Labadee Beach Bed vs. Cabana

MaiseyM

We will be going to Labadee and from what I understand, you can't book a cabana until you are on the ship (unless you have a GS room, which we do not). I noticed that I can book a "bed" on the beach. It costs a little less (maybe $50-75). It's not as large as a full cabana, but you can still have the service of an attendant for drink refills....

Has anyone rented the bed? I would prefer a cabana, but I'm worried those will all be booked up by the time we board the ship. Any thoughts on one vs. the other? Is the bed a far cry from the cabana?

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruiseplanner/category/1002/product/100000002875937175

I'd go for the cabana because it is out of the crowd and more private.

However, I believe there are bar servers with drinks roaming the beaches, so you don't need a beach bed for drinks service.

I'd wait to book until you are onboard and know if you can get a cabana or not.

We will be going to Labadee and from what I understand, you can't book a cabana until you are on the ship (unless you have a GS room, which we do not). I noticed that I can book a "bed" on the beach. It costs a little less (maybe $50-75). It's not as large as a full cabana, but you can still have the service of an attendant for drink refills....

Has anyone rented the bed? I would prefer a cabana, but I'm worried those will all be booked up by the time we board the ship. Any thoughts on one vs. the other? Is the bed a far cry from the cabana?

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruiseplanner/category/1002/product/100000002875937175

I am in the same place as you.I would like a cabana. I called Royal and ask if I book a beach bed now and when I get on board and if I can get a cabana can I cancel? I was told that if there is a cabana they will just upgrade me and I will just pay the difference in the price. I booked the beach bed today just so I would have something. You can cancel up to 24 hours before the excursion if you change your mind.

I've seen the photos of the "beds"...I'd just as soon have a lounge chair somewhere. The loungers can be moved where you want them...the "beds" and cabanas can't be moved!

There are roaming drink waiters around....hail one, tip them, and they'll return frequently!

• 2 weeks later...

Keep watching your planner, people are reporting that they are able to book cabanas on-line again. I keep checking mine but its still 6 months out and its not showing up. People are saying within 1 to 2 months of sailing they are showing up.

The beach beds are available for our cruise, are they really $175 per person? When you put it in your cart it comes up over a $1000 for six people. In comparison to the cabanas it is really excessive. Guess we will try for cabana on board.

The beach beds are available for our cruise, are they really $175 per person? When you put it in your cart it comes up over a $1000 for six people. In comparison to the cabanas it is really excessive. Guess we will try for cabana on board.

That's what I thought too but someone told me it's an error and that the price is $175 per bed for up to 6 people. :confused:

Just put in one person.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Keep watching your planner, people are reporting that they are able to book cabanas on-line again. I keep checking mine but its still 6 months out and its not showing up. People are saying within 1 to 2 months of sailing they are showing up.

Actually, I sail the end of February, 2016, and the cabanas just recently opened up. I booked one, grudgingly...they are up to $495! And upgraded buffet for cabana renters has been removed.

So price up, amenities down.

I too, am wondering what major differences there are between a beach bed and an OTW cabana (other than $300), especially after reading a TON of postings on the string from Bugsy4271 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116425

Can anyone, that has used both recently, tell the specific differences? Other than the cabana has 6 bottles of water on ice, as opposed to the bed, which only has 4?

Actually, I sail the end of February, 2016, and the cabanas just recently opened up. I booked one, grudgingly...they are up to $495! And upgraded buffet for cabana renters has been removed.

So price up, amenities down.

I too, am wondering what major differences there are between a beach bed and an OTW cabana (other than $300), especially after reading a TON of postings on the string from Bugsy4271 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116425

Can anyone, that has used both recently, tell the specific differences? Other than the cabana has 6 bottles of water on ice, as opposed to the bed, which only has 4?

No comparison. The bed in just a double lounger. It has a padded cushion and a top. It doesn't give you real sun protection. Imo a waste of money as you get lounge chairs for free. The cabin is an open on one side hut. It has a couch and two lounge chairs on the porch section of the hut. You have a butler who will bring you drinks. He will also set up beach chairs near the water if you desire. He will bring you swimming noodles to use in the water. Water will be given to in a cooler. Actually six can fit in the cabana

Edited by Cruise a holic

I was wondering about these also.

We will finally get back to Labedee after 4 years and I was all set to book a cabana and I see the prices went from $250 up to $395 and $495. Hell, I paid $499 to go to Bermuda for a week.

In any event I guess I will save my money and just get a free lounge chairs.

One other question, do you have to bring towels off the ship with you or can yu get them on the beach.

Thanks.

Edited by CruisingChick

I was wondering about these also.

We will finally get back to Labedee after 4 years and I was all set to book a cabana and I see the prices went from $250 up to $395 and $495. Hell, I paid $499 to go to Bermuda for a week.

In any event I guess I will save my money and just get a free lounge chairs.

One other question, do you have to bring towels off the ship with you or can yu get them on the beach.

Thanks.

Bring towels from the ship with you.

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising in Oct of 2016 and our OTW Nellie's have also opened up for booking. I had to laugh when you said *grudgingly*. We had the same feeling when we completed the 'booking' and saw the charge go thru... :eek:-:(-:mad:

We are cruising in Oct of 2016 and our OTW Nellie's have also opened up for booking. I had to laugh when you said *grudgingly*. We had the same feeling when we completed the 'booking' and saw the charge go thru... :eek:-:(-:mad:

One thing that perked me up, though...I read another post talking about the cost of the excursions on Labadee. And since there will be 6 of us in the cabana, imagine if we all just did one zip line or water slide? So in the end, with that many, it isn't so bad. But I don't know that I would splurge if it was only 2 of us!

I was looking at the beach beds. They look really nice and the price seems fair.

What doesn't seem realistic is the "up to six people" description.

It seems like there is a 2 person capacity on these.

Outside of the pictures, it would be great to hear from somebody who's rented one of these?

I was looking at the beach beds. They look really nice and the price seems fair.

What doesn't seem realistic is the "up to six people" description.

It seems like there is a 2 person capacity on these.

Outside of the pictures, it would be great to hear from somebody who's rented one of these?

Someone posted (can't remember if it's here or on another string) that they are nothing more than 2 padded cabana/beach chairs put together.:confused:

One thing that perked me up, though...I read another post talking about the cost of the excursions on Labadee. And since there will be 6 of us in the cabana, imagine if we all just did one zip line or water slide? So in the end, with that many, it isn't so bad. But I don't know that I would splurge if it was only 2 of us!

Yes Martha that was me.

We are doing two excursion x 3 adults

We are doing the zip line in the morning and the jet skis after lunch.

So for us it will be a little under $600 (guestimate) to do this.

It is all in what people enjoy doing on their vacation.

Enjoy your cabana.

Safe travels.

PS Martha we live a tad North-East of you..................

Edited by Lionesss

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a bunch of empty "beach beds" last month. There really isn't anything to them... what I saw looked more like a king size bed on a platform (not padded loungers) with curtains around it and draped across the top.

The curtains flapped around in the wind, and they didn't provide complete coverage from the sun on top or sides. They're right in the middle of the beach alongside the "unwashed masses" on free loungers. I certainly didn't see anything that was worth $200!

They also had the "cabanettes" (blue canopy/tent clamshell things) that fit two loungers in them -- I did see those being used. (You can see some of those on the left in the first picture below.)

Here are a couple pics I found online that seem to be accurate representations of the "beach bed", including the fact that most of them were empty.

labadee.jpg

cabanas-on-adrenaline.jpg

beach-bed-rental.jpg

Labdee+Haiti+Beach+Rental.jpg

I saw a bunch of empty "beach beds" last month. There really isn't anything to them... what I saw looked more like a king size bed on a platform (not padded loungers) with curtains around it and draped across the top.

The curtains flapped around in the wind, and they didn't provide complete coverage from the sun on top or sides. They're right in the middle of the beach alongside the "unwashed masses" on free loungers. I certainly didn't see anything that was worth $200!

They also had the "cabanettes" (blue canopy/tent clamshell things) that fit two loungers in them -- I did see those being used. (You can see some of those on the left in the first picture below.)

Here are a couple pics I found online that seem to be accurate representations of the "beach bed", including the fact that most of them were empty.

labadee.jpg

cabanas-on-adrenaline.jpg

beach-bed-rental.jpg

Labdee+Haiti+Beach+Rental.jpg

Thanks Brillo! I may hold out and figure out what to do when I get there.

Hi all-

I just, on a whim, tried to book an over the water cabana in Labadee and the system let me do it…it shows up on my reservation and everything.

Does anyone know if this will stand or will they recall it? It does say on-board only but let me book. We sail 2/8/16.

Fingers crossed!

Hi all-

I just, on a whim, tried to book an over the water cabana in Labadee and the system let me do it…it shows up on my reservation and everything.

Does anyone know if this will stand or will they recall it? It does say on-board only but let me book. We sail 2/8/16.

Fingers crossed!

We booked our Nellie OTW Cabana last month for our Oct 29th Anthem cruise!! It went thru with no issues even though it also said onboard only. From what I've read on other Cruise Critic messages, once the credit card charge goes thru you're good to go!! :-)