Super important gelato question

paulajj

Thank you so much! We have a friend who loves the grapefruit flavour we had on the equinox and he was so disappointed when the eclipse didn't have it the last time. But we didn't think to keep checking to see if they changed them. He will be very happy to hear his chances went up;)

paulajj

especially for things that are part of their rotation and they have (meaning they have the supplies to make it) can't see any harm in chatting up the attendant and mentioning it, who knows as long as your friend keeps buying it, it may stay in heavy rotation during the cruise.

at worst you'll have a nice chat.

Deliciousness...I got three scoops every day. Had coconut, mint chip, chocolate, vanilla pecan, cherry, rum raisin, pistachio, butter pecan, almond, spumoni. They have so many varieties. On our seven day cruise they always had these, and others I can't remember, but can't remember seeing grapefruit. I did not ask when they are changed out or when new flavors are put out. Sorry, just know there was quite a lot of flavors. Just remembered 2 more Lemon and watermelon. Have fun.

Yes they had quite a few the last time. I tried the coconut one as well. Yummy!

The coconut was rather good. There was NO grapefruit on our cruise recently. It was not particularly busy at the gelato station as for most cruisers, there was a fee involved and you could get free ice cream upstairs by the buffet.

Their gelato is not very good, a lot of time it has ice crystals in it Which means it is old :(

I would not pay for it

Oh that's too bad. It was excellent when we had it. I hope we have good luck with it this time around.

Their gelato is not very good, a lot of time it has ice crystals in it Which means it is old :(

I would not pay for it

I also noted ice crystals in the gelato. On our cruise, it was not busy there except for those that had free coupons for it. Not the best gelato. I thought the ice cream was good quality this time around. A lot must depend on who is making it and how fresh it is.

I used my elite coupn for a scoop of mint chip, took one bite, and flushed it down the toilet. Not like any gelato I've ever had.

Wow! It would have to be pretty bad for me to throw away icecream[emoji12]

I don't know if they've changed the recipe or what it is but a couple of years ago it was unbelievably delicious and this last year it was just so-so.

I also liked the ice cream in the dining room better this time.

(Tried it on 2 different ships so it wasn't a ship-specific thing.)

Just got off the Solstice. The gelato was not worth the extra calories so we only ate it one time. On trips to Europe, we eat gelato every day, sometimes twice a day. We were also underwhelmed by the ice cream by the buffet.

We also just returned from the Solstice (hi, Makeitright, a.k.a. Nancy & Allan!) and we tried the Cafe al Bacio gelato once thanks to the free scoop with our Captain's Club coupons. I had the hazelnut and my hubby had the coconut, and we both thought they were delicious. That said, I'll admit that we didn't purchase it again after our free scoop...there weren't any other flavors that interested me enough to pay for it. But I did get the gelato from the buffet a few times. I thought it was pretty good -- some flavors more so than others. (The ginger was especially yummy.) And, yes, they did seem to rotate out different flavors...though I don't recall seeing grapefruit.

~ Shay

Just got off the Solstice. The gelato was not worth the extra calories so we only ate it one time. On trips to Europe, we eat gelato every day, sometimes twice a day. We were also underwhelmed by the ice cream by the buffet.

A lot probably depends on the makers of ice cream. The ice cream on Reflection has ranged from excellent to very mediocre on different trips. Even the flavors fluctuated.

We don't like the gelato either - didn't even use the free coupons on our last cruise because of that.

It never was busy there either - always felt sorry for the lady working there as she seemed to have nothing to do. Time is simply not passing by if you just stand there and wait for a customer...

So as our own experience was that the gelato is not good and the fact that it is never crowded there (to be honest, most of the times is see nobody!) the gelato really can't be tasty or at least much better than the free one.