MDR Dress Attire

heatherpl

I was reading the guidelines of the dress code for the MDR on casual nights and elegant nights even during the day. I noticed on my last cruise men wore hats even baseball hats and it says this isn't permitted. I know a lot of people don't follow the rules and also wear tank tops.

Has anyone ever obeyed these rules and do they actually say something if you come during lunch with a hat or tank top? even wearing a nice dress hat with black slacks and a dress shirt for elegant night for men?

I have never worn a cap in the MDR except for day of debarkation for breakfast. I was asked to remove my cap. Though that was back in 2009. A lot has changed since then.

I don't ever see people wearing caps in the MDR for dinner, nor tank tops. Though perhaps I am not very observant. See plenty of t-shirts and jeans.

I was reading the guidelines of the dress code for the MDR on casual nights and elegant nights even during the day. I noticed on my last cruise men wore hats even baseball hats and it says this isn't permitted. I know a lot of people don't follow the rules and also wear tank tops.

Has anyone ever obeyed these rules and do they actually say something if you come during lunch with a hat or tank top? even wearing a nice dress hat with black slacks and a dress shirt for elegant night for men?

There was a time (not so long ago) that men would take off their hats prior to sitting down for dinner, and if a man forgot, his wife/girlfriend (or mother) would remind him. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, that custom seems to have almost disappeared. I see it all of the time. Not just on a cruise ship, but at land-based restaurants too. Tank tops are okay at the buffet, but they're really not appropriate in the MDR. For some reason, on most ships, the Maitre D and the wait staff rarely actually enforce the dress code in the MDR. If they did, you wouldn't see the frequent comments and complaints posted on here. Typically, the first MDR staff member to see guests, as they enter the MDR, is the hostess. Perhaps she should speak up if someone is not appropriately attired and deny a guest access if the person is not properly dressed for dinner. On our last cruise, thinking it would be okay, I wore shorts to the steakhouse. The hostess very politely told me shorts were not allowed. I went back to our cabin and changed into Dockers.

I follow the dress code, to answer one of your questions, as do many others. Some don't, but they still seem to be in the minority, as of my last cruise. That minority seems to be steadily growing though. I really don't understand why some desire to be slobs in public, but I'm not as excitable about the issue as some. I can deal with it as long whomever is sitting near doesn't reek, or isn't dripping perspiration from their tank tops.

I also don't understand why someone would insist on wearing a hat to dinner. Why is it important to them, I wonder. I can't think of a single good reason to do so, unless dinner is being served outside, in direct sun. In that case it would make perfect sense.

In regard to your question about whether or not the dining room staff ever says anything to someone blatantly ignoring the dress code, that seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes they make an effort to enforce the code, sometimes they don't. I'd guess it varies from ship to ship.

There was a time (not so long ago) that men would take off their hats prior to sitting down for dinner, and if a man forgot, his wife/girlfriend (or mother) would remind him. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, that custom seems to have almost disappeared.

But why did they even remove it? What was the purpose? To show their hair? What's unfortunate if you can't see all of their hair?

I never wear a hat (other than my avatar - LOL), even in sun, but it's because I don't like to wear a hat. But I am interested in learning the logic of taking off a hat.

Edited by fuddrules

Enforcement of dress code can vary from ship to ship and with different managers. One cruise we went to breakfast in the MDR right before we left for port. My husband was told he was not permitted to enter with flip flops.

Another time and another ship, our friends tried to enter the dining room on "elegant" night with nice short, was turned away. He went back to the cabin and changed. He just wanted to see if he could get away with it, I guess.:eek:

But why did they even remove it? What was the purpose? To show their hair? What's unfortunate if you can't see all of their hair?

I never wear a hat (other than my avatar - LOL), even in sun, but it's because I don't like to wear a hat. But I am interested in learning the logic of taking off a hat.

I googled your question and found this:

"Hats were often worn for protection from the sun and industrial activities. Men generally "tipped" their hats, or temporarily removed them, in the presence of women as a sign of good manners and respect. This developed into removing one's hat when indoors as a sign of respect and trust. There were valid safety reasons for wearing a hat most of the time when outdoors. While wearing hats often is not as common now, removing one's hat inside a home or building is still considered good etiquette."

I'm also curious why the custom of removing hats began. How come men have to but women can keep their hats on in, say, church? Not trying to be controversial: just genuinely curious.

I googled your question and found this:

"Hats were often worn for protection from the sun and industrial activities. Men generally "tipped" their hats, or temporarily removed them, in the presence of women as a sign of good manners and respect. This developed into removing one's hat when indoors as a sign of respect and trust. There were valid safety reasons for wearing a hat most of the time when outdoors. While wearing hats often is not as common now, removing one's hat inside a home or building is still considered good etiquette."

Thanks

But it still begs the question, why? It doesn't answer the question.

Lack of respect and trust for wearing a hat...that seems very superficial to me. Very odd too. Because I can guarantee wearing a hat (or not) has no bearing on if someone is trustworthy.

People do things, I suppose, because they're Lemmings. That's about the best reason I can figure.

Edited by fuddrules

I wonder if the reason a lot of men wear hats all the time is because of vanity. They don't want people to see they are getting bald. Or maybe they work outdoors and wear a hat all the time. They get "hat hair" where you can see the indentation where that hat usually is. I know a man that works outdoors who has a pale forehead and tanned lower face from wearing a hat all the time. It looks funny in church.

If you cruise out of Galveston, you will see cowboy hats and boots. The first day you will see them sailing overboard when the ship leaves port. I don't understand the boots at all. They must take up a lot of room in their luggage.

Thanks

But it still begs the question, why? It doesn't answer the question.

Lack of respect and trust for wearing a hat...that seems very superficial to me. Very odd too. Because I can guarantee wearing a hat or not has no bearing on if someone is trustworthy.

I "get" your question. I was curious about the origin of this custom too, so I googled it. Short answer, it's just one of those customs that has slowly developed over a long period of time, a small gesture of respect and courtesy.

My turn to ask a question. Why would someone insist on wearing something designed to be worn outdoors, indoors. Do they insist out of rebellion against age old customs (and if so, why?), or simply so they won't have to wash/comb their hair?

Times change and styles change. We don't tip hats to women anymore either. I wear hats (ball cap or trucker style) that go with an outfit. I'm not worried about taking it off inside. This is 2015. A lot of customs are no longer relevant.

I wonder if the reason a lot of men wear hats all the time is because of vanity. They don't want people to see they are getting bald.
I'm sure that explains some of it, but not all. It seems most of the males you see wearing hats indoors are too young to be balding.

Times change and styles change. We don't tip hats to women anymore either. I wear hats (ball cap or trucker style) that go with an outfit. I'm not worried about taking it off inside. This is 2015. A lot of customs are no longer relevant.
Why wouldn't you tip your hat to a lady, as a sign of respect? Why would you be opposed to it? Is this a bad custom, a destructive custom, that needs to be buried? Or is it something else? Just curious. Yes, styles change, but do ALL customs need to change, just because they weren't developed in 2015? Are people in 2015 necessarily wiser than they were in say, 2005? Or 1995? Is overturning traditions always a good thing? Why is wearing a hat indoors important? Thanks.

My turn to ask a question. Why would someone insist on wearing something designed to be worn outdoors, indoors. Do they insist out of rebellion against age old customs (and if so, why?), or simply so they won't have to wash/comb their hair?

Rebellion probably isn't too high on the list but there. I'm guessing the #1 reason is because they are used to wearing a hat and without it something feels off. It's simply part of their usual attire.

Other reasons, lack of hair, lack of washed hair, showing their support of a sports team.....I'm sure there are many other reasons.

No, we don't tip hats to women anymore. That goes without saying. That old custom was only mentioned, in the article I pasted, to explain where the custom of taking off one's hat at the dinner table came from. It didn't suggest that it is still in vogue. The article does say that it is STILL considered good etiquette to remove one's hat at dinner.

Why wouldn't you tip your hat to a lady, as a sign of respect? Why would you be opposed to it? Is this a bad custom, a destructive custom, that needs to be buried? Or is it something else? Just curious. Yes, styles change, but do ALL customs need to change, just because they weren't developed in 2015? Are people in 2015 necessarily wiser than they were in say, 2005? Or 1995? Is overturning traditions always a good thing? Why is wearing a hat indoors important? Thanks.

So how so you suppose we decide which customs change and which stay?

The tipping of the hat and opening doors for women mostly went out with womens lib. Men did not know if they were going to be yelled at for it, so they stopped.

I have never gotten having to take off your hat. People say, my mama taught me to remove my hat inside. So?

Unless there is a good reason for it, besides your mama taught you, it is your call in my opinion.

My mama taught me to take my shoes off when I went inside a house. Do I do it now? No.

Some people hang on to custom as long as they can because for many it is a sign of stability in a world that moves faster and faster. If you are a woman you may remember hats and gloves and mink stoles and hosiery and walking 5 paces behind your husband carrying a dainty handkerchief that you embroidered whenever you went to a public place. Times change, customs change, "proper" dress changes, the sin of wearing a hat indoors has changed.

Why can't we all just be happy if someone dresses in clean clothes and reasonably modestly with some kind of footwear and they, themselves, are considerate enough to take a shower, clean their nails, and check for bad breath and body odor. The rest is just fluff.

So how so you suppose we decide which customs change and which stay?

The tipping of the hat and opening doors for women mostly went out with womens lib. Men did not know if they were going to be yelled at for it, so they stopped.

I have never gotten having to take off your hat. People say, my mama taught me to remove my hat inside. So?

Unless there is a good reason for it, besides your mama taught you, it is your call in my opinion.

My mama taught me to take my shoes off when I went inside a house. Do I do it now? No.

No, we don't tip hats to women anymore. That goes without saying. That old custom was only mentioned, in the article I pasted, to explain where the custom of taking off one's hat at the dinner table came from. It didn't suggest that it is still in vogue. The article does say that it is STILL considered good etiquette to remove one's hat at dinner.

I have to disagree that etiquette is an individual's call. Etiquette is developed over a long period of time, by society as a whole, things like shaking hands, saying thank you, etc... customs do slowly change over time, but not because of one person's opinion, but because the majority have changed it, a little bit at a time. Does etiquette have to be adhered to? No. That IS at the discretion of an individual.

Thank you for your reply. I enjoy a civil, friendly debate.

Removing your hat indoors or when eating is a sign of good manners. You can do it, or not do it. Either action will not change the fact that removal of your hat indoors or at meal time is a sign of good manners!