Carnival's Response to RCI PC changes?

So, since the original thread discussing whether RCI was "abandoning" PC by bringing MJ here was closed for some reason I'll start a new one.

With MJ coming here to replace Enchantment/Rhapsody I was not overly thrilled. And with Oasis at PC really not thrilled, no interest in her. So I wandered back over to the Carnival website to see what my options were, having sailed both pretty consistently though pretty much RCI recently.

Surprise, Surprise! Carnival is sending Sensation to Miami and having Victory and then Valor take over the 3/4 and 5/6 day runs.

Meaning Carnival has relatively newer, more featured (Yes, I Know MJ is going in for refurb). ships with more itinerary options.

Request in advance. Please no CCL vs RCI comments. I am aware of the differences and all things being equal prefer RCI. But all things are not equal and CCL will give PC cruisers more options, which is the point of this discussion.

Thoughts? Will the greater options compared to just having Majesty and Oasis tempt you? It's tempting me.:D

They would have to tempt me with a free cruise. I almost would have went on a Carnival cruise back around 2010. My BIL who was at Carnival's highest reward level wanted to do a family cruise. It would have been on Carnival. He died unexpectedly in the early planning. So, if I win one I won't refuse to go.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Majesty + Oasis = abandoning the port.

Oasis has more than the Freedom does, so that's more.

And while the Majesty has less than the Enchantment, it's not the same less.

Just because you are not interested in the Oasis does not mean everyone is.

Especially given an alternative of Carnival. No, given the options of Oasis + Majesty, Carnival does not remotely look interesting.

Well I guess one of us has to be odd man out on this question. After all the announcements settled out, we booked a 3-night Disney cruise next October (no desire to cruise on Majesty, and a balcony on Dream was only ~$100 more than a shoe box JS on Majesty). I had booked Oasis for March 2017 as a surprise for DW, and she informed me she had no desire to ever go on a ship that big, so we switched that one to a 5-night Brilliance out of Tampa. Finished the hat trick when she told me she was getting tired of Freedom as well and why don't we just book a shorter cruise instead, so we're now booked on Carnival Victory for a 5-night cruise out of PC.:o

With the continuing trend at RC to cost-cut and lessen quality overall , RC is becoming a more Carnival like experience anyway ... so why not try one of the Carnival ships that are nicer and newer than the old Majesty ?

RC isn't the RC of the past that so many of you all are holding on to, lets face it. RC is just a mass market cruise line .. just like Carnival is. (GASP! :eek:)

Ive only been sailing RC for about 6 yrs now and each time, I've noticed a decline in one area or another.

Heck yea I'd give Carnival a shot (tho one one of their newer ships like Valor or Victory .. not the old Fantasy class barges ... they just look nasty ).

And before the RC cheerleaders respond, I'll say it for you "Well then enjoy your cruise on Carnival, perhaps you are better suited there..." :rolleyes:

Edited by F27TW

This doesn't really change much for me with regards to RCI, I'll happily cruise Majesty when the price is right. I like the older and smaller ships. I wish Royal would have sent us the Legend, she's even smaller! Or bring the old Empress back and send her to PC! Are any of the original triplets still afloat? Howabout Song of America?

As far as CCL goes, I prefer their Fantasy Class ships. So them sending bigger tonnage to PC isn't good news to me. I'm just glad Paradise is still in Tampa.

Edited by DarthGrady

Lucky PC, here in Miami majesty is the only ship that sails year around from Miami. Once in a while they bring a really big ship but not anymore. I miss when Liberty was in Miami all year long but that's history.

With MJ coming here to replace Enchantment/Rhapsody I was not overly thrilled. And with Oasis at PC really not thrilled, no interest in her. So I wandered back over to the Carnival website to see what my options were, having sailed both pretty consistently though pretty much RCI recently.

Surprise, Surprise! Carnival is sending Sensation to Miami and having Victory and then Valor take over the 3/4 and 5/6 day runs.

Meaning Carnival has relatively newer, more featured (Yes, I Know MJ is going in for refurb). ships with more itinerary options.

Thoughts? Will the greater options compared to just having Majesty and Oasis tempt you? It's tempting me.:D

You forgot to mention Carnival is also bringing in the newer Carnival Magic. Lots of options for us locals to catch last minute good deals.

Well I'll join the minority and say, Yes I'm tempted, especially as Carnival Magic will sail from PC.

Wasn't blown away by Enchantment during our May 4th - 8th sailing this year, and then immediately boarded Carnival Valor on May 8th and it was a refreshing change, so although I love Oasis class, it all depends on price. If RCI continue to charge ridiculous prices as they are currently IMHO, then Carnival it will be, because as already mentioned RCI is not the cruise line of old (a lot has changed since we first sailed out of PC in 2004 onboard Mariner of the Seas!) and Majesty does not offer any attraction for me.

Edited by peteukmcr

I've been on the Majesty twice, and loved it both times. Once on a 7 day, then a 4 day.The Oasis is a class by itself, and Carnival has nothing to compare. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't try the Carnival ships, depending on itinerary and price. Right now, as far as I'm concerned RCCL has priced itself out of the market. After the Carnival Vista, I'm looking at MSC and even Celebrity, who is cheaper than RCCL on some cruises. I'm talking about the Silhouette, not one of their older ships.

If the price is right, we're up for sailing a ship we haven't done before no matter the line. Haven't had a bad cruise yet! Some are different than others, but we continue to meet interesting people every time and what better way to try out something new than on a shorter sailing at a favorable price!

John