Long drink lines on ships

haply

I've read the same thing in reviews. I have not cruised NCL, but I will be on the Getaway on Saturday. That said, I also don't drink. So yeah, pretty neutral. Have definitely read it in posted reviews. Dig through some of the one star ones here on CC.

Edit: more to the point, I feel like I've read the same complaint but also that once the bartenders know you have a package they give you terrible/slow service and that it's hard to get even a soda. There may be some spillover in my memory from similar RCCL reviews. But either way, I assure you I have no reason to invent this. Someone is writing those reviews. Cross-line sabotage maybe?

Haven't had the beverage package yet on NCL, but have on another line. It is amazing how quickly your service comes when you are the one who gives an extra tip in cash occasionally. I am not sure exactly how the bar staff is tipped with the beverage package on different lines, but the individual waiters we've tipped have been most appreciative.

Didn't have a beverage package on my last cruise and never had to wait. If I had to wait, it would really be no big deal, because (1) I wouldn't be that desperate for a drink that I couldn't wait a few minutes and (2) I'm on vacation, so I'm not in a rush to get anywhere.

Didn't have a beverage package on my last cruise and never had to wait. If I had to wait, it would really be no big deal, because (1) I wouldn't be that desperate for a drink that I couldn't wait a few minutes and (2) I'm on vacation, so I'm not in a rush to get anywhere.

I agree

We were on the Getway 1/15 and never had a problem getting a drink from any of the bars. Maybe waited a couple minutes when the bar was packed but I don't considerate that a big deal. Never had a problem on any other cruise line either.

But now that I think of it there was that 17 year stretch I had to wait until I ruined 18 but that was on land so guess it doesn't count! :cool:

We were on the Getway 1/15 and never had a problem getting a drink from any of the bars. Maybe waited a couple minutes when the bar was packed but I don't considerate thata big deal. Never had a problem on any other cruise line either.

But now that I think of it there was that 17 year stretch I had to wait until I ruined 18 but that was on land so guess it doesn't count! :cool:

should have been "turned" 18. Must be the drinks kicking in !

But they are being tipped already. 18%. Isn't that enough? Or should it be 30%, 50%, 100%?

Unless you are suggesting the 18% is just disappearing into NCL's pocket.

Good Grief - Just tip the bartender / waiter the 1 or 2 euro coin for your drink or don't buy on the cruise ship at all. Easy Peasy...And really? 5 minutes is too long? I thought that was normal service...

Agree - the most I waited for a drink was 5 minutes and that was without a beverage package. Its vacation - What is there to be hurry about?

Good Grief - Just tip the bartender / waiter the 1 or 2 euro coin for your drink or don't buy on the cruise ship at all. Easy Peasy...And really? 5 minutes is too long? I thought that was normal service...

Using those numbers, you think a 55% tip is reasonable for taking the top off a bottle of beer.

Are you sure that is enough. Surely it should be at least 100%.

And how much for doing something more complex such as making a cocktail? That must deserve at least 300-400% tip.

Using those numbers, you think a 55% tip is reasonable for taking the top off a bottle of beer.

Are you sure that is enough. Surely it should be at least 100%.

And how much for doing something more complex such as making a cocktail? That must deserve at least 300-400% tip.

Seriously, you can't afford one euro coin which is less than a US dollar to tip - you knew when boarding a cruise ship that doesn't follow EU labor laws, that the staff salary was not the same as your fellow countrymen. But yet you still complain that tipping along with paying for the drink is too much - guess you have to suffer the long wait time while those who tip (or in your not so humble opinion - bribe) gets theirs without any problems. *shrug*

You can argue and disagree as much as you like but that what goes down on cruise ship - don't buy drinks or even better, don't sail on them if don't want to 'suffer' bad service for not tipping. Dem the breaks...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Seriously, you can't afford one euro coin which is less than a US dollar to tip - you knew when boarding a cruise ship that doesn't follow EU labor laws, that the staff salary was not the same as your fellow countrymen. But yet you still complain that tipping along with paying for the drink is too much - guess you have to suffer the long wait time while those who tip (or in your not so humble opinion - bribe) gets theirs without any problems. *shrug*

You can argue and disagree as much as you like but that what goes down on cruise ship - don't buy drinks or even better, don't sail on them if don't want to 'suffer' bad service for not tipping. Dem the breaks...

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Don't waste your breath maywell, our friend would much rather have the lint in his pocket than a drink in his hand. :rolleyes:

Don't waste your breath maywell, our friend would much rather have the lint in his pocket than a drink in his hand. :rolleyes:

When I read about Europeans complaining about cruise staff being disinterest in servicing them in Europe, the 1st thing that pops in my head is - "Have you seen your currency lately? I'll be disappointed too..."

Seems reasonable, but I don't understand why the staff who won't work without being bribed, are not sacked and replaced with people willing to do the job they are paid for.

Would you do their job for what they are being paid?

No one is saying they aren't doing their job without the offer of a gratuity first but that better than normal service can be attained when the practice of being a customer known for tipping is utilized. Money is a strong motivator.

When I read about Europeans complaining about cruise staff being disinterest in servicing them in Europe, the 1st thing that pops in my head is - "Have you seen your currency lately? I'll be disappointed too..."

At $1.60 to £1.00 it is the US dollar that looks a little disappointing.

Hi guys, why has this descended into something nasty, isn't the point of it that we have different cultures in Europe and the US and isn't that what we travel for to visit new cultures?

Why not get back to topic..what are the lines like?

Too long.

In Europe; perfectly fine in the US depending on time of year. :p

At $1.60 to £1.00 it is the US dollar that looks a little disappointing.

Correction - The current markets are 1 euro = $1.13-1.14 US, while the reverse is $1 US = .88 euro. Basically the difference of .25-26, not .80 like you claim since the Euro hasn't trade at $1.60 for more than 5 years (I winded up looking at historical currency date, the highest US dollar was exchange was at $1.48 back in 4/29/2011 via Bloomberg and CNBC).

So no, the Euro is not as strong as you like to think - When the EU fixes the mess with Greece, then maybe it will be stronger than the US dollar. Combine the current currency rate with the culture of not tipping on a cruise ship that not protected by EU labor laws - it not a surprise that cruise ship staff are not in a rush to serve Europeans alcoholic beverages. Like i said, you can keep complaining about the tipping and service as much as you like but its not going to change the fact that both go hand in hand on a cruise ship when on vacation / holiday. It is what it is - so not my problem since I don't cruise in Europe for the foreseeable future, just pointing out maybe you need to rethink about vacationing on a cruise ship in Europe that allows tipping as compensation to staff. Maybe you're better off on a river cruise. *shrug*

I just disembarked Norwegian Jade, where most people had the UBP. I didn't have to wait for a drink for more than 4-5minutes - including preparation time.

I think putting your dollars/euros/pounds away and being nicegoes a long way.

On the first day I decided to take in the Great Outdoors with a glass of bubbly looking over Venice, it was beautiful. As expected it was busy, and one bar tender. He was doing his upmost to help everyone, but guys coming up and barking orders at him without worrying about those who arrived first. This guy next to me starts on about how this is going to be the 'cruise from hell' if this continues (he'd be waiting around 2minutes at this point). I informed him that it was a long day for all staff on embarkation and to just wait until tomorrow when things aren't so crazy. Bartender picked up on this convo and instructs me to sit down at my table. For the rest of the afternoon I had waiter service and free flowing prosecco, with the odd iced treat thrown in.

For the rest of the week I visited various bars/lounges and had awesome service. I have over 10 new Facebook friends from the staff alone and had some really good nights with seemingly bottomless glasses, reserved seats, special cocktails, first name service everywhere and I didn't drop a tip until the last night.

Please, thank you and some cheeky fun - coupled with a knowledge of bartender tricks can go a long way!

Hi guys, why has this descended into something nasty, isn't the point of it that we have different cultures in Europe and the US and isn't that what we travel for to visit new cultures?

Why not get back to topic..what are the lines like?

Thank you: this happens way to often. A person starts a thread and the next thing we know it becomes either totally negative or totally off topic and as you say, nasty.

In Europe; perfectly fine in the US depending on time of year. :p

Correction - The current markets are 1 euro = $1.13-1.14 US, while the reverse is $1 US = .88 euro. Basically the difference of .25-26, not .80 like you claim since the Euro hasn't trade at $1.60 for more than 5 years (I winded up looking at historical currency date, the highest US dollar was exchange was at $1.48 back in 4/29/2011 via Bloomberg and CNBC).

Umm, I know some Americans believe that there is no other currency than the US dollar, but even so I would have thought you could have spotted the difference between a £ symbol and a € symbol (you surely know that not every country in Europe uses the Euro).

It is UK Sterling (£) that is sat at a respectable £1.00 to $1.60.

Edited by insanemagnet

I just disembarked Norwegian Jade, where most people had the UBP. I didn't have to wait for a drink for more than 4-5minutes - including preparation time.

On the first day I decided to take in the Great Outdoors with a glass of bubbly looking over Venice, it was beautiful. As expected it was busy, and one bar tender. He was doing his upmost to help everyone, but guys coming up and barking orders at him without worrying about those who arrived first. This guy next to me starts on about how this is going to be the 'cruise from hell' if this continues (he'd be waiting around 2minutes at this point). I informed him that it was a long day for all staff on embarkation and to just wait until tomorrow when things aren't so crazy. Bartender picked up on this convo and instructs me to sit down at my table. For the rest of the afternoon I had waiter service and free flowing prosecco, with the odd iced treat thrown in.

For the rest of the week I visited various bars/lounges and had awesome service. I have over 10 new Facebook friends from the staff alone and had some really good nights with seemingly bottomless glasses, reserved seats, special cocktails, first name service everywhere and I didn't drop a tip until the last night.

Please, thank you and some cheeky fun - coupled with a knowledge of bartender tricks can go a long way!

This is an awesome post with great information.

Umm, I know some Americans believe that there is no other currency than the US dollar, but even so I would have thought you could have spotted the difference between a £ symbol and a € symbol (you surely know that not every country in Europe uses the Euro).

It is UK Sterling (£) that is sat at a respectable £1.00 to $1.60.

You can blame tipping, currency exchange, and other people like Smurfs as much as you like - still doesn't change the fact your lack of patience and/or being impolite bit you back on vacation. A overcrowded bar that's understaff on a cruise ship that's 5 minute waitis too much for you - How about heading to another one that doesn't have too many people? Or how about learning the fine art of patience and/or small talk with barstaff - it will get you really far especially when you're going to drink alot during the cruise.

So blame away thinking its a money issue, when really its patience issue on your end. Your repeat posts in this thread proves it and another thing about you but that would outright namecalling, so U won't go there.

You have a very intelligent approach.

I think drink service always takes longer on cruise ships, regardless of the UBP promotion. The main reason is that people are more likely to order complicated drinks on cruise ships, as well as frozen drinks. To me it's really not a big deal, but even with that, I rarely wait more than a couple minutes. I also always tip the bartenders a little extra, typically in cash. The last time I was on the Breakaway, as soon as I walked in Maltings I had a drink before even ordering it. Call it a bribe if you want. I generally tip more than 18% and the 18% is on the package price and not the actual price for the drinks.

Was your bartender Santosh? He more than earned extra tips (and hero card) on our Breakaway sailing. Same as you, our drinks were always being started once eye contact was made (as long as he wasn't helping someone else of course).