Ship Tour. Worth it?

I'll be a first-time cruiser in a couple months. I was looking at some recent cruise programs (Compass, since I'll be on Enchantment of the Seas), and I noticed there's a ship tour listed at 5:00 on the day of embarkment. The sail away party starts at 4:30.

1. Have any of you done such a tour (on any ship or line)?

2. Do you think it's worth going on the official tour rather than doing a self-tour some other time?

Thanks for your answers!

We did the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Royal Princess llast year and in my opinion worth every penny of it.

Takes you through mostly restricted areas of the ship, galley, bridge, control room, theater, laundry room, printing dept and lots more.etc. Ours lasted about 4 hours and we had a blast.

If you have any interests in how things run and get done on a ship this is well worth it. Again just my opinion. Enjoy your cruise

I'll be a first-time cruiser in a couple months. I was looking at some recent cruise programs (Compass, since I'll be on Enchantment of the Seas), and I noticed there's a ship tour listed at 5:00 on the day of embarkment. The sail away party starts at 4:30.

1. Have any of you done such a tour (on any ship or line)?

2. Do you think it's worth going on the official tour rather than doing a self-tour some other time?

Thanks for your answers!

We've done them on several RCI ships and, although somewhat expensive, found them very worth while. In our experience they've included the galley, food and dry goods storage areas, engineering control center (but not the engine room), theaters and backstages, laundry, recycling and incineration area, some crew areas, and of course the bridge.

There are no free or self tours available to any of the areas provided by the all access tour - those are private and restricted and require a guided tour to see. Your "self" tour would only include the general public areas open to any guest.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The "is it WORTH taking the tour" question is resulting in some confused answers that think you are talking about the for-fee "behind the scenes" tour offered on many ships.

What is held on sailaway day is NOT that type of tour but a simple overview of the public areas of the ship. As there is no charge you can simply meet it at the beginning and if you don't find it interesting just walk away and head back to the sailaway party. Sometimes these tours are actually guided by brand-new members of the cruise director's staff who just like you are orienting themselves to the ship for the first time.

Edited by fishywood

The "is it WORTH taking the tour" question is resulting in some confused answers that think you are talking about the for-fee "behind the scenes" tour offered on many ships.

What is held on sailaway day is NOT that type of tour but a simple overview of the public areas of the ship. As there is no charge you can simply meet it at the beginning and if you don't find it interesting just walk away and head back to the sailaway party. Sometimes these tours are actually guided by brand-new members of the cruise director's staff who just like you are orienting themselves to the ship for the first time.

And yes, I think they are worth the time. There are many public areas onboard; unless you spend a lot of time exploring on your own, there are many spaces you would never find. Do the tour, it will give you a good first orientation and will give you some tricks on how to successfully navigate on your own.

Are you talking about a behind the scenes type tour ($$) where you see the restricted areas or a 'getting to know the ship' (free) type of tour?We've enjoyed the former and never done the latter.

I can't see a tour going to the restricted areas the first night. Luggage and supplies are still being dispersed throughout the ship.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks, everybody!

I think what I saw listed on the Compass was the free tour since it didn't have a dollar sign or asterisk by it indicating there would be a charge. Maybe I'll check it out and then slip away if it turns out to be uninteresting.

Of course, now the comments about seeing the behind-the-scenes areas have got me curious as to whether there is a paid tour that might be available during the cruise, so I'll be looking into that. That sounds interesting!

Once again, thanks to all who took time to respond!

Thanks, everybody!

I think what I saw listed on the Compass was the free tour since it didn't have a dollar sign or asterisk by it indicating there would be a charge. Maybe I'll check it out and then slip away if it turns out to be uninteresting.

Of course, now the comments about seeing the behind-the-scenes areas have got me curious as to whether there is a paid tour that might be available during the cruise, so I'll be looking into that. That sounds interesting!

Once again, thanks to all who took time to respond!

On Adventure we actually had three options. a. First day walk-through orientation. Free. b. Scheduled behind-the-scenes grand tour, 4 hrs if I recall correctly. $250? c. Keep-your-eye-open-they-may-do-it-sometimes free tour of the ships galley, led by one of the senior kitchen staff, includes explanation of how menus are planned, how food is prepared and served.

As I mentioned before, I have found the orientation tours very helpful. If/when I am on Adventure again I will do it again. I tend to be able to keep track of directions, I don't get lost easily, I can find my way back to places I've been before. But the ships are confusing! Maybe by the time I spend a few more weeks on a few different ships it will be different.

The behind-the-scenes is tempting but I am put off by the cost.

Oh, and the (free) galley tour is great fun if you have that opportunity.

DH did a ship tour on our first cruise, he enjoyed it.

There is a fee, but I don't remember what it was.

On RCI the fee for the All Access Tour (behind the scenes as described in my first post) can vary depending on if there is a special offered on board or if it is combined with any other venue, such as specialty restaurants, etc. But it typically is around $175 pp and takes about 3-1/2 to 4 hours and usually is late in the cruise. I have never heard of it on day 1 - that must be some sort of general orientation tour.

I prefer to orient myself on the ship, but the free orientation tour could be helpful for those not used to large ships.

I have not taken the more extensive paid tour, but have heard that they are worth the price and include gifts. I also know that those paid behind the scene tours fill up fast and those interested should sign up as soon as possible because they will be closed soon.

Edited by jamessemaj

As mentioned a few times, there are different tours.

I suspect this is a "get to know the ship" tour.

We board as early as possible.

Go to the top [sometimes the bottom] public deck and work our way down, going aft to fore and back again, next level the same, through the public areas, get a pretty good grip whats where. Especially if you get a drink each bar:D

• 4 weeks later...

I would be very interested to do a behind the scenes ships tour but the one advertised on my (first) cruise in Sept is about the US$180 mark so that is a crazy price as far as I am concerned.... although I did pay that for a concert ticket so I have to question myself there !! LOL :)

Maybe one day when I am sailing one one of the bigger more modern ships I will factor this sort of tour into my budget but I think for my first cruise on a small and older ship I will not be considering this tour. :rolleyes:

I have taken the free and the ultimate tours on Princess.

The free tour is very limited. You get to go backstage and to the dressing rooms in the theater. You then get a quick walk thru in the kitchen.

The ultimate tour in addition goes to the crew floor where you get to see the laundry, print shop, control room, medical center, food storage, etc. You then go to the bridge where you get to meet the captain and are served champagne and cookies. The cost was $150 and included gifts that were worth over $100 if purchased. A plush robe, a cooks jacket, personalized notepad, and many photos.