Most boring port ever??

I agree that the Bahamas are on my dreary list. I only get off the ship to stretch my legs... and would never schedule a trip just to go there.

I'll chime in on Prince Rupert- not impressed

Astoria though is charming. I was there last month on a cruise and went to a wonderful maritime museum and then took a cab to Fort Clatsop. We had a wonderful day there, felt safe and the whole town is so welcoming...you also aren't approached to sell you drugs or to pick your pocket. Recommended!

Acapulco didn't impress. Felt unsafe it was uninspiring. The only recommended thing was the cliff divers.

I agree that the Bahamas are on my dreary list. I only get off the ship to stretch my legs... and would never schedule a trip just to go there.

I'll chime in on Prince Rupert- not impressed

Astoria though is charming. I was there last month on a cruise and went to a wonderful maritime museum and then took a cab to Fort Clatsop. We had a wonderful day there, felt safe and the whole town is so welcoming...you also aren't approached to sell you drugs or to pick your pocket. Recommended!

Acapulco didn't impress. Felt unsafe it was uninspiring. The only recommended thing was the cliff divers.

HI

About feeling unsave,go to Constanta ( Black Sea Romania )

The only nice thing in town is the ship.

Have a nice cruise.

Copenhagen.

Theres Tivoli and thats it.

Been to so many European major cities and it just did not cut it.They bang on about how eco their city is and how great their new builds are...yawn. The choice of watering holes and restaurants was so so too.

Edited by Velvetwater

We've found no ports boring first time around. :)

Second time around we look for things to do rather than things to see.

Third time around there's quite a few candidates. ;)

But Boston sure ain't among them :)

But some ports are unsafe without an expensive excursion.

Ports like La Guairá or Colon - far worse than just plain boring.

And we once had a mechanically-enforced extra day in Port Sokhna, a secure industrial Red Sea port in the middle of desert. Watching the port-handling equipment playing Lego with containers is interesting for a while - but mebbe not for 8 hours solid.

Never been to a port when we didn't want to get off - even the "boring" ones. Cheaper booze, free wifi, mixing with the locals.

Yikes, Velvetwater. How many bars do you want along the harbour at Nyhavn? :confused:

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Yikes, Velvetwater. How many bars do you want along the harbour at Nyhavn? :confused:

JB :)

Quality over Quantity :D

As a CAMRA member theres other cities around Europe that quench my thirst for the good stuff and while the Med isn't great for beer its amazing for wine so it gets away with it...and oh ...Med food.The Canal front is rather pretty and while we did find a few interesting watering holes with good unusual beers it was sparse compared to others.

Aside from culinary things, its just a bit hum drum in comparison to other nearby cities and ports in looks and character. I did enjoy it don't get me wrong but it still stands as the most boring port if I had to choose.

Edited by Velvetwater

Quality over Quantity :D

As a CAMRA member theres other cities around Europe that quench my thirst for the good stuff and while the Med isn't great for beer its amazing for wine so it gets away with it...and oh ...Med food.The Canal front is rather pretty and while we did find a few interesting watering holes with good unusual beers it was sparse compared to others.

Aside from culinary things, its just a bit hum drum in comparison to other nearby cities and ports in looks and character. I did enjoy it don't get me wrong but it still stands as the most boring port if I had to choose.

OK Velvetwater, game on.

I'll match your alcoholically-challenged Copenhagen with a freezing cold Helsinki. And raise you a hermetically-sealed Singapore. :p

Match that if you dare.

JB :D

Most boring for us has been Xiamen China...just recently one of our ports onboard RCI Mariner from Singapore-Shanghai. Otherwise the itinerary was great but would have rather spent more time in either Vietnam or Hong Kong...Xiamen what a waste...JMHO ;)

Frot de France, on a Sunday, hands down. Everything closes down it the town becomes a ghost town. I always get off in every port, but I don't even bother frustrating myself on a hopeless quest for something to do. It's about time HAL skips this port or at least makes sure they come here on weekdays.

Long Beach and Ensenada ... get my vote.

I beg to differ. We stayed overnight in Long Beach before a Carnival Mexico/Hawaii cruise. I loved the old downtown architecture. There were also enough restaurants and interesting sights without requiring transportation.

I also hope you will reconsider Ensenada the next time you are there. On that self-same cruise we stopped in Ensenada. We went to the old part. This was before Christmas and the stuff was old and dirty. Pathetic. Then I saw a couple of cowboys walk into a tavern and we decided to take a peak. For the next hour and a half we became part of a real-life Mexican fiesta. One part of the single room -- with sawdust on the floor -- was occupied by a wedding celebration. We saw what Mexican bridesmaids and grooms wear; they looked awfully stiff and uncomfortable in their festive outfits. The bar was lined up with cowboys who had come down from the hill. Priceless. (I think the name of the place is Hassong's).

On the shuttle back to the port we saw a market area, within an easy walk from the ship. By that time we were ready to return, though.

Give Ensenada a chance.

I also hope you will reconsider Ensenada the next time you are there. On that self-same cruise we stopped in Ensenada. We went to the old part. This was before Christmas and the stuff was old and dirty. Pathetic. Then I saw a couple of cowboys walk into a tavern and we decided to take a peak. For the next hour and a half we became part of a real-life Mexican fiesta. One part of the single room -- with sawdust on the floor -- was occupied by a wedding celebration. We saw what Mexican bridesmaids and grooms wear; they looked awfully stiff and uncomfortable in their festive outfits. The bar was lined up with cowboys who had come down from the hill. Priceless. (I think the name of the place is Hassong's).

Not on a cruise but years ago a group of 8 of us went to Ensenada for the weekend. We too found a local bar. OMG. The best time ever. We were the only non locals. A word of advise. If the US and Mexico are playing a soccer game on the TV remember where you are sitting :D. We drank from late morning, went and bought sandwiches off the street vendor bringing one for the bartender. Laughed with the local cowboys. We had the funnest day ever. My friend paid the bill thinking she was paying for the last round. Nope, our entire bill for the whole day was around $30. The bottom line to the story is find a local bar and have fun. They have cleaned the town up pretty well.

OK Velvetwater, game on.

I'll match your alcoholically-challenged Copenhagen with a freezing cold Helsinki. And raise you a hermetically-sealed Singapore. :p

Match that if you dare.

JB :D

Haha :)

Not been to Singapore but almost booked a cruise that ended there this year then the flights went up. Indifferent to go but with our lust for an Asian cruise we will likely end up there so I will let you know.

When we were in Helsinki the weather was not bad apart from a massive rain shower in the morning. Helsinki gets Beer points for its unusual fresh Sahiti beer and the wonderful markets we found but is only just above Copenhagen in the boring port chart.

Edited by Velvetwater

Not one of my favorite cities. But when we were last there two years ago they were building a new cruise port, with a dedicated metro station. That will bring all kinds of economic activity close to the piers.

The worst thing about Singapore are afternoon showers. Impossible to get a cab anywhere. An Australian businessman finally rescued us and shared his to take us to our departing ship.

I dare anyone to say any port is worse than Prince Rupert in Canada, which we had to go to on one of our Alaskan cruises to satisfy foreign port requirement. Absolutely nothing to do there. What a waste of time.

We very much enjoyed walking around in Prince Rupert. We found a tiny bakery with delicious pretzels and Napoleans and talked to some locals in a park. Great day.

I have never been bored anywhere.

Haha :)

Not been to Singapore but almost booked a cruise that ended there this year then the flights went up. Indifferent to go but with our lust for an Asian cruise we will likely end up there so I will let you know.

When we were in Helsinki the weather was not bad apart from a massive rain shower in the morning. Helsinki gets Beer points for its unusual fresh Sahiti beer and the wonderful markets we found but is only just above Copenhagen in the boring port chart.

I would go to Singapore again just to eat at Lau Pa Sat...the best Satay ever at the nightly street vendor's that set up there each night at 7:00pm :p

I am not a fan of Grand Turk because there is nothing I want to do there. I do not like Margaritaville or their beach.

Amen brother. Since almost every cruise we go on stops at Grand Turk, we don't even bother getting off the ship anymore

The port for LA. There were no local buses and no transport except an expensive ship shuttle with long line-ups. We went back on the ship because there was absolutely nothing to do and nothing to walk to even.