MDR Dress Attire

heatherpl

This is the problem. Reading through this post it occurred to me that if people stayed out of other peoples business the whole dress code thing becomes a non issue. If you want to dress up or not or wear a hat or tank top or not thats you it will and should in no way effect what i do. I dont care in the least bit if others choose to do or not do any of those things. Long story short mind your own business.

Now what fun would message boards be without opinions, debates, and maybe even some elevated blood pressures on occasion? Those things are the life blood of a discussion forum. As long as it remains fairly civil and no one gets threatened, the arguments are harmless... maybe even healthy.

Could you clarify for me how the dress code becomes moot if everyone minds their own business? If everyone WERE to, "mind their own business," would that somehow change the fact that Carnival has a dress code for the MDR?

I think all the talk about ball caps and tank tops and traditions is actually a side issue. The main topic should be, should Carnival's dress code be adhered to. Yes, and if so, why? Or No, and if so, why?

:oI'm sitting here trying to remember which side the bread plate is on and for the life of me I can't remember. And, for many families, they set the table with one fork, one knife, and one spoon...who knew you were supposed to set it with an appetizer fork, a salad fork, an entree fork, a soup spoon, a dessert spoon, a bread knife and a steak knife....don't even know if the new set of flatware I just bought my niece even has all of those?

Just so you know my feeling is that I'd never want to invite you over for dinner...it wouldn't make my meal much fun.

It's actually quite simple. Take your thumb and forefinger, put them together. Your left hand will form a B, your bread plate is to the left of your plate. Your right hand makes a D, your drink glass in on your right. Easy, peasy ;)

It's actually quite simple. Take your thumb and forefinger, put them together. Your left hand will form a B, your bread plate is to the left of your plate. Your right hand makes a D, your drink glass in on your right. Easy, peasy ;)

WOW! Who knew there was such an easy way to remember? I grew up with 1 fork & 1 knife by my plate. I still remember the first big dinner I went to when I worked for an insurance company. Thank goodness the agent sitting next to me was a good guy. He must have seen the look on my face when I sat down & saw all the silverware. He quietly gave me instruction and it's been good ever since. Didn't remember about all the drink glass etiquette. Good to know.

We don't use the dining room at breakfast or lunch, but I do remember a friend who had his ball cap on at dinner one night & was asked to remove it. As far as elegant nights, I've seen nice jeans & top all the way to tuxes & gowns.

As far as I'm concerned, just be clean & covered (no armpit hair, please).

I totally agree on the arm pit hair. Who wants to see, or smell, that while eating?

Dramatic? Nah, not on the inside. Just having some fun. I enjoy a good, civil debate when I'm in the mood for it. I did realize my last post sounded a little over the top, thus my mention of being melodramatic. I was laughing at myself a bit. I'm glad to hear you will follow the dress code. You might be salvageable after all. (j/k)

Happy cruising (with cap, or without) :-)

Trust me, I'm way beyond salvageable. And so is my hair. Hence the cap. lol.

If you asked your mother or a teacher why you should remove your hat indoors, you would probably have gotten the, "Because I said so" response. Back in the day, manners were taught at home and in school. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case because many young mothers were never taught any manners to pass on to their children. No hats indoors, and it would be nice if the men wouldn't try to run women over to get on or off the elevator, and holding a door is still appreciated by many women.

It would be great if Carnival would offer an etiquette course - I am so sick of people using the wrong bread plate and forcing everyone at the table to in turn use the wrong one. Also, when you are leaving the table, but plan to return, you fold and put your napkin over the arm (or back if no arms) of your chair. Don't throw your dirty napkin on the table! Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman asking for instructions on the use of the utensils on a formal table setting. Our grandkids know, because the table gets set like that for birthday dinners, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Amazing how many successful adults arrive for a dinner party and have no clue which fork to use.

DH grew up in a family that did not emphasize manners and he had to do a crash course when he realized at company functions how out of step he was and that they were judging him by his lack of manners. Now, his are impeccable. We often give a book of etiquette as a graduation gift and have been told many times how grateful they were to receive it.

Good manners are meant to make others feel comfortable and to show them respect. Not to make them feel judged or beneath you. Perhaps you should actually read one of those etiquette books. I've attended several dinner parties in my day, many of them hosted by very successful people. I spent the evening engaging in interesting conversation and enjoying exquisite food. Never once did I waste my time watching to see who was using the wrong fork.

I totally agree on the arm pit hair.

Where in the Carnival dress code does it say that arm pit hair cannot be visible at meal times?

It says men cannot wear tank tops, but women can. Nothing says women have to shave, so I'm not seeing the armpit hair ban here...

My thoughts exactly! Why do people still discuss this? There is a dress code follow it or don't. There's really is no reason to debate what is set forth by the cruise line. Me personally, I follow rules and if I don't like them I go somewhere else...I don't try to change the rules or debate them. There's no point to it. I do care about people breaking rules because they hog chairs by the pool, they come to the dining room with their hairy armpits, etc. Just follow the rules or stay home! That' MHO.

All of this would be good in a perfect world but people just aren't perfect. I'd love it if everyone followed every single rule or just not come on a ship. I can think of a dozen things that happen every day that are in direct violation of a cruise ship rule or code. The bottom line is that people pick and choose their rule violations...and those without sin are really the only ones who should be throwing stones, but I know that just isn't what is happening. The biggest misdemeanor on a ship is boarding time. The official Carnival rules says that boarding begins at 1:00...now how many people follow that one, including Carnival itself?

All of this would be good in a perfect world but people just aren't perfect. I'd love it if everyone followed every single rule or just not come on a ship. I can think of a dozen things that happen every day that are in direct violation of a cruise ship rule or code. The bottom line is that people pick and choose their rule violations...and those without sin are really the only ones who should be throwing stones, but I know that just isn't what is happening. The biggest misdemeanor on a ship is boarding time. The official Carnival rules says that boarding begins at 1:00...now how many people follow that one, including Carnival itself?

Actually, the boarding time is not a rule. It is the official time for boarding to start, but they usually do start boarding early.

There is also no rule that says people can not get there early and wait for boarding to begin.

... The biggest misdemeanor on a ship is boarding time. The official Carnival rules says that boarding begins at 1:00...now how many people follow that one, including Carnival itself?

When your host says come aboard, it time to step across the leeward rail and join the party.

Do all of us that are uneducated to your rule and post the link.

Where in the Carnival dress code does it say that arm pit hair cannot be visible at meal times?

It says men cannot wear tank tops, but women can. Nothing says women have to shave, so I'm not seeing the armpit hair ban here...

There IS no arm pit hair prohibition in the dress code. You got me. Clever you. ;-)

When your host says come aboard, it time to step across the leeward rail and join the party.

Do all of us that are uneducated to your rule and post the link.

https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/677/1433523417/redirect/1/filename/Embarkation%20Hours.pdf

and it doesn't say "suggested" or come any time you want. It says "embarkation hours".

There's nothing written regarding armpit hair. I just think it's gross at the dinner table. Personal opinion only.

Good manners are meant to make others feel comfortable and to show them respect. Not to make them feel judged or beneath you. Perhaps you should actually read one of those etiquette books. I've attended several dinner parties in my day, many of them hosted by very successful people. I spent the evening engaging in interesting conversation and enjoying exquisite food. Never once did I waste my time watching to see who was using the wrong fork.

Why isn't there a "like" button! LIKE LIKE LIKE!

https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/677/1433523417/redirect/1/filename/Embarkation%20Hours.pdf

and it doesn't say "suggested" or come any time you want. It says "embarkation hours".

If people pushed past security and barged through barricades, then it would clearly be breaking the rules. However, if Carnival starts boarding early, it is most definitely not breaking the rules. It is abiding by the rules. You arrived early to the port, waited patiently, and boarded when they began boarding. If it was a rule breaker, they wouldn't have FTTF which allows for earlier boarding and has your cabin ready when you board.

Edited by Fitzget

If people pushed past security and barged through barricades, then it would clearly be breaking the rules. However, if Carnival starts boarding early, it is most definitely not breaking the rules. It is abiding by the rules. You arrived early to the port, waited patiently, and boarded when they began boarding. If it was a rule breaker, they wouldn't have FTTF which allows for earlier boarding and has your cabin ready when you board.

I wrote, earlier, that Carnival "breaks" its own printed guidelines. So if they do it once what is to make passengers think that the cruiseline cares about guidelines and hence they chuck the dress code along with the boarding guidelines. You can't "enforce" one when you are so "lax" with the other.

I wrote, earlier, that Carnival "breaks" its own printed guidelines. So if they do it once what is to make passengers think that the cruiseline cares about guidelines and hence they chuck the dress code along with the boarding guidelines. You can't "enforce" one when you are so "lax" with the other.

Ah! I see what you are saying now, I misunderstood.

If you asked your mother or a teacher why you should remove your hat indoors, you would probably have gotten the, "Because I said so" response. Back in the day, manners were taught at home and in school. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case because many young mothers were never taught any manners to pass on to their children. No hats indoors, and it would be nice if the men wouldn't try to run women over to get on or off the elevator, and holding a door is still appreciated by many women.

It would be great if Carnival would offer an etiquette course - I am so sick of people using the wrong bread plate and forcing everyone at the table to in turn use the wrong one. Also, when you are leaving the table, but plan to return, you fold and put your napkin over the arm (or back if no arms) of your chair. Don't throw your dirty napkin on the table! Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman asking for instructions on the use of the utensils on a formal table setting. Our grandkids know, because the table gets set like that for birthday dinners, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Amazing how many successful adults arrive for a dinner party and have no clue which fork to use.

DH grew up in a family that did not emphasize manners and he had to do a crash course when he realized at company functions how out of step he was and that they were judging him by his lack of manners. Now, his are impeccable. We often give a book of etiquette as a graduation gift and have been told many times how grateful they were to receive it.

If someone is polite and respectful to people that's all that matters.

To get angry over someone using the wrong bread plate or the wrong fork is ridiculous and petty. But coming from someone who in another thread said they wouldn't take a free cruise if it was in an inside cabin, it's not real surprising.

This post is a great example of why so many people now want to be seated with only their traveling companions. Because who wants to be stuck with someone getting angry over someone using the wrong plate. Life is too short to deal with people who think they are above everyone else.

And btw isn't it considered the epitome of bad manners to point out others lack of manners?

Edited by BeachChik

This post is a great example of why so many people now want to be seated with only their traveling companions. Because who wants to be stuck with someone getting angry over someone using the wrong plate. Life is too short to deal with people who think they are above everyone else.

Yep, that! We sit by ourselves because my partner and I don't like to be judged by anyone. ;) ;)

Yep, that! We sit by ourselves because my partner and I don't like to be judged by anyone. ;) ;)
Don't you just hate that a "table for two" now means a table for twenty-something, with a six inch gap between your party and the next party? I miss actual tables for two. My wife and I prefer to keep to ourselves and enjoy each others company as well... for different reasons than you and your partner, I'm guessing. Though we too have been sort of judged on at least one occasion in the MDR, because of being from the South. Well, not judged, I guess, more like stereotyped. But I'm rambling now. I'll hang up and listen. I need to go pick me out some ball caps for the upcoming cruise anyway. ;-)

She knows this. And she'd board if her group was called.

"Oh, not me, I want to wait here until the boarding time comes that's posted in the FAQ section on your website." Said no one ever...

Don't you just hate that a "table for two" now means a table for twenty-something, with a six inch gap between your party and the next party? I miss actual tables for two. My wife and I prefer to keep to ourselves and enjoy each others company as well... for different reasons than you and your partner, I'm guessing. Though we too have been sort of judged on at least one occasion in the MDR, because of being from the South. Well, not judged, I guess, more like stereotyped. But I'm rambling now. I'll hang up and listen. I need to go pick me out some ball caps for the upcoming cruise anyway. ;-)

Sorry for the very delayed response! Don't judge me ;) Yes, I do hate that a table for two becomes a table for 20 something. lol. Last Carnival cruise, we got a table for 4 on late dining, and our table mates never once showed for dinner. Was fine by us. :D

I'm not southern, but I live in Nashville, so I may judge you. LOL. I kid. I moved here from Los Angeles, where I was born and raised, and will never look back. I love being in the south now.

If someone is polite and respectful to people that's all that matters.

To get angry over someone using the wrong bread plate or the wrong fork is ridiculous and petty. But coming from someone who in another thread said they wouldn't take a free cruise if it was in an inside cabin, it's not real surprising.

And btw isn't it considered the epitome of bad manners to point out others lack of manners?

Just because I know which bread plate to use does not make me bad , judging others wrongly It just means I know what plate to use. When someone sits and uses the wrong plate , if kinda force the remaining people to use the wrong plate

It doesn't make them less it just shows they do not know what plate to use.

Simple and factual

I too do not sleep in inside rooms, won't go even if free

It doesn't make me better , just makes me someone who does not like inside rooms. Also I choose to sit with friends cause I hate to be judged for my ways

Different strokes