Hey cruise pros, any advice on getting a low cost cabin upgrade?

MurphyBAE

My new bride and I sail on the Summit to Bermuda July 19th for our honeymoon. We are very budget constrained and could not afford anything but an inside cabin when we booked through our travel agent. Now as we get closer,I read about people getting calls from Celebrity to upgrade to ocean view or balcony for a small fee per person and I wonder what the magic is? I would gladly pay a reasonable additional fee today to bump up to a view but when I tried to have my TA call and inquire about an upgrade, I was quoted the delta cost would be more than the original booking.

I had the thought that as you walk up the ramp to the ship in Bayonne on cruise day, that maybe they would be glad to get a few extra buck and do a literal last minute upgrade but I don't know if that is even possible.

Any advice for the honeymooners?

My new bride and I sail on the Summit to Bermuda July 19th for our honeymoon. We are very budget constrained and could not afford anything but an inside cabin when we booked through our travel agent. Now as we get closer,I read about people getting calls from Celebrity to upgrade to ocean view or balcony for a small fee per person and I wonder what the magic is? I would gladly pay a reasonable additional fee today to bump up to a view but when I tried to have my TA call and inquire about an upgrade, I was quoted the delta cost would be more than the original booking.

I had the thought that as you walk up the ramp to the ship in Bayonne on cruise day, that maybe they would be glad to get a few extra buck and do a literal last minute upgrade but I don't know if that is even possible.

Chances are your cruise is going to be fully booked. I have received great upgrades by being proactive but they are usually not after final payment. I would check however on Tuesday when they have their fire sails. I believe you can sign up for them on the web site.

As you are past final payment date, it becomes more difficult.

The chances of getting an upsell at the port on sailing day are slim to none. And Slim left town.

Also, as you have a TA, you can not deal directly with Celebrity.

Good Luck, and enjoy your cruise. We love Summit and Bermuda!

Hi MurphyBAE,

Unfortunately, as you are so close to sailing date, your options are limited. Celebrity typically sails at or near full capacity, so the odds aren't the greatest.

One thought - have you specifically asked your TA to inquire with Celebrity ? As I always say, "it never hurts to ask" :). As Kamloops mentioned, maybe if your TA mentions it's your Honeymoon, it might open some doors. Why not give it a try ?

Please let us know the outcome, and enjoy your cruise !

No magic. If you ant the upgrade, pay for it. POOF. The upgrade appears.

Not particularly helpful was he said he could not afford the book price for an ov or balcony which is all that has been an option

no magic. If you ant the upgrade, pay for it. Poof. The upgrade appears.

Not particularly helpful was he said he could not afford the book price for an ov or balcony which is all that has been an option

Considering that we don't know how much he paid for an inside cabin, it may have been EXTREMELY helpful to let him know that Ocean view cabins can be had for $749.

He also said he would "gladly" be willing to pay a reasonable additional fee for an upgrade.

Edited by DinaS

How about it not being particularly realistic wanting a upgrade for a reduced price (which EVERYONE wants)? My answer was honest.

How about it not being particularly realistic wanting a upgrade for a reduced price (which EVERYONE wants)? My answer was honest.
It happens. We upgraded from a Sky to a Royal for $1200 once. They called us. It was WAY under the listed price. It happens.

Aw come on ya'll! It's his flipping first cruise and honeymoon! Quite being all high n might with the 'I smarter than you' type answers. Ya keep scarin off the first timers and it is going to cost all of us more to book.

Just a hunch that $1200 isnt in the OP's price range. Its not even in my price range for that matter for an upgrade. My upcoming 7 night cruise in a balcony cabin is way less than your $1200 upgrade charge.

If you're in an inside and the price of an oceanview goes down below what you paid for the inside = possible upgrade.

If you're an in inside and the price of your category went down from what you paid, but not as low as what the oceanview's are going for = possible extra shipboard credit.

It's all about being proactive and monitoring those prices. And, a smooth talking travel agent who can swindle the cruise line. :p

Just a hunch that $1200 isnt in the OP's price range. Its not even in my price range for that matter for an upgrade. My upcoming 7 night cruise in a balcony cabin is way less than your $1200 upgrade charge.

Funny, we usually do a Eclipse inside cabin 14 day trip in the Caribbean. It costs us about $1400pp. I think that's pretty cheap.

We just completed a Baltic Cruise were we upgraded from AQ to a Sky Suite 2 weeks before sailing at no cost I noticed that the price of the Sky suites were thrilling for the same amount as what I paid for my AQ two weeks prior O had my TA call celebrity and they upgraded me for free I had no perks from Celebrity so they could not say that I had to give them up in order to upgrade My perks were from

My TA and they actually increased my Onboard credit for a suite booking