Is Speciality Dining Worth It?

shainky84

I think that is a matter of personal preference. In some instances, the up-charge is in-line with the cost of dining onshore vs on the ship. Especially if you consider that you have already paid a portion of food costs - of course that is primarily directed to the MDR and the buffet; however when you cost per person the up-charge it can make you take a "double take".

On a positive note, you are able to try different cuisine than you may have available at home. Plus you are able to order different items, in multiples, without incurring the cost per item charge you would experience onshore.

We do enjoy a few specialty restaurants, e.g., Tuscan Grill, Silk Harvest (where available), etc. They can be a "rescue" item when the MDR menu for the night just does not appeal to you. So, we do tend to book specialty dining a couple of times per cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise.

For us, we have enjoyed Bistro on Five on both the Solstice and Equinox and would not hesitate recommending it. Murano on the Solstice was nice; Tuscan Grill was fine on the Equinox but not impressive on the Solstice. We felt Silk Harvest was underwhelming and severely overpriced, probably because we can get better for less in this part of the world. We are due to go on the Connie in 2017 and will definitely be trying Bistro on Five again. Not so sure about TG.

Most of the comments have obviously been food focused but location is important too. Tuscan Grill has enormous windows overlooking the wake of the ship. Book a table for two there and you will love it. It is now a tradition in our family to dine in Tuscan first night. We book for just after sail away if we can and watch the lights of the port disappear.

Our experience in Tuscan on the Reflection was not good. We had a table for 2 by the window on the port side. There was a significant vibration. The wake was not lit at night, so there was no view. The table was near the kitchen and the staff was so noisy we couldn't carry on a conversation. Couple that with Sizzler like food, poor service, and zero atmosphere. We would not return to Tuscan on the Reflection. Murano was a much better experience, but a little pricey at the current rates.

We have found the specialty restaurants to be so exceptional and memorable that our next cruise on the Equinox is going to include the Ultimate Dining Package!! Otherwise, we dine in Blu, which is almost like having your own specialty restaurant!

Not all are going to agree about the extra cost, but imho it takes a great cruise to the next level!

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

Most of the comments have obviously been food focused but location is important too. Tuscan Grill has enormous windows overlooking the wake of the ship. Book a table for two there and you will love it. It is now a tradition in our family to dine in Tuscan first night. We book for just after sail away if we can and watch the lights of the port disappear.

This view is only available on the S class ships. There are views on Constellation, but from a very different location on the ship.

We have never been disappointed at any of the specialty restaurants on any Celebrity ship. Our favorite is The Lawn Club Grille on Reflection.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I'm sure this question has already been asked, but I could not find a post.

My fiance and I are taking a 10-night Italy and Greece honeymoon cruise next June on the Reflection. We are thinking about our dining options. I'm worried that the main dining options might get repetitive after a few days? Is there enough variety that we'd be satisfied with only these?

Are the extra up-charges for specialty dining worth the money? We have a $300 on board credit (and a classic beverage package) as part of our booking promo, so is it worth booking the 4- or 5-night specialty dining package in advance? I'm not sure about Qsine, but Murano, Tuscan Grill, and Lawn Club Grille look very interesting.

This is our honeymoon, so we would like at least a few nights of romantic dinners.

Thanks.

IMHO yes, specialty dining is exactly what they call it and it is a very pleasant experience...and you must try Qsine at least once. It is a fun experience.

BTW Congratulations!

Victoria

Sorry you had a bad experience in Tuscan. Please do not let it put you off trying again. Honestly we have had such lovely experiences in Tuscan, especially first night and on three different S class cruises.

May your next Celebrity speciality meal be wonderful!

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of feedback. I'm overwhelmed by both the depth of your comments and the vastness of experience you've all had. Thanks again!

Before I posed my question, I was pretty set on buying the 4- or 5-night dining package in advance. While food quality or dining experience may be good or bad on any night we dine, I'm thinking that always dining in the main restaurant or the buffet will get boring. But, based on the comments you've shared, I'm starting to rethink the idea of advance purchase. We may end of doing so anyway, but I was not aware that the discounts they offer on board (presumably to fill the restaurant) may end of being greater than the discount for the pre-cruise. But am I taking a gamble? What are the odds that I will end up having to pay full price or get closed out completely?

Since the many dining options are a little confusing for a first-timer, I'd like to confirm how all the dining works and be sure I'm clear on what's included and what is not. Again, we are traveling 10-nights on the Reflection, and we are booked in Concierge Class:

Complimentary Dining:

Opus/Main Dining Room (breakfast, lunch, dinner)

Oceanview Cafe/buffet (breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night)

AquaSpa Café (light meals/snacks for breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night)

Pool/Mast Grill (poolside lunch, early dinner)

Cover Charge:

The Porch - $7 for each visit (breakfast, lunch)

Bistro on Five - $10 for each visit (breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night)

Cafe al Bacio - al a carte pricing for coffees, snacks, gelato, full bar (6am to late night)

Murano - $50 for dinner

Qsine - $45 for dinner

Tuscan Grille - $45 for lunch or dinner

Lawn Club Grill - $45 for lunch (sea days) or dinner

Not Available:

Blu

Luminae

If I were to buy the 4-night pre-cruise specialty dining costs $137 (a savings of $40 or 24%) and includes one dinner in each of the specialty restaurants. The 5-night package includes one dinner in each, plus a second at Tuscan Grille for $159 (a savings of $61 or 31%). But this only includes dinners. What about breakfast or lunch at Bistro or The Porch, or lunch at Tuscan Grille?

What is the Ultimate Specialty Dining Package I've read about? How is that different? What does it include or not? Is it worth it? I've only seen this on CruiseCitic, nothing on Celebrity's website.

Thanks,

Barry

Am I correct in my research that there isn't a steakhouse type restaurant aboard the Millennium? We really enjoyed the ridiculous amounts of lobsters, prawns and filet we got on the Star. If so then it doesn't look like it'll be worthwhile on the Millennium.

Have I got this right:

Complimentary Dining:

Main Dining Room (breakfast, lunch, dinner)

Oceanview Cafe/buffet (breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night)

AquaSpa Café (light meals/snacks for breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night)

Cover Charge:

Bistro on Five - $10 for each visit (breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night)

Cafe al Bacio - al a carte pricing for coffees, snacks, gelato, full bar (6am to late night)

Qsine - $45 for dinner

Olympic - Cost?

Not Available:

Blu

Luminae

Murano - $50 for dinner

Pool/Mast Grill (poolside lunch, early dinner) (is there anything similar on Millennium?)

The Porch - $7 for each visit (breakfast, lunch)

Tuscan Grille - $45 for lunch or dinner

Lawn Club Grill - $45 for lunch (sea days) or dinner

MDR on Celebrity has excellent food. It keeps getter better and better. I love the variety and also enjoy the everyday choices. My favorite is cheesecake. When I first started sailing on Celebrity I did dine at the specialty restaurants. Good food with a change from the MDR. The extra fee was small....$25 or less. However, prices keep going up, menus have not changed in years, and food is on the same level as the MDR. On many cruises, I skip the specialty restaurants. I go if my group of friends want to go. Tuscan Grill has a good filet. Qsine is a fun time..go once just for good entertainment. Murano( other names on M class) is supposedly french. Murano is my least favorite of the specialty restaurants. I love french food. I often go to France. Murano is not french. Don't think that you will be missing a fabulous time if you don't eat at a specialty restaurant. MDR is really my favorite of all the restaurants on the ship. Don't let the high pressure sales waiters try to get you to book a table. With the high surcharge, there are lots of empty tables. If you still want to go, bargain with the sales waiters. Often, if tables are empty, you can get a good discount. I got 50% off on one cruise. Do not pay the full surcharge.

We should be thankful that Celebrity prices their specialties the way they do. I just read here on CC that NCL will soon be rolling out fleetwide ala carte pricing in several of their popular specialty restaurants. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6443 You will pay separately for every item you order, just like any restaurant at home. No more ordering anything you want, as much as you want, without having to calculate how much it is all adding up to.

Just another step towards mediocrity that NCL has been steadily moving towards in recent years.

Don't let the high pressure sales waiters try to get you to book a table. With the high surcharge, there are lots of empty tables.

Hmmm, I have never notice any "high pressure sales waiters" on any of my cruises. And, being a fan of the specialty restaurants, I have encountered evenings when they are indeed full, with no available reservations, especially during peak dining times. My experience is that on the later days of a cruise they will fill up much faster than on the first few days. If a person wants to dine when they open or just before they close, they have a better chance of finding "lots of empty tables." But during peak times, not so much. Just like any restaurant on land.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I generally think most lines specialty restaurants are not needed.

We went to a sushi restaurant on board because I had a craving then wished we hadn't have bothered.

When you get great food in port there really is no need. Who wants to eat in Tuscan Grille when you have just left Naples right? Get your good eats on land.

If pricing was really cheap and I was bored then maybe but when sailing with Carnival we were fine with the dining room or casual eats sitting on the aft.

I am a foodie but I do feel surcharge restaurants are a way to get more moolah from you.

You sure have done your research, Barry. The Ultimate Dining package is $29pp/night but you have to buy it for the whole cruise. You can dine in any of the specialty restaurants and I believe, even when some of them offer lunch. By that, I mean that Murano and Tuscan sometimes offer lunch and I think the price is $25pp and not $45. The package also includes Bistro and the Porch for lunch. We have never done this because I would be afraid I would have to be taken off the ship on a stretcher!

Edited by TeaBag

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and please keep any suggestions or comments coming!

I tend to obsess about the things that I am excited about, so I figure that I might as well do my homework ahead of time so that there are as few negative surprises as possible!

Barry

I will base my opinion based on Cunard as we are not cruising on Celebrity until November. Our experience of the MDR on Cunard was average food, understaffing, mistakes, and very noisy. At times you felt they could not wait to get you back out. So we moved to Todd English and in our view better food. But that's not what made it for us. You are given time to actually enjoy your meal in a far nicer atmosphere with attentive staff. For us it made a huge difference and we will be dining in every speciality restaurant in November unless the MDR is fantastic, but I'm not holding my breath.

I see you are getting a variety of opinions....we have done quite a few Celebrity cruises - sometimes we eat in a specialty, sometimes not. On our last trip we had a pretty high OBC so we ate in Tuscan Grill - our best meal on the ship - and also Qsine - 2nd best meal. If you go to Qsine, I suggest you try to make some new friends to go with - its fun to try many things and very easy to over-order. We loved the Tuscan Grill - besides our order, we asked for some samples of several items and it was delicious.

We tried Murano one time, good food but too slow and a bit pretentious IMO

I would never do a upgrade for specialty rest. every night - they would have to roll me off the ship!

We do really like the MDR and some cruises we eat there every night - it is a bit raucous tho.

If you are watching your "pennies" you might want to use them for some lovely lunches off the ship - the local food (and wine) will probably be quite reasonable and better than ship food. Enjoy!

Thanks. Hard to compare different lines, but certainly some "Food" for thought. We are big foodies, so we will certainly consider your experiences in the past....Let me know what you find in November; we aren't sailing until June 2016.

Thanks. Hard to compare different lines, but certainly some "Food" for thought. We are big foodies, so we will certainly consider your experiences in the past....Let me know what you find in November; we aren't sailing until June 2016.

I will certainly be posting a review on our return. To be honest I feel the MDR on most lines are pretty similar, on top of Cunard we have cruised RC, Princess, and Thomson. We enjoy meeting other people so tend to pick larger tables in the MDR but we do feel standards have dropped across the board. For us the speciality restaurants often take you back to the standards of food and service from cruising 20 years ago and we're more than happy to pay the supplement given cruise prices are down in real terms from when we first cruised.

What a difficult question. We really enjoy Murano and Qsine but there is no way we would pay $50 per person for an alternative restaurant...and we never do. In the case of Murano we can often get 50% off if we dine there the first night (this discount is often extended to Aqua Class folks). Otherwise we quietly try to negotiate with each restaurant and will usually be able to get at least 30% off (sometimes as much as 50% off) by just being polite and asking. Sometimes the negotiations might go something like this: "Yes, we can give you 40% off if you dine tomorrow after 8pm" or something similar. Since DW and I love to dine late this usually works well. On the other hand, last year while on a 14 day Caribbean cruise we tried, without any success, to get a discount in Murano. The Maitre'd explained that bookings were so good that he just was not giving out any discounts. C'est La Vie!

Hank

A very fair point, York. Thanks.

It will a balance for us. It might be nice to dine with other couples (I assume Celebrity would put honeymoon and/or young couples together.), but I don' t know that I'd like us to the token couple at a families-heavy table or a group of retirees. And I think we also want a few nights of a more quiet, romantic meal.

Hank,

Thanks. Sounds like it will be hit or miss and we will just to need to take our chances if we decide to go that route. I'm going back and forth on this - Do I want to save money and roll with the punches, or do I want to pay for the package upfront and have the piece of mind going into the trip? I'm wondering if onboard discounts will equal or exceed the 25-30% discount from booking ahead of time.

What a difficult question. We really enjoy Murano and Qsine but there is no way we would pay $50 per person for an alternative restaurant...and we never do. In the case of Murano we can often get 50% off if we dine there the first night (this discount is often extended to Aqua Class folks). Otherwise we quietly try to negotiate with each restaurant and will usually be able to get at least 30% off (sometimes as much as 50% off) by just being polite and asking. Sometimes the negotiations might go something like this: "Yes, we can give you 40% off if you dine tomorrow after 8pm" or something similar. Since DW and I love to dine late this usually works well. On the other hand, last year while on a 14 day Caribbean cruise we tried, without any success, to get a discount in Murano. The Maitre'd explained that bookings were so good that he just was not giving out any discounts. C'est La Vie!

Hank

Back in 2009 when my wife and I took our first cruise with great trepidation (first one in the US, next one in Europe) I read many of your CC responses on various boards and learned a lot...a belated thank you! Now that we have some 15 cruises behind us (6 on Celebrity) I agree 100% about negotiating for better upcharges on X. We love Blu but have found that Lawn Club and Murano have great food...but not "at MSRP".