Most boring port ever??

Care to offer some suggestions?

I did tons of research and the best I could come up with was a day pass at the Grand Lucayan. Would have probably been a great day on a gorgeous beach but we got there and they said they were not selling day passes that day. They told this to people who had already pre-paid!! We still went on the beach which was absolutely gorgeous but that experience left a sour taste in our mouth. Not to mention the drive to the resort was absolutely hideous. The place looks entirely run down and unsafe. Every store or gas station we passed had bars all over their windows/doors and cops were everywhere (that should be a plus, I guess).

The town of Freeport itself is nothing special, but other parts of the island are gorgeous. We rented a car and drove to some of the national parks. Lucayan National Park is where you can visit the many underwater caves. Along the way we also found amazing beaches, no tourists, and had the beaches to ourselves.

http://www.grandbahamavacations.com/national-parks/

We actually liked Freeport- did a bike ride all over the island and it was great- very flat and nice to get some exercise. Port Canaveral is pretty bad. Not a bad Port to sail from, but not there long enough to have an interesting day as a port stop. People who go to Disney complain that they actually only get 1/2 a day there because of the travel time, and NASA is also a long day. I am not a fan of Grand Turk because there is nothing I want to do there. I do not like Margaritaville or their beach.

I also try to avoid cruises with tender ports because that eats up your day.

My least favorite East-Coast port: Nassau

My least favorite West-Coast port: Ensenada

Whenever I have an itinerary that includes one of these, I just pencil that in as our "private yacht day" -- to stay onboard and enjoy a quiet and uncrowded ship. :cool:

Visiting both on an upcoming but I am excited!

Total Package in Nassau, Boat + wave runners + para sail + snorkel + lunch and rum punch on the beach? Count me in.

In Freeport, kayak through the mangroves and snorkel with lunch and drinks a a local beach dive, can't wait! http://calabashecoadventures.com/tours.html#kea2

In Freeport, for $6 each way you can go to a very nice beach, and it is free if you enter the public entrance and walk down. Very nice day.

We also went on a great 2-hour kayaking trip in Freeport with the ship.

In Nassau, we go to Cable Beach for $1.25 each way with the public bus. Look forward to it each time. Sit on the chairs at the beach. Excellent day.

In Port Canaveral, there is Kennedy Space Center, Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge (rent a car for $35), Brevard Zoo, very underrated. We never go to the theme parks.

And of course, Cocoa Beach if you want a beach.

Do some research. You may find things to do.

We actually liked Freeport- did a bike ride all over the island and it was great- very flat and nice to get some exercise. Port Canaveral is pretty bad. Not a bad Port to sail from, but not there long enough to have an interesting day as a port stop. People who go to Disney complain that they actually only get 1/2 a day there because of the travel time, and NASA is also a long day. I am not a fan of Grand Turk because there is nothing I want to do there. I do not like Margaritaville or their beach.

I also try to avoid cruises with tender ports because that eats up your day.

Grand Turk is one of my favorites! Leave the port area, every beach on the island is public. We had a gorgeous stretch of beach to ourselves. Great meal at a beach bar. One of the best vacation days we've ever had. [emoji2]

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Drum Roll Please!

And, the "winner" is:

Oh my! It is a tie!

Costa Maya, Freeport, and Grand Turk!

(Followed by groans from the ports' tourism officials and the executives at Carnival Corporations that spent money to develop Costa Maya and Grand Turk.)

Been there and done that; I will stay aboard ship and enjoy her facilities.

Enjoyed all ports in the Caribbean, there's always a beach or at least a bar with decent drinks to be had!

Our least favorite port ever was Ponza in Italy.

The weather was cool, we didn't stay long and it was a holiday of sorts so everything was closed.

We would like to go back and experience it under different conditions.

Heck, some people cruise to New England, apparently, and they leave from Boston. I don't get it, but somebody must be enjoying it.

I am in Boston every day and live in the suburbs and cannot understand why people would not want to see the city, especially in the summer or fall. If you started in Boston, you could spend some time pre-cruise at the Cape or Martha's Vineyard, hang out at Seaport, do a harbor cruise, see some history, go to the North End, the Boston Common, the Public Gardens, ride the swan boats. We've cruised to many European cities and Boston doesn't come up short agains too many of them.

I have only been to Nassau once but quite enjoyed it. Ensenada would be very low on the totem poll, followed by Trinidad. St. Vincent was fun to visit once but not sure what we would do if we went back. I hate to say it, but here in BC, it would be Nanaimo on Vancouver Is.

I am in Boston every day and live in the suburbs and cannot understand why people would not want to see the city, especially in the summer or fall. If you started in Boston, you could spend some time pre-cruise at the Cape or Martha's Vineyard, hang out at Seaport, do a harbor cruise, see some history, go to the North End, the Boston Common, the Public Gardens, ride the swan boats. We've cruised to many European cities and Boston doesn't come up short agains too many of them.

Boston is amazing! But I don't think that was the point of the post. The point, however, is lost on me. But Boston is AMAZING!

I guess from your post that you love to cruise to warm weather ports for sun-and-surf fun. You cannot understand why someone would sail from Boston in cooler weather.

My reasons are these: I travel for art, history and architecture, not weather. (Allergic to chlorine and sun!) Never been to the Caribbean, but perhaps one day. Never been to Boston, either. But I would choose the northeast and Canada over the islands any day!

It all comes down to what we look for in a vacation.

Does this make better sense to you?

I dare anyone to say any port is worse than Prince Rupert in Canada, which we had to go to on one of our Alaskan cruises to satisfy foreign port requirement. Absolutely nothing to do there. What a waste of time.

As for Boston, it is one of my favorite walking cities in the world.

Red Sox, on the other hand, are a different story (I am a born and bred New Yorker. Nuf said)