In search of perfect small carry-on for women

If you look at it, it's got a cross-bar that's supposed to stabilize a piggybacked bag. Hopefully it will work.

Didn't see that.

Let us know how it works out. Under 4# for a wheeled bag is excellent.

Take a look at IT bags which are very stable, most light weight and much pack able than the Sharpani built shaped ones.

You mentioned IT bags earlier in this thread and I asked if you could post a link to the small size bag you mentioned. I did not see anything that small on Amazon.

I've seen others with IT luggage and it doesn't really grab me. But I'm willing to look at it if you highly recommend it. Just can't find any SMALL sized carry on.

I'm not a fan of the IT - for the same reasons I don't own Lipault - I want a little more substance and am willing to compromise an extra pound of weight to do so. I also love the Eagle Creek & B&R lifetime warranties...

Ebags has a few small wheeled IT options but I'm not seeing a wheeled under seat option http://www.ebags.com/brand/it-luggage

Edited by Hoyaheel

• 1 month later...

An update -- I have been eyeballing the Lo & Sons O.G. bag for a while (even though it doesn't have wheels). I finally broke down and ordered it when it got down to 30% off on sale. I am awaiting its arrival.

Also, I had a chance to use the Sherpani Nuage bag. It's a good size for a quick trip of 2-3 days, handles easily, small enough to be able to wheel it down the aisle of a plane without bumping the seats. :rolleyes: And I was able to piggyback my business laptop backpack on it without it tipping over. Only things I was less thrilled about are the slightly odd size interior (rounded with a sling-like lining on one end, difficult to pack flat) and also the straps for cinching packed items are rather wimpy.

An update -- I have been eyeballing the Lo & Sons O.G. bag for a while (even though it doesn't have wheels). I finally broke down and ordered it when it got down to 30% off on sale. I am awaiting its arrival.

Let me know about its weight! That's one thing that has been holding me back!!! But it would be a great bag for work trips (I heard about it from the road warriors on FlyerTalk!) when I need to be able to carry a tote to meetings after my arrival. But it looks heavy to me....

I had a O.G. for a few trips when I was road warrioring. I didn't care for it, sold it to a guy in my office as he was coveting it & went back to my B&R, a little heavy but it's like a Timex, takes s licking & keeps on ticking

I had a O.G. for a few trips when I was road warrioring. I didn't care for it,

Size, weight, organization?

I have a B&R but it's pretty small - I don't like it for international air travel, and my 15" laptop barely fits (not sure I can zip the top if I carry it)

I had a O.G. for a few trips when I was road warrioring. I didn't care for it, sold it to a guy in my office as he was coveting it & went back to my B&R, a little heavy but it's like a Timex, takes s licking & keeps on ticking

Size, weight, organization?

Yes, I'd like to know too -- what did you not like about it?

I'm looking at a B&R rollaboard (the international wide-body), but none of their smaller totes/bags really appeal to me.

I didn't like the rounded inside & it just wasn't a good fit, my laptop didn't fit well & I had issues fitting work clothes in it. My B&R is ancient, 19" (I don't know if they still make that size) my laptop fits in the outside zip & I got a weeks worth of work clothes (I wore the suit jacket) without a problem & workout clothes & sneakers. I also have a Tumi that I'm liking better with each trip

Edited by awhfy

http://www.amazon.com/Delsey-Quilted-Rolling-UnderSeat-EXCLUSIVE/dp/B00BRK3VUS

I have this one and I LOVE it! Holds a lot....I've actually had a weeks worth of clothing in their for me. It has many compartments...I love the fact that my iPad mini will slide into one of the small compartments where I can get to it easily during a flight. It's very well made.

Tagging onto the thread because I just got this under seat roller after it was out of stock for a while. I'm new to travel and on my first cruise (last month) I realized I really do need something small and wheeled. I carry a lot of electronics and generally still have too much stuff I HAVE to have with me. So far I am cautiously happy with this bag, and it can accommodate a 13" MacBook Air in a sleeve (you'll want a sleeve, no compartment for it), and a lot of other stuff. However, the first one arrived with a ripped seam. Ebags was great and sent a replacement instantly (I was allowed to send the ripped one back later). New one is fine, but I'm not sanguine that this was anything like a lifelong investment. :)

Still has a lot of bells and whistles and I bet an experienced packer (which I am not) could get several days' worth of stuff in it.

Edited by perditax

I didn't like the rounded inside & it just wasn't a good fit, my laptop didn't fit well & I had issues fitting work clothes in it. My B&R is ancient, 19" (I don't know if they still make that size) my laptop fits in the outside zip & I got a weeks worth of work clothes (I wore the suit jacket) without a problem & workout clothes & sneakers. I also have a Tumi that I'm liking better with each trip

Thanks for the additional info on the L&S bag. In my case, I'm not looking for it to be my one and only. I plan to use it together with a rollaboard that would have my clothes in it.

Hoping I like it, but if not I won't hesitate to send it back!

Thanks for the info! I have a 19" eagle creek I use as my rolling carry-on for international (and some domestic) trips - I'm looking for the "personal" item that fits under my seat. I have totes I love for travel, but they're too colorful/casual to bring on a business trip for meetings etc. (I looked at Tumi & B&R at the time I bought the Eagle Creek but didn't like any of their options at the time, so I went with EC and I do love it!! Last year I got a 22" B&R and also the 25" version of my 19" EC for when I have to have a larger bag -I don't use it often but it's nice to have) Um, have I mentioned my luggage addiction recently? :o

Let me know about its weight! That's one thing that has been holding me back!!! But it would be a great bag for work trips (I heard about it from the road warriors on FlyerTalk!) when I need to be able to carry a tote to meetings after my arrival. But it looks heavy to me....

Well, I got the OG bag a couple of days ago and I've had a chance to play with it a little. I like it overall but I'm on the fence about a few things.....

Weight -- it is very light when unpacked, it really does weigh in at about 2 lbs. That may seem like a lot if you are used to carrying a completely unstructured lightweight tote. But for those used to a more structured bag/briefcase combo, it's pretty lightweight. My favorite Baggallini rolling tote weighs in at about 5 lbs -- but it is wheeled, and it also holds more. (In fact, the more I look at other bags, the more I realize what a clever little bag that Baggallini really is. :))

To me, the OG bag seems primarily designed for the work/business traveler or alternatively for a vacation traveler who wants to use it to carry primarily their electronics, valuables (jewelry, etc.), and in-flight items plus an additional pair of shoes (more on this later....) This isn't necessarily a downside. But I was hoping it would be one of those "Houdini" bags (you know -- the ones that look smaller but fit a lot of stuff inside), and it really isn't. I found that after I loaded in my laptop + charger and mouse, a few files, a magazine, my Kindle, headphones, 3-1-1 bag, phone, and a small, thin crossbody bag to use at destination (with wallet & a few other items inside), I was starting to max out the space.

I added a paperback, a couple of Powerbars and a pair of shoes, then hefted it to my shoulder. Pretty heavy. I could stuff in a few more items -- maybe a light sweater or shawl (but it would probably wrinkle unless carefully inserted), small camera, small jewelry pouch.

Yes, you can fit it easily over the handles of a wheeled suitcase or a larger carry-on (e.g., a 22"). But if you will have to carry it around on its own and not atop another bag, it could begin to feel like you're lugging a bag of bricks around.

The shoe section -- this feature is a little underwhelming. It sounds great having a separate compartment to tuck your shoes in. What is evident (but not clear until you try it) is that using the shoe compartment does take space out of what you can fit inside the bag. Just wanted to make that clear. Again, I was hoping for some magic spatial properties or design that would allow you to tuck the shoes into some unused space....

The bag itself is extremely good looking. I got the black model with camel inside and silver hardware. If I keep the bag, I'll probably get annoyed with the hanging round "jewelry" with the Lo & Sons logo and take them off. :rolleyes: But everything seems well designed and constructed, including the small but sturdy looking feet on the bottom of the bag and the handles. My only beef with the design is that I wish the zippers went further down the sides, allowing you to open the bag more widely.

So in the end, I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a great looking bag to take the place of a business satchel or briefcase -- e.g., for toting mostly electronics and papers plus a few plane "necessaries."

If you were hoping for more, e.g., a bag with these features but also room for maybe a change of clothes and a few more personal items, then this may not be the bag for you.

As I said, I'm not 100% sure if I will keep it. I probably will, just because it's a great looking bag that doesn't look like the typical men's briefcase or satchel. But I really wanted a bit more out of it than I'm getting (at least so far). :cool:

Thanks for the thorough review! It doesn't really sound like it'll do the trick for me - I do prefer a more unstructured bag (even if I am looking for something more businesslike right now - my "business" is still pretty casual)

I am another of Slidergirl's Sherpani victims. Someone needs to stop her.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa…;)

I am loathe to mention something from a "celebrity", I just got the Travelsmith catalog Saturday. They have a "Samantha Brown" luggage line. There is a satchel that has the handle pass-thru. It looks a little upscale, but it seems heavy to me. Dimensions are 15.75 x7 x 12.5. Wt is 2 lbs, 6.3 oz.

Thought I'd toss that out for everyone.

Edited by slidergirl

I'm a baddd girl…

Just got another email from Sherpani. Some new bags came out. One that could have a little potential here is the new Soleil. $100. Shoulder strap, or backpack straps, or arm/hand loops. Pass-thru to put on your roller handle.

I'm a baddd girl…

Just got another email from Sherpani. Some new bags came out. One that could have a little potential here is the new Soleil. $100. Shoulder strap, or backpack straps, or arm/hand loops. Pass-thru to put on your roller handle.

Why did it have to come in purple? Why? Why? Why?

I just scored a $90 baggalini backpack for $30 at TJ Maxx about a month ago, so I can't justify this, although it's getting wishlisted. I'm still a travel newb so trying different things as I go.

Why did it have to come in purple? Why? Why? Why?

I just scored a $90 baggalini backpack for $30 at TJ Maxx about a month ago, so I can't justify this, although it's getting wishlisted. I'm still a travel newb so trying different things as I go.

Feel free to blame me. Everyone at work blames me for everything, so I'm used to it ;)

I'm a luggage slut. I have way more than what I need. And Sherpani just fuels my need for that special little "travel bag." But, I really do use many of my Sherpani when I come home. My day bag is still my trusty Sherpani daypack with the Surfer Girl motif. For going into town on a day off, it's usually my Willow or Petal bag. If I need to drag more stuff, I'll take my Verona. The Nola is saved for my weekend/beach bag.

Thanks for the thorough review! It doesn't really sound like it'll do the trick for me - I do prefer a more unstructured bag (even if I am looking for something more businesslike right now - my "business" is still pretty casual)

I took the OG bag for a "test drive" at a three-day meeting. It is too heavy to carry when fully loaded, and the not-quite-wide enough opening quickly became a drag. I'm going to return it.

Still looking for a wheeled small bag....

Bummer! But at least you tried it:p

I might have identified my next travel for business tote/flight personal item - the Briggs & Riley Sympatico shopper. Larger than my current (very old) B&R tote (which I find too small for flying, esp with a laptop) but still not oversized and would look good for business meetings. New, so I haven't found any sales yet;)

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shopping-tote-4

Cynthia - I got a new wheeled carry on at Costco in store.. holds my meds, camera/electronic stuff and 2 days worth of clothes. It does fit under the seat in front and is lightweight. It even looks small so the gatekeepers at Air Canada did not even ask to weigh it (good thing). You may be able to find it on the website or something similar. My s.i.l. got a 'business' carry on that carries the same amount & his laptop there.

Shar