Long drink lines on ships

haply

Off Epic a few weeks ago, and found the bar service generally poor.

Ordering from waiters was a waste of time, as they were disinterested in their job and couldn't be bothered to push the understaffed bars to make the drinks.

The bars were understaffed and so there were queues to get drinks.

The barstaff also had the rude habit of taking one order, and then instead of fulfilling that order, asking other people who were queuing behind what they wanted, and if it was an easier order serving them first.

From the comments above, it seems that you only get decent service if you bribe the staff.

Why is it that people from Europe are so ridiculous about tipping. Yes, I understand that waitstaff in the UK (I took the liberty of looking at some of your prior posts) are generally better paid and that they build that tip into the higher prices on the menu, but I would think you would understand that that is NOT the case on a cruise ship. Do you honestly believe that the 18% gratuity is going to the waiter or the bartender? Maybe they get a cut, but I would think its not much. Do you realize what an extra dollar can mean to a waiter considering what their income is on a ship? Does it really hurt your wallet so much to spend a few more dollars to reward someone for superior service? A tip is not a bribe my friend. You should be ashamed of yourself.

why is it that people from europe are so ridiculous about tipping. Yes, i understand that waitstaff in the uk (i took the liberty of looking at some of your prior posts) are generally better paid and that they build that tip into the higher prices on the menu, but i would think you would understand that that is not the case on a cruise ship. Do you honestly believe that the 18% gratuity is going to the waiter or the bartender? Maybe they get a cut, but i would think its not much. Do you realize what an extra dollar can mean to a waiter considering what their income is on a ship? Does it really hurt your wallet so much to spend a few more dollars to reward someone for superior service? A tip is not a bribe my friend. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I don't mean to stir up this hornet's nest again, but if the idea is that the "18% gratuity" is merely a bald-faced lie and that none of that ends up as a 'gratuity' (tip) for anyone but the executives, why does anyone still do business with such a shady company?

Not everyone can afford to double/triple tip on everything to make up for weasel wording.

(I don't know, the tip-shaming seems weird in this instance. Seems like it would be better saved for a product on which you're not already allegedly tipping.)

Actually I don't mind bribing a waiter a buck or two if it means I get my drink before you get yours. You stand by your principles, I'll sit with a frosty beverage.

LOL you took the words right out of my mouth! I'll lament the fact that I am a weak individual who resorts to bribes as I sip my strong, wonderfully-made, quickly-served beverage, prepared by a pleasant and hard-working bartender. As a silent tear of shame rolls down my cheek, I'll have to comfort myself with thoughts of the next drink I'll order. [emoji12]

I don't mean to stir up this hornet's nest again, but if the idea is that the "18% gratuity" is merely a bald-faced lie and that none of that ends up as a 'gratuity' (tip) for anyone but the executives, why does anyone still do business with such a shady company?

Some of us do believe that the 18% is shared by the service staff.

Not everyone can afford to double/triple tip on everything to make up for weasel wording.

(I don't know, the tip-shaming seems weird in this instance. Seems like it would be better saved for a product on which you're not already allegedly tipping.)

I don't believe that the gratuity is going to executives per se. In my opinion, what happens is that the gratuity is collected and goes into a large fund that is divided equally amongst all the crew members on board. Now that may seem nice that everyone gets a little bit, but where is the reward for excellence for the individual? I have no trouble paying both the 18% and leaving a little extra for the person who actually waited on me. I know that NCL is paying their crew a bit more on the backs on its customers, but they are no more shady than any other large corporation that is trying to maximize both its profit and its productivity. That's the way capitalism works, which is fine by me. Making a profit is a good thing. If they don't make one, there will be no NCL, and I won't get to cruise with them. If they don't pay their crew well enough the crew will be unhappy and unproductive. And if my waiter is unhappy, I will not get my gin and tonic, or my Bahama Mama, or whatever concoction I happen to be drinking that night. At least I won't get it very quickly. I guess what I'm saying is that the system works if you let it! :)

The only time I had a long wait for a drink was one time at the Java cafe in the atrium on the Pearl. In their defense there were several people behind the bar and they were doing the best they could, there were just ALOT of people wanting a drink lol. Any other time bar service was fairly quick.

My last two cruises on the dawn I noticed a huge difference in the service at the outdoor bar and poolside service. Most times it took at least 20 minutes to get a drink after ordering from a waiter. I just started going to the bar myself which was a pain. Never had a problem with quick service before that.

My last two cruises on the dawn I noticed a huge difference in the service at the outdoor bar and poolside service. Most times it took at least 20 minutes to get a drink after ordering from a waiter. I just started going to the bar myself which was a pain. Never had a problem with quick service before that.

What an excruciating experience that must have been! I couldn't imagine having to get up and go to the bar to order a drink. I would be at Guest Services lodging a lengthy complaint.

Please do not start this false rumor. There are SO MANY bars on EVERY ship it's almost scary. Never waited more than 2 minutes at ANY bar on ANY ship even when the top deck was packed for parties.

I think you may have hit on something. This is either an attempt to start another debate or the OP read one or two comments about long waits and believed the worst. When we were on the Pearl a couple months ago, we didn't even wait more than a few minutes during cocktail hour just before dinner. I did have a few minutes wait one late morning at the bar in the atrium. I was ordering a couple of spicey B. Mary's and it seemed all three bar tenders were hussling their behinds off. Other than that, never did we have a problem. even if someone has to wait a few minutes, it isn't like the bar is going to run out of booze.

That's quite an accusation. Can you prove it?

Nope, I cannot. It is purely my opinion. But if you will note another statement by me, I am not accusing NCL of pocketing the money. I believe that the money is distributed throughout the ships crew, which is fine, but leaves no reward to the individual for superior service. I think looking at it in that way you will see that it is not an accusation, more of a educated guess. Sorry if it came off incorrectly. :o My pique came from someone calling a tip bribery which I believe is insulting to all parties concerned.

On Getaway with UBP about a month ago. Bartenders worked hard but no question that bars were under staffed. Worst was the mojito bar. No excuse for having one bartender working a bar where most people order mojitos and each one takes 3-4 minutes to make. The trick is to find a less crowded bar, even if it involves a little walking. There are so many it's never really a problem.

My DH preferred mojitos made at Sugarcane over other bars on ship. He said they were the best.

Overall, we didn't wait more than ten minutes for a drink at the end of May, even when ordering from the roving bar staff on pool deck. We don't drink much, only 1-2 drinks each per day the whole trip, so if you drink more you would have more experience.

Edited by WoodsDrive

Why is it that people from Europe are so ridiculous about tipping.

Quite simply we expect people to do the job they are paid for, and if they do the job over and above what is expected then they are rewarded with a tip.

There was nothing exceptional about the service from the bar staff or waiters that warranted a tip.

The comments here seem to imply that people are happy to pay additional amounts just to get the staff to do the job they were paid for in the first place.

If someone won't do an acceptable job without an additional payment, that to me is a bribe.

I was on Getaway in May 2015, the lines were the same as previous cruises where UBP was not available. There were no lines per say. Couple of swamped pool bars at sailaway but other then that, never waited more than a few minutes while bat staff attended to guests that had been before me. Also note, service at the Mojito bar (currently Breakaway class and more recent ships) can be a little slower because these lovely drinks require a little (love and) preparation... that being said they are well worth it. Find a comfy chair or sofa and enjoy the company: you'll be served soon enough. BTW I was told NCL plans to expand the MOjito bar fleetwide. We will see if this turns out to be true

I was on Getaway in May 2015, the lines were the same as previous cruises where UBP was not available. There were no lines per say. Couple of swamped pool bars at sailaway but other then that, never waited more than a few minutes while bat staff attended to guests that had been before me. Also note, service at the Mojito bar (currently Breakaway class and more recent ships) can be a little slower because these lovely drinks require a little (love and) preparation... that being said they are well worth it. Find a comfy chair or sofa and enjoy the company: you'll be served soon enough. BTW I was told NCL plans to expand the MOjito bar fleetwide. We will see if this turns out to be true

My advice is grab a lounge, find one of those drink runners and tip the heck out of him.

Here is the deal. I was on Getaway in May 2015. I found that if I tipped 1$ a drink or per order (guess it depended on how many singles I had on me and how long I was going to sit there drinking), the more above and beyond the wait staff would be. When sailing in May, I was given the UBP as a promo and had booked long enough ago that the service/gratuity of 18% was included in the promo. Since I was not "sure" that NCL would add an 18% tip on my behalf AND given I had not paid a penny for the UBP, I chose to tip cash as I went. Always cash...never on the account. I just feel it is more likely to end up in the pockets of the wait staff without being "shared" with anyone else...

I had no problem with this. I had made the decision that had I paid for the UBP and also paid the 18%, I would not have double tipped. Don't know how long I would hold out on that principle especially if I received good service versus exceptional service. When I am vacation, I have already paid a great sum to have the time of my life. I won't back on 100$ for the wait staff to have exceptional service. throughout the duration of my cruise. It just isn't worth it. Think about it! Better to save $$$ not taking an overpriced NCL excursion in my opinion. I will be put to the test for UDP in August when I back to back. I will have paid my 12.95$ gratuity & paid 18% on top of that. Not sure how I feel about triple paying for service with an additional tip (well, I know how I feel: I think it sucks) however I will likely leave an additional 5 or 10$ per meal. I should note that I have found for UDP that additional tipping is not a guarantee of above and beyond service. Like everything in life, some people respond to it and others do not. Nothing worse than having well tipped someone last night in a specialty restaurant for exceptional service and the following night being assigned to a table that is not in that person's section and having to deal with someone who is lackluster. This happened to us many times since we dine mostly at the same specialty restaurant every night (my wife prefers le Bistro and I am more than fine with that exceptional choice).

Edited by KanataKruiser
adding info

I bribe my way to overservice. I watch others around me wear cloaks of invisibility. To each his own.

Seems reasonable, but I don't understand why the staff who won't work without being bribed, are not sacked and replaced with people willing to do the job they are paid for.

I tip the extra buck or two because I was a bartender and waiter many years ago, and it's a very tough job, even harder in a vacation destination. I was lucky if I had to fire up the blender once a week. It is very appreciated by the staff and they will look out for you. I typically have a regular drink. I typically got it as soon as I sat at the bar. I was on the BA twice last winter with a two week break in between. On my first day onboard a waiter at the pool bar, who I didn't meet on the prior cruise, came up to me with my drink on his tray, and addressed me by name and welcomed me back. I think word gets around when you tip extra. I'm sure everyone gets good service. Better service is a nice bonus, but I do it because these people are supporting families from a distance. They deserve it.