Carnival's Response to RCI PC changes?

Dear F27TW here's your answer[emoji4]

Dismal safety record

The chairman of the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, Senator Jay Rockefeller, has written to the CEO of Carnival expressing his concerns about their “dismal safety record”.

“90 serious events … have occurred on your cruise ships, jeopardizing the safety and lives of those onboard, and prompting Coast Guard marine casualty investigations. These incidents include groundings, collisions, allisions [the striking of one ship by another], engine room and generator fires, propulsion and electrical system failures that have left ships adrift at sea, and other critical onboard system failures.”

The Senator refers to an “alarming number of onboard fires, major system malfunctions and human errors … have occurred on Carnival’s ships since 2008.” Despite that, he says there is “no evidence that the company has undertaken any meaningful course of corrective action to improve its safety record.”

And of course the Costa Concordia disaster.

Did you read the rebuttal back to Rockafeller?

It's also worth noting that the alleged 90 incidents were directed at Carnival Corp. the parent company and covers all the subsidiary cruise lines, not just Carnival Cruise Lines. (e.g. HAL, Princess, Costa, Seabourn, P&O, Cunard.)

Don't get me wrong I think they along with all other lines can do much better, especially with regard to passenger safety and reporting of crime. I think it's somewhat disingenuous to make it sound as though any ship under carnival corp is some sort of floating death trap. If you don't want to sail with them that's fine, but plenty of other lines have had serious incidents as well. (I was on AOS last year when it had propulsion issues.)

Edited by ewenix

For me, Free would have to be the fare. We have friends who sail Carnival all the time, and we talk cruises, but never sail together unless they ungrade to Royal or Celebrity.

We have sailed Carnival 2 times and first time was pretty good. Second time, we met young couple of first night in elevator around 9 pm where she was throwing up in elevator as we thought we might get on. Needless to say, we used the stairs and the cruise had a number of similar issue.

:rolleyes: ... so one vomiting person has made you decide you would never sail Carnival again?

Even assuming she was puking up from drinking too much ... do you honestly think this never could happen on RC?

You've gotta be KIDDING with this one.

:rolleyes: ... so one vomiting person has made you decide you would never sail Carnival again?

Even assuming she was puking up from drinking too much ... do you honestly think this never could happen on RC?

You've gotta be KIDDING with this one.

Ha! There's a big difference between sailing Carnival in March, and sailing in September/October. We had a relaxed fun crowed on our first cruise, average age must have been 40, nobody noticeably smashed.

Carnival has better MDR food, RCL better entertainment, so they're basically a wash for me. The price and itinerary are the more important questions.

With the continuing trend at RC to cost-cut and lessen quality overall , RC is becoming a more Carnival like experience anyway ... so why not try one of the Carnival ships that are nicer and newer than the old Majesty ?

RC isn't the RC of the past that so many of you all are holding on to, lets face it. RC is just a mass market cruise line .. just like Carnival is. (GASP! :eek:)

Ive only been sailing RC for about 6 yrs now and each time, I've noticed a decline in one area or another.

Heck yea I'd give Carnival a shot (tho one one of their newer ships like Valor or Victory .. not the old Fantasy class barges ... they just look nasty ).

And before the RC cheerleaders respond, I'll say it for you "Well then enjoy your cruise on Carnival, perhaps you are better suited there..." :rolleyes:

Victory is already going on 15+ years. Valor is a little newer, but last time I checked, the interiors were gaudy as hell. I'm not saying RCI hasn't declined, but I'll stick with them over Carnival any day of the week.

Fire on the Freedom! Abandon all hope! How could this happen on R.C.?

At least they're not stuck in the middle of the ocean, and wont be floating there for days.

As this is a RCI thread it's not hardly any surprise that if there was a poll asking "would you sail Carnival instead of RCI Oasis or Majesty of the Seas" the majority would say no, which appears to be the case when reviewing the responses.

Now if you asked this on the Carnival board, I'd make a sure bet the majority would vote Carnival over RCI.

We have to bear in mind that each board has its vocal cheerleaders, so it's pretty pointless trying to have a reasoned debate, especially as so many are so adamant that they'd never set foot on the opposing cruise line.

My question is, how many stating emphatically 'no' have actual sailed on Carnival (other than those who have stated they have)?

IMHO some of the previous comments arise from snobbery as they belittle those who sail Carnival.

IMHO some of the previous comments arise from snobbery as they belittle those who sail Carnival.

Spot on ^ IMHO.

I sailed Carnival. 7 years ago on their oldest, crappiest ship in the fleet! One of which even the most loyal Carnival cheerleaders hated! it was a WONDERFUL cruise! Service and food was absolutely spectacular. Only about 1400 guests onboard. it was great :) Maybe even better than all my RC cruises because it was my first :)

I would sail Carnival again in a heartbeat. In fact, I will be looking at Breeze next after my Allure cruise.

As this is a RCI thread it's not hardly any surprise that if there was a poll asking "would you sail Carnival instead of RCI Oasis or Majesty of the Seas" the majority would say no, which appears to be the case when reviewing the responses.

Now if you asked this on the Carnival board, I'd make a sure bet the majority would vote Carnival over RCI.

We have to bear in mind that each board has its vocal cheerleaders, so it's pretty pointless trying to have a reasoned debate, especially as so many are so adamant that they'd never set foot on the opposing cruise line.

My question is, how many stating emphatically 'no' have actual sailed on Carnival (other than those who have stated they have)?

Totally agree with your assessment. I suspect those who are vocal against Carnival are those who have never stepped foot onboard a Carnival ship (or just on a 3-4 day booze cruise also found on RCCL) but just listen to the noise from others. These people are lemmings without an original thought in their heads.

I had to laugh about the "snobbery" comment! These people don't seem to know they are on just another ship designed for the masses. I, for one, enjoy Cunard, Celebrity and Carnival. I haven't been onboard a RCCL cruise (yet) but suspect I will like it as much as the others.

So, since the original thread discussing whether RCI was "abandoning" PC by bringing MJ here was closed for some reason I'll start a new one.

With MJ coming here to replace Enchantment/Rhapsody I was not overly thrilled. And with Oasis at PC really not thrilled, no interest in her. So I wandered back over to the Carnival website to see what my options were, having sailed both pretty consistently though pretty much RCI recently.

Surprise, Surprise! Carnival is sending Sensation to Miami and having Victory and then Valor take over the 3/4 and 5/6 day runs.

Meaning Carnival has relatively newer, more featured (Yes, I Know MJ is going in for refurb). ships with more itinerary options.

Request in advance. Please no CCL vs RCI comments. I am aware of the differences and all things being equal prefer RCI. But all things are not equal and CCL will give PC cruisers more options, which is the point of this discussion.

Thoughts? Will the greater options compared to just having Majesty and Oasis tempt you? It's tempting me.:D

Don't be so quick to judge differences, if you throw out the 'floating shopping mall ships' which we're not fans of, Carnival 'sizes' up to RCL very fairly!

And because of price, and itinerary Carnival wins our money a fair share of the time!

We're RCL D+, Carnival Platinum, so yea, the options, the itinerary, and the price always matter to us!

Edited by American Bear

Right on! We've been on 5 RCL cruises, 5 CCL cruises, 1 Princess, 1 NCL. With the exception of the Oasis class, the RCL ships do "wow" you, but they all look the same. As to the Carnival, "Walmart of the Seas "naysayers, I'll tell you this. On the IOS 7/5/15 to 7/12/15, we encountered so many unruly, uncooperative, un friendly, discourteous, pushy, rude, chair hogging (shows and pool) passengers that we almost wanted the cruise to end. Add to that the extraordinary drink prices and the "worst" specialty restaurant food; I would suggest the RCL snobs get off you're high horse

I have sailed carnival 3 times. And I am definitely not a fan of them.

However,

as far as ships are concerned.

if you subtract every royal Caribbean ship that has the royal promenade. "voyager class" freedom class" and oasis.

all ships are pretty much exactly the same. ( in my opinion)

the final straw for me with carnival was, the lack of care, attn., and general "we don't care about our passengers" that was exhibited during the floating toilet at sea incident on the triumph.

although I don't like many things RCCL does, I definitely liked they way they got out in front of the fire on the ship on the east coast ( the grandeur) I think

I have sailed carnival 3 times. And I am definitely not a fan of them.

However,

as far as ships are concerned.

if you subtract every royal Caribbean ship that has the royal promenade. "voyager class" freedom class" and oasis.

all ships are pretty much exactly the same. ( in my opinion)

the final straw for me with carnival was, the lack of care, attn., and general "we don't care about our passengers" that was exhibited during the floating toilet at sea incident on the triumph.

although I don't like many things RCCL does, I definitely liked they way they got out in front of the fire on the ship on the east coast ( the grandeur) I think

I agree with the statements highlights in red. Royal is very good with addressing their incidents. Another example was this morning when there was a mechanical fire on the Freedom. I only found out it about because Royal Caribbean Corporate put it on twitter. I was happy with how they did it...They said it how it is and were honest with the passengers...No sugar coating.

Now regarding the ship comparisons...I won't get into that one, because I can't stand Carnival's older ships... (But I've heard their newer ones are a bit better.)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

RCI D+ member here and we just cruised Carnival for the first time on a b2b (16 days) and were very pleased with the ship, entertainment and service, and they are very good with disabled passengers. We also enjoyed on sea days the breakfast brunch in the DR, which was a sit down not serve yourself brunch and the choices were excellent. We chose these cruises because we elect not to fly and the first leg left NY and ended in San Juan and then we returned to NY on the 2nd leg. The cruise director was excellent and involved in everything and we also liked the dive-in movies at night up on deck. There was always something going on and something to do. Just sayin

Thanks for all the responses. An interesting read and discussion which was the point of it all.

As I said initially, I have sailed both. Somethings RCI does better, some CCL.

RCI marketing should be thrilled to know the extent to which some cruisers are "Loyal Royals" to the extent they are. As another poster said I wonder if they 1. Never sailed CCL. or 2. Sailed with some serious expectations of a bad cruise.

A cruise is what you make of it.

I have two cruises on RCI booked as of today. But if I want a short getaway out of PC it will probably be on CCL for the reasons stated in my original post.

Just my two cents.

Thanks to all, hope all your future cruises (whatever line) are amazing.

Ed