Extended Cruises (+8 Days)....selling?

MickCruiser

The problem with most extended cruises I have reviewed is that they do not end in the port they started from. That means you are limiting the cruise only to people who fly to the ports. If you drive, you are out of luck. Based on the number of cars currently parked at a cruise port, that has to be a substantial number of customers.

The problem with most extended cruises I have reviewed is that they do not end in the port they started from.

For me that is the beauty of it, it is getting one more port day, I think it is cool to start and finish your cruise at different ports!

As far as if they are selling, the cruise we booked, the prices continue to jump and the cabin choices are real thin, not bad for 6+ months out.....:D

Edited by RaiderFaninNM

Hi Mick, I am booked on the 14 night Glory cruise you are referring to. I am in my early 40s as is my boyfriend. why cant u imagine taking a two week vacation?? :)

Kids + School and then summer activities make it impossible for the summer even tho they are out of school. [emoji19]

- JPO

Hi Mick, I am booked on the 14 night Glory cruise you are referring to. I am in my early 40s as is my boyfriend. why cant u imagine taking a two week vacation?? :)

Younger people tend to have less vacation and or kids that older folks tend to have.

Now that half our cruises are longer (2 weeks) demographics have certainly skewed to mostly retired or soon to be retired people.

The problem with most extended cruises I have reviewed is that they do not end in the port they started from. That means you are limiting the cruise only to people who fly to the ports. If you drive, you are out of luck. Based on the number of cars currently parked at a cruise port, that has to be a substantial number of customers.

Agreed we prefer beginning and ending from same port.

We find it easier to drive and life much simpler when a flight doesnt get in the way.

Since retiring, I am finally going to start living my dream of longer cruises. I have booked an 11 day to start. Before this, I took a 10 day years ago while working. I was under so much stress when I returned to work because of all of the backed up projects. It just was not mentally worth it by the time I got back to work. I vowed then that once I retired, I would enjoy another long cruise without having to worry about work! :)

Anamarie asked why the OP couldn't imagine a 14 day cruise. Not why they COULDN'T take one. She phrased it like she wouldn't want to stay on a boat that long. And By the way, the cruises that don't return to the same port are usually repositioning cruises. My cruise starts and ends in Miami, and I'm pretty sure all of the Journeys ones start and end in the same spot, too. By the way, I'm 38 and my husband and I don't have high pressure jobs that make it disastrous when we return from the cruise (THANKFULLY!) Plus, we've both been in our positions for over ten years so we have good vacation time![emoji5]️

Agreed we prefer beginning and ending from same port.

We find it easier to drive and life much simpler when a flight doesnt get in the way.

Totally agree, whereas the prices for the cruise are great, the one-way airfare back and forth makes the cruise add up. It's probably great for those who live within driving distance to port and only have to consider return airfare. Still prefer closed loop cruise where we can direct flights to port.

At looking at the airfare between different ports, I am finding there is not much difference in price between the ports, surprisingly. I have been looking at this for about a year now and with the Journeys cruises starting in one port and ending in a different port and NOT being a reposition cruise, is a AWESOME idea, can not wait!!

Anamarie asked why the OP couldn't imagine a 14 day cruise. Not why they COULDN'T take one. She phrased it like she wouldn't want to stay on a boat that long. And By the way, the cruises that don't return to the same port are usually repositioning cruises. My cruise starts and ends in Miami, and I'm pretty sure all of the Journeys ones start and end in the same spot, too. By the way, I'm 38 and my husband and I don't have high pressure jobs that make it disastrous when we return from the cruise (THANKFULLY!) Plus, we've both been in our positions for over ten years so we have good vacation time![emoji5]️

The Journeys cruises start and end in different ports. Many of them start OR end in San Juan. However, airfare from San Juan to FL is pretty cheap. We are taking our first 11 day from Port Canaveral to San Juan this November.

The Journeys cruises start and end in different ports. Many of them start OR end in San Juan. However, airfare from San Juan to FL is pretty cheap. We are taking our first 11 day from Port Canaveral to San Juan this November.

Not all Journey cruises are one way. There are several out of Long Beach that are round trip. Hawaii and Mexican Riviera.

Not all Journey cruises are one way. There are several out of Long Beach that are round trip. Hawaii and Mexican Riviera.

Very true..........our 13 day Journey Sunshine cruise is round trip from Port Canaveral. The price of this cruise keeps going up.

I'm taking a Journeys cruise and it starts and ends in Miami. So not all of them do that.

I'm hoping they continue them to the end of 2016!

I'm hoping they continue for many, many more years! Maybe Carnival will have to do fewer, but as long as they don't eliminate them altogether I'll be happy! I can retire in the summer of 2018 and looking forward to a nice retirement present for my wife and I. 14 days non-stop at sea is looking better all the time!

I wouldn't mind going on the Mexican Riviera Journeys cruise, but we have way too many cruises booked already. I don't have that much leave!

Question I have is: are you booked Breeze more than one year out because you are waiting for the exact cabin you wanted?

Edited by eponym

Any idea how these extended cruises are being received....are they selling or not? Someone referenced their 14 day Glory (Oct 31 sail date) with a really itinerary.

Was just wondering how those cruises are being booked....or not.

Really appealing but the duration is the downside here.....really cannot imagine taking two weeks of vacation. Perhaps I should move to Europe. [emoji2]

- JPO

I did a 2 Journey cruises B2B this past February. 21 days of divine! I've booked another 2 Journey cruises B2B for October, and can't wait to go. The Feb cruise qas pretty full. There were amazing deals for solo travelers - no supplement. The Oct cruises are over 80% reduced, with a further reduction for VIFP's. It's too good to pass up.

The first 21 days was done during vacation leave. The next cruises during 'retirement' leave :). Bring on the sun and surf!

Edited by Tobypace

Really appealing but the duration is the downside here.....really cannot imagine taking two weeks of vacation.

That's actually pretty sad...

I don't consider a one-week vacation to be worth bothering. Two-week vacation is a bit more relaxing, although it takes me almost the entire first week to unwind and start feeling like I'm on vacation. Really, my preferred vacation is 3 weeks (I don't necessarily need to be traveling that whole time, but I just need to NOT be at work for 3 weeks).

That's actually pretty sad...

I don't consider a one-week vacation to be worth bothering. Two-week vacation is a bit more relaxing, although it takes me almost the entire first week to unwind and start feeling like I'm on vacation. Really, my preferred vacation is 3 weeks (I don't necessarily need to be traveling that whole time, but I just need to NOT be at work for 3 weeks).

But, many are locked into this. I can't imagine what it's like? After 7 years, my job had 8 paid weeks off per year. I then had the option to swap on/off with coworker for all the time I wanted, which, was at least 3 months off per year. I retired with 33 years in 2013. So, I've been in the travel mode a long time. However, I do realize this is not the norm. There are maybe the majority or close to it, that are once/twice year cruisers. So it may be more important to them to want ideal itineraries to make the most of.