MITSUGIRLYS DAWN TO BERMUDA NOVEL (or review as some may call it)

mitsugirly

Hey Kim can you please go on a cruise right away? I'm patiently awaiting your next review!

It's a possibility. ;) We have one booked for next month. :D

Thank you for all the time with this review.

Wonder how much has changed since this trip? The posts are dated fall 2015 but I'm sure only the newer public areas are now different.

Thanks for your comment and glad you enjoyed it.

I actually considered booking this again to Bermuda just to see the changes. But I know there have been a lot of complaints on social media since the refurb (ship not finished, things not working, and especially complaints about the plumbing...including toilets not working in cabins) and decided I would hold off and booked something else instead. :(

I actually considered booking this again to Bermuda just to see the changes. But I know there have been a lot of complaints on social media since the refurb (ship not finished, things not working, and especially complaints about the plumbing...including toilets not working in cabins) and decided I would hold off and booked something else instead. :(

Kim What do you think about the new water and soda that we are not allowed to bring onboard starting July 15.

Kim What do you think about the new water and soda that we are not allowed to bring onboard starting July 15.

Quite pissed. :p I'm a soda-holic and live and breathe my pop! I know they are doing this to make more money from cruisers...but I am not one of them. I bring my own pop, so that I'll have one in my room in the evenings and not have to run upstairs to a bar to wait in line to get me a nice cup filled with ice for the 2 ounces of soda they'll put in it and race back to the room to a glass that is now watered down. I also use my pop for going ashore to the beaches we go to. We don't always go to a place that has a place to buy something.

BUT the difference is, I ALWAYS buy their soda package! Every cruise, every ship, every cruiseline! So does the hubby, so we are not even buying one and sharing it like I'm sure others try to do. So they have never missed out on money with me. :(

It's really sad that it has come to it, but I totally understand they are in the business to make money. But to say that they are doing it for "security reasons" and so on is just a load of crap and honestly quite "normal" for NCL these days...for your convenience of course. :rolleyes: (Not a Del Rio fan at all). If it was a security thing, you wouldn't be allowed to bring any bottles on board...shampoo and so on. Just my thoughts.

Quite pissed. :p I'm a soda-holic and live and breathe my pop! I know they are doing this to make more money from cruisers...but I am not one of them. I bring my own pop, so that I'll have one in my room in the evenings and not have to run upstairs to a bar to wait in line to get me a nice cup filled with ice for the 2 ounces of soda they'll put in it and race back to the room to a glass that is now watered down. I also use my pop for going ashore to the beaches we go to. We don't always go to a place that has a place to buy something.

BUT the difference is, I ALWAYS buy their soda package! Every cruise, every ship, every cruiseline! So does the hubby, so we are not even buying one and sharing it like I'm sure others try to do. So they have never missed out on money with me. :(

It's really sad that it has come to it, but I totally understand they are in the business to make money. But to say that they are doing it for "security reasons" and so on is just a load of crap and honestly quite "normal" for NCL these days...for your convenience of course. :rolleyes: (Not a Del Rio fan at all). If it was a security thing, you wouldn't be allowed to bring any bottles on board...shampoo and so on. Just my thoughts.

We have the drink package and the boys have a soda package for our next trip. It was part of the promo when we booked last July for this Oct.

But hubby is still not to happy about this because he likes coke zero not pepsi products. Not a deal breaker but just a thought.

He gets the soda package on Princess and gets a large soda with no ice at the pool bar. This lasts him through the evening and he adds ice to a smaller glass so it's not watered down. I don't drink soda just coffee,tea, water & booze :D.

We have the drink package and the boys have a soda package for our next trip. It was part of the promo when we booked last July for this Oct.

But hubby is still not to happy about this because he likes coke zero not pepsi products. Not a deal breaker but just a thought.

He gets the soda package on Princess and gets a large soda with no ice at the pool bar. This lasts him through the evening and he adds ice to a smaller glass so it's not watered down. I don't drink soda just coffee,tea, water & booze :D.

Yea, we have the UBP on our next Epic cruise too. But that still doesn't help me with wanting one in my room or taking them into port with me. :( At least I'm pretty versatile with my diet drinks. I can drink diet pepsi or diet coke or coke zero and even caffeine free and I'm good.

We are going Oct 7th on the Dawn - hopefully things will be straightened out by then.. I always hear to not go on a ship right out of Dry Dock ..

By the way Kim... Would LOVE to stalk you again on a cruise! :D and am looking forward to your trip review next month!!!

It's a possibility. ;) I know there have been a lot of complaints on social media since the refurb (ship not finished, things not working, and especially complaints about the plumbing...including toilets not working in cabins) and decided I would hold off and booked something else instead. :(

I think that is a good call. I ran into bathroom issues in my cabin.

We are going Oct 7th on the Dawn - hopefully things will be straightened out by then.. I always hear to not go on a ship right out of Dry Dock ..

By the way Kim... Would LOVE to stalk you again on a cruise! :D and am looking forward to your trip review next month!!!

Hopefully they will have the kinks worked out by then.

Stalk away. :D

I think that is a good call. I ran into bathroom issues in my cabin.

There's a lot of people reporting this that are returning. :(

So what do you have booked for next month? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

We are cruising out of San Juan PR.

Five port intensive days of fun! :D

St Thomas

St Maarten

St Kitts

St Lucia

Barbados

Two new ports for me! :D

We are cruising out of San Juan PR.

Five port intensive days of fun! :D

St Thomas

St Maarten

St Kitts

St Lucia

Barbados

Two new ports for me! :D

That is an amazing itinerary! Please tell me you are getting to San Juan early enough before the cruise to go to bio bay. I want to live vicariously through your review since RC canceled it on our cruise last July (and that was the whole reason I booked that specific cruise).

Michelle

Nice itinerary. I swam with the Sharks my last time in St Thomas. Really fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did that last time we were in Belize and yes, it is pretty amazing! :D

That is an amazing itinerary! Please tell me you are getting to San Juan early enough before the cruise to go to bio bay. I want to live vicariously through your review since RC canceled it on our cruise last July (and that was the whole reason I booked that specific cruise).

Michelle

While our plans are not finalized yet, we do plan on coming in at least 2 days ahead of time so that I can do the bio tour. I'm just trying to figure out what day to fly in, what time is best, and where to stay. So many options to consider. :eek: :p :o

• 5 months later...

I know I am reviving a dead thread but I am going on the Dawn in a few days so I have been reading your review...

Anyways I just wanted to let you know how much I adore reading your posts. The bond between you and Sakari is seriously beautiful. I get serious baby fever every time I read a review. It's truly a beautiful bond that you have, I hope you can somehow download these reviews and save them so someday she can look back and really understand the love that you have for her.

Seriously, every time I read a review it makes me realize how beautiful the idea of having a family of my own is.

Thanks

I know I am reviving a dead thread but I am going on the Dawn in a few days so I have been reading your review...

Anyways I just wanted to let you know how much I adore reading your posts. The bond between you and Sakari is seriously beautiful. I get serious baby fever every time I read a review. It's truly a beautiful bond that you have, I hope you can somehow download these reviews and save them so someday she can look back and really understand the love that you have for her.

Seriously, every time I read a review it makes me realize how beautiful the idea of having a family of my own is.

Thanks

Awww, thank you so much. You just made my heart melt with your beautiful comments. I seriously appreciate it and so incredibly happy that my feelings and our bond can actually show so well behind a computer screen using only words and a few (lol) pictures. She is my pride and joy. Family is everything and my kids are my world. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I will add that I have already booked THIS SAME ROOM for another Dawn to Bermuda cruise next year...same time (June 3), same ship (Dawn) same cabin (12041). I'm just glad I liked the room so much after seeing because I booked before this cruise started. HOWEVER....I'm not sure if I will be keeping it. More on that later.....

Thanks so much for the detailed description on the "sideways" cabins and the photos. I just switched our inside cabins to these cabins after reading your review and seeing the photos. You have to love CruiseCritic and its dedicated reviewers like yourself. Can't wait for our 10 day New Year's cruise in 2017 now!

Thanks so much for the detailed description on the "sideways" cabins and the photos. I just switched our inside cabins to these cabins after reading your review and seeing the photos. You have to love CruiseCritic and its dedicated reviewers like yourself. Can't wait for our 10 day New Year's cruise in 2017 now!

I really like the sideways cabins. They are unique and feel like more room to me. These are especially nice because they were part of the remodel and they look new. Enjoy and have a wonderful New Years cruise next year. Sounds like a lot of fun. :D

It took me 3 days to go through this. Thanks Kim. Now I have to go and grab the Breakaway and then decide which ship to pick for our September cruise. Thank you again!

:D Well I would say you probably did it in record time. Give yourself a pat on the back. :) I'm pretty long winded. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise! I personally enjoyed the Breakaway more because of the time and days we were there. But, it's great to go there either way.

• 2 weeks later...
On to the bathroom. It was pretty and very up-to-date. It had the same earth tone colors that we had in our mini-suite on the Getaway and I loved it. (The only thing missing was that awesome dual/triple shower thingy ma-bob in the shower that squirted out up and down your body...man that thing was nice). <--Ok, back to reality that I only have an interior. (You win some, you lose some).

It had your normal glass shelving like all the other interiors and balconies I have been in.

I have to mention...since we have been cruising regularly since 2010, it was only AFTER I went on our first Carnival cruise that I noticed this. When we were on Carnival, they paid attention to small little details and one that I noticed was they would fold the bathroom toilet paper in an arrow shape. I thought it was cute because I have only seen that done at hotels in the past. Shortly after that cruise (and my review where I mentioned this...just adding that in there) all of our NCL cruises after that are now doing this. LOL Is it possible NCL reads all of my cruise reviews and took note? :p (I do know for sure that some of the NCL staff does read the reviews and I only know this because back when I did my Epic review, they read it and even COMMENTED on it thanking me for the review...which was a honor because I went back and looked at their post count and what they had commented on in the past and it was not very much at all and I don't think they had ever commented on an actual review at that time....so yea, I felt like royalty at the time and my Epic review wasn't even that great LOL) But THIS cruise I noticed that not only was the toilet paper folded like that...SO WAS THE TISSUES. LOL They are either adding more details or my room steward is trying to bonus up her brownie points with us. LOL

P6050048%20copy-L.jpg

P6050057%20copy-L.jpg

The shower had the adjustable shower head that moved up and down the wall, which Sakari just loves because I can adjust it down to "her size" when she showers. Short people problems...:p

P6050056%20copy-L.jpg

P6050055%20copy-L.jpg

So that is a tour of our room.

I loved this room and I will try to get a sideways cabin any time 1) they have them available or 2) our budget allows for it (because they are not the "lowest" interior priced category).

I will add that I have already booked THIS SAME ROOM for another Dawn to Bermuda cruise next year...same time (June 3), same ship (Dawn) same cabin (12041). I'm just glad I liked the room so much after seeing because I booked before this cruise started. HOWEVER....I'm not sure if I will be keeping it. More on that later.....

Thanks so much for this detailed review of the sideways cabins! We're in one (12039) on the Dawn in March and I was hoping it would feel more spacious like you said. I also love being on a high deck close to the pool and everything so I think this will be perfect for us!

Thanks so much for this detailed review of the sideways cabins! We're in one (12039) on the Dawn in March and I was hoping it would feel more spacious like you said. I also love being on a high deck close to the pool and everything so I think this will be perfect for us!

I hope you enjoy the sideways room as much as we did.

Also, if you ever decide to go on one of the even older ships, such as the Asian themed Spirit, they have sideways cabins that seem even bigger (there's room at the end of the bed and a couch on the side that pulls out into a bed, therefore, giving you more of a studio apartment type of feel lol). We loved the Spirit! :)

• 5 weeks later...
I just bought a Olympus TG-4. Any tips on getting great color shots with it?

There are so many settings on the Olympus Tough. I would suggest playing around with it and changing the settings until you see something that you like. If you put it on the miniature setting, it really pops the colors, but you get the focus in one area with the blur around it (that's what causes the miniature look). I use landscape a lot because it pops the colors in the landscape with the blues and greens. It does have a setting under the program mode with a "vivid" color setting in it with a bunch of other settings. There's just so many various settings and I'm always switching back and forth with them until I get something that I like. It also has a HDR setting, but depending on the background, it can get a little harsh. Have fun with the camera...I find them pretty darn amazing. :D