Ship tour on the megaships.

UKLloyd

Hi all,

Just a quick one.

Has anybody done the backstage tour of the ship on one of the megaships? What do you get to see and was it worth the cost? (how much?)

Would you recommend it?

Many thanks in advance.

We did the behind the scenes tour on the Getaway in Aug 2014. I believe it was 79$ per person. We saw the illusionarium theater and the backstage for that, the galley/kitchen, laundry area, crew hallways, bridge, garbage disposal area. It was pretty fun and we felt like it was worth the cost. You also received a "complimentary" photo in the kitchen in a frame.

We done the behind the scenes tour on the Breakaway. We saw the galley and kitchen area, laundry room, crew lounge, bridge and garbage disposal area. It was free for us as we are platinum.

We have done the free Platinum tours on Dawn and Breakaway. Very interesting and fun to see. You need to be able to walk a lot and go up and down some staircases. The laundry areas are really fascinating especially on the larger ships.

Free Platinum tour nowadays pales in comparison to the actual Behind the Scenes tour. The real tour lasts about 2,5 hours and in my opinion is definitely worth the price for those interested, but the Platinum tours are much shorter, cruise consultants are much less knowledgeable that actual people working at their departments, and we've even been outright lied to when questining cruise consultant's "facts" on such tour.

So when thinking about the paid tour, what happens on the light version tour is not relevant in any way.

We did the Breakaway and it was very good and impressive to see the laundry, the recycle center, the kitchens, hallways, the backstage of the shows and the Bridge.

Ours was broken up into two days with the Bridge being separate on the second day. The ship tour was about 2 hours long and then the Bridge was about an hour

A few years back we did the Kitchen tour of a huge All Inclusive Resort which included the laundry and stock room areas. That was also impressive to see!

It gives you a much better perspective of just what it takes to keep the whole place running!

Check the Freestyle Daily (Day 1's) on your BA sailing, we usually read it while still waiting to board as we arrive early at Pier 88 / MCT to finish checking in - follow the procedures on how to book the paid ($79 USD, prices subject to change) tour, it was offered twice for our 7 days sailing on 2 (sea) days - comfortable walking shoes with covered toes (no sandels) as you will be climbing some crew stairs, etc. for the 2.5 to 3 hour duration as well as standing, etc.

It is NOT avaiable, AFAIK, for advanced booking - space were still available to book on Day 4 during our sailing. It's a good way for non-Platinum pax to use some of the OBC.

Note for the free Platinum tour it seems to be scheduled to happen at the same time or overlap time of the CC M&G.

And that's why when I'm host of the M&G I make sure to speak to the coordinator vie e-mail to verify that the times won't be the same. They've changed the time of the behind the scene tour for me once and changed the time of the M&G for me once. Other times, they were already scheduled to be different times so all could attend both if the desired,

Harriet

What a great price! My dh paid 150.00 on the Allure. :)

I maybe wrong but I actually think it costs more now than $79.00. Maybe someone can confirm this. I usually don't go on the Platinum tours anymore because once you've seen it 7 times it's the same old....same old. However, last week in the Gem my GF had never been so we went. Was almost 3 hours! Did the kitchen/galley, bakery kitchen (they gave us free samples of Chocolate Covered Strawberries, garbage recycle, water cleaning system (They call it something else but I can't remember), laundry, and the backstage of the theater. I was also lucky enough that as host of the Meet and Greet they honored my request and scheduled a bridge tour for all those in attendance at the Meet and Greet (That lasted about an hour and they had to do two sessions to get every CC member in)...they sent the CC members a letter with the day and time, which was last sea day.

Harriet