise is from Rome to Venice so need one way tickets from/to US. It appears it is more costly to book one way as opposed to round-trip tickets and then skip the return flight (notice I did not say cheaper)

Interested in hearing from those doing similar how they are approaching airfare.

Yes, I am aware of Cruise Air from Celebrity

If a one-way is more than a r/t it's because the r/t fare includes a minimum stay (usually a Saturday night or 6 days).

You should be advised that what you propose, known as "throw-away ticketing" is explicitly forbidden by all airlines. You could be asked to reticket your return (at the rates applicable day of departure), have your return canceled, your frequent flyer miles confiscated, etc. Most of the time this doesn't happen, but you should be aware.

As others have said, multi-city searches should help. I recommend searching on google flights, but using the airlines to actually book.

No one is suggesting throw away ticketing. Most on-line airline ticket sites (and most airlines) allow you to enter a multi-city route. You can fly ny to rome and then venice to NY and they price out that route which is just about the same price as a RT NY to Rome. You can actually do this on the airline's site, if they fly to all the cities...but I'd recommend using the large internet sites which will give you a wider choice of airlines, fares, etc.

Alternatively, try choice air....or look at some of the airlines that aren't always shown on the online air sites....aer lingus, Iceland Air and so on.

Edited by ghstudio

If the price for an open-jaw flight New York -Rome / Venice - New York compares unfavourably to a regular New York - Rome or a regular New York - Venice return flight, you could also do either Venice to Rome at the end of your cruise or before your cruise on the very comfortable Italian high speed trains going through Emiglia Romana and Tuscany provinces. A beautiful trip and not very long.

Train information in English is available on trenitalia.it or on the great all English website seat66.com.

Just booked a multi-city as described above. By staying one night post cruise (a Saturday) saved hundreds which more than paid for hotel. Be flexible on dates if you can.

You can book a return flight to a region, flying into one airport in one city, and out of another. I do it often from the UK to the US. Europe is one entity like the US. I have bumped-up against this when looking at a transatlantic cruise. Flying home on BA (my favoured airline) is the same cost as a return flight. However, Virgin is not. The cost is only slightly more than half the return ticket. Therefore, if you need a one way flight check out the cost of different airlines, consider Virgin if it covers your route or check with a travel agent which airlines offer the best rates on one way.

Every time I go to Europe I am into one city and out of a different one. Most of the online air booking companies have this as a "multi city" option which as others have said is a far more economical than 2 x one way. I usually fly Emirates or Virgin and their web sites allow this type of booking. With Rome you will need to get Train into Rome and then back out again to the Port so suggest you give yourself a few days in Rome pre-cruise. Same with Venice, treat yourself to at least 1 day post-cruise as Venice is fabulous, just get a hotel that is easy to get to with baggage from the pier. I did that 2014 and had a Hotel walking from the Port area, checked in at 9.30am and had the whole day to explore.

:O How do you do that with the cruisers necessary two large cases and hand luggage? ;)

Did it with 3 large and 2 carry-on. Departing ship in Venice you can use one of their luggage trolleys and push it about 300 yards to the "people mover" which takes you to large open area where buses, cabs etc are. From there it was maybe 200 yards to the first of 2 bridges we had to cross, walking, our bags all have 4 wheels so you push them along. Once at the Bridges I took them over one by one as wife stayed with the ones waiting to go over. Once over it was only another 60 yards to Hotel. Hotel happy to store bags until checking in a few hours later. I was anxious about doing this but turned out easy, probably 45 minutes from ship to hotel.

This takes some homework because the usual sites that search multiple airlines don't search all. Don't forget Alitalia since you are going to Italy. I don't know where OP lives, but with code sharing and other partner relationships, you can have a first part of your trip on one airline and the second on another. The airline should transfer your luggage, but sometimes you have to get it and recheck. If you are not flying direct (one flight to your destination) leave plenty of time for connections, and fly a day or two early if possible. And while it is always a good idea to travel with an outfit or two in your hand luggage just in case your luggage is lost, I would definitely recommend this when flying with connections on multiple aircraft. Some airlines are very strict about carry on luggage weight, not just size, so check that too if you take a rolling piece on board. I was required to check a piece of luggage that met size restrictions but was slightly overweight.

Almost ALL European hotels will store your luggage either before checkin or after check out. They have done this for us for days at a time.

We just returned from a two week TA followed by a month on land. Someone just asked me my conclusions from the trip. Easy--pack lighter!! We take one 24" suitcase each and a small roll aboard, but even that was too much, and we only wore some of what we brought. Easy to tell on unpacking what was important and what was not. You really do not need to have different outfits for every day, no one notices or cares, make life easy and take half of what you think you'll need. In retrospect, this was ridiculous!!

image.jpg.abb2ba26cdcc00b303e39600720a023c.jpg

Edited by CathyCruises

Prices can be all over the map--literally!

We tend to spend a few days somewhere both pre- and post cruise, so we have options on where to fly in and out of. When we did a Venice to Rome cruise summer before last, rather than flying into Venice, we flew in several days early...to Milan (then out of Rome at the end)...We found more flights and better prices to Milan...We took a week and explored Northern Italy on the way to the cruise--Lake Como, St. Moritz Switzerland, Merano, Verona, Padua...But one can even fly in to Milan the day before the cruise and just take the train to Venice--it is a very short and inexpensive train ride.

My daughter is a bridesmaid in a wedding this August in Tuscany...She scoured the web looking for airfare deals...and ended up flying into Pisa...and out of Paris...managing to do those two legs (SFO to Pisa, Paris to SFO) for only $1300...So, rather than flying in just in time for the wedding, she's going to spend some days touring the Cinque Terra and Florence, then heading to the wedding...and, afterwards, she's taking a cheap European flight from Rome to London, spending a few days with friends in London, then taking the train/chunnel to Paris and leaving from there...This actually saves her a couple thousand dollars over just flying SFO-Florence or SFO-Rome and return...just about pays for the extended part of her trip...

Sometimes it just takes a lot of searching and a little ingenuity...

Always beware that, sometimes, cheaper flights require some ungodly layovers or some large numbers of plane changes...

For me, I usually book it as a "multi-city"...and I try to get non-stops where possible--or as few stops as I can...

But, depending on what airfares you are able to find, don't worry too much if the best fare is just a round trip to Rome...My advice is to always fly in early anyway--gives you time to catch up with several hours of time zone change as well as travel fatigue (do you sleep well on planes?)...and it's a hedge against flight delays, missed connections and lost luggage...If your best option is to fly into Rome, trains between Venice and Rome are quick and easy...

Also, getting to Venice or Rome a little early gives you some time to really see and enjoy the embarkation city...

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Sometimes the multi city option works and sometimes 2 one way tickets are cheaper. I go to a website like kayak and fool around.

We took a transatlantic cruise to Europe and then traveled around for a month. Since we were somewhat flexible on our dates we found a FRA to BUR flight - yay - no dealing with LAX - via SEA - for under $600 and we were able to upgrade to business class for $350 each and had lay flat seats. I thought it was a great deal on Condor.

Edited by Viv0828

Sometimes the multi city option works and sometimes 2 one way tickets are cheaper. I go to a website like kayak and fool around.

We took a transatlantic cruise to Europe and then traveled around for a month. Since we were somewhat flexible on our dates we found a FRA to BUR flight - yay - no dealing with LAX - via SEA - for under $600 and we were able to upgrade to business class for $350 each and had lay flat seats. I thought it was a great deal on Condor.

This is good to know. I have never flown condor but business class OW to Europe for under $1,000 is great. Two years ago I lucked into a OW late fare in business class from FCO to JFK on Lufthsnsa for $850 on celebritys choice air site, which I only use for OW TA flights. Also got a $100 OBC as celebrity was running a special. But do not expect to ever have that kind of luck again.

OP, I cant see where you're traveling from but if it's either coast you should definitely look at Norwegian air. We just flew one way from Oslo to San Francisco nonstop for $639 total for two of us, which included the upgrade for reserve seats, two meals each on board, and one checked bag each. They have similarly good fares from other European cities. Their fleet consists of 787 dream liner's and we found the planes very quiet and comfortable.