MDR Dress Attire

heatherpl

This right here is the best comment. People are so judgmental towards what other people do. I'd rather sit with someone wearing a tank top and ball cap than any one of these judgmental people who think just because someone wears a cap to dinner means they weren't raised properly. I don't have time for such people in my life. Like I've said, live and let live. My attire does not affect your life in the least.

My parents raised me to treat everyone with respect and to not judge - ever! That is being raised the right way in my eyes.

I agree.

Thank you, Sweet Dutch Girl, for your comment.

.My parents raised me to treat everyone with respect and to not judge - ever! That is being raised the right way in my eyes.

That's cute, coming from the person who equated people who follow the rules and use good manners as being "Lemmings." Hypocrite much?

That's cute, coming from the person who equated people who follow the rules and use good manners as being "Lemmings." Hypocrite much?

I'm sorry, but I think you're mistaken. I have never said that. I have only said that I WOULD follow the rules, and if the rules state no hats in the dining room, I would follow that rule. I have also said that I never judge what anyone else wears or does. That includes those that follow all the rules, why would I judge someone for following a rule.

I have never used the word "lemming" and I have never judged someone for following the rules or having good manners. I said those that still tip their hats to women, fine for them. It's just not something I've ever done or would ever do.

I've also said that people have different ideas of what bad manners are. I don't think wearing a hat at dinner is bad manners, but that's just me. If someone judges me for a hat, that's when I feel sorry for them, because they're judging me for something so small and meaningless.

I'm sorry, but I think you're mistaken. I have never said that. I have only said that I WOULD follow the rules, and if the rules state no hats in the dining room, I would follow that rule. I have also said that I never judge what anyone else wears or does. That includes those that follow all the rules, why would I judge someone for following a rule.

I have never used the word "lemming" and I have never judged someone for following the rules or having good manners. I said those that still tip their hats to women, fine for them. It's just not something I've ever done or would ever do.

I've also said that people have different ideas of what bad manners are. I don't think wearing a hat at dinner is bad manners, but that's just me. If someone judges me for a hat, that's when I feel sorry for them, because they're judging me for something so small and meaningless.

You are correct. It was fuddrules who made that statement, not you. Please accept my apologies...

Edited by Raxter54

Has anyone ever obeyed these rules and do they actually say something if you come during lunch with a hat or tank top? even wearing a nice dress hat with black slacks and a dress shirt for elegant night for men?

I'm just curious to know what a 'nice dress hat' is? LOL - is it a fancier ball call? a fedora? a bowler? I think someone one would look at bit out of place wearing black slacks, a nice dress shirt and a 'fancy' ball cap on elegant night??:rolleyes:

As well I do hear they are 'cracking down' on hats in the MDR - as per other posts and information - so just be prepared to remove it if asked!

My wife and I dress up on formal night, because we enjoy it and it is fun for us.

Unless the people next to me are coming in wearing swim attire, I could 100% care less what other people are wearing.

Enjoy your vacation your own way, as long as it is within reason.

I guess I'm a dinosaur. I never wear less than khakis and a polo on casual nights and always wear a suit on formal nights. I do wear hats and caps regularly and always remove them when I go indoors with the exception of a store. I never, ever wear one at a meal. I also hold doors open for my wife and anyone else coming in close behind me. And yes, I will gladly give my seat up to a woman if there aren't any others available.

And regarding the post about the monocle and top hat: That ensemble would traditionally also include gloves and a cane or walking stick. The top hat, gloves and cane would be checked at the door when you entered and would be returned to you upon leaving.

You can start with this:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Taken from this: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx?cid=So_CM_NA_P_AWG

After that one can argue and debate to tipping, removing, quantifying, defending and reminiscing about cruises from 1980 or the Titanic, the facts are clear, Carnival allows hats in the main dining room and everywhere else on the ships on Cruise Casual night. They even go as far to say baseball hats in the Not Permitted sentence.

Why can't that be the end all? Because some want to interpret attire with class, character, moral compass and manners.

Here's the problem with that wasted effort. A mere 120 minutes before dinner a fellow cruiser can devour four coconut monkey containers full of alcohol, grind on his/her date at the lido deck where the DJ has made it a party atmosphere more suited for a disco after-hours and roar like Tarzan to win a ship on a stick.

What magical powers do you think the salt air has to transform those fellow passengers into a Emily Post reviewed event? Zero would be my guess.

If you really want to enjoy your hard earned vacation do this; wake up and look in the mirror and tell that person to have a good time, don't worry about someone else, what they wear, what they do (within guidelines) and remember that policy I posted above was read by you and the guy wearing the hat at the time you booked your cruise.

It's worked for my wife and I for the past thirty trips and should work for the two upcoming sailings.

Edited by BallFour4

If you asked your mother or a teacher why you should remove your hat indoors, you would probably have gotten the, "Because I said so" response. Back in the day, manners were taught at home and in school. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case because many young mothers were never taught any manners to pass on to their children. No hats indoors, and it would be nice if the men wouldn't try to run women over to get on or off the elevator, and holding a door is still appreciated by many women.

It would be great if Carnival would offer an etiquette course - I am so sick of people using the wrong bread plate and forcing everyone at the table to in turn use the wrong one. Also, when you are leaving the table, but plan to return, you fold and put your napkin over the arm (or back if no arms) of your chair. Don't throw your dirty napkin on the table! Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman asking for instructions on the use of the utensils on a formal table setting. Our grandkids know, because the table gets set like that for birthday dinners, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Amazing how many successful adults arrive for a dinner party and have no clue which fork to use.

DH grew up in a family that did not emphasize manners and he had to do a crash course when he realized at company functions how out of step he was and that they were judging him by his lack of manners. Now, his are impeccable. We often give a book of etiquette as a graduation gift and have been told many times how grateful they were to receive it.

Edited by DebJ14

You are correct. It was fuddrules who made that statement, not you. Please accept my apologies...

Just an FYI, if anyone wants to actually get specific, read the rules, and not be a Lemming, Carnival's MDR dress requirements for both Cruise Casual and Cruise Elegant do not permit a baseball hat.

That's it. Any other type of hat is NOT referenced in their requirements.

Show up in a fedora, cowboy hat, etc...and you are perfectly within Carnival requirements.

A friend of mine had cancer and lost all his hair, he would wear a ball cap to keep people from staring at him and making him feel less of a human because he lost all his hair..

good enough reason to wear a hat indoors if you ask me !!!!

If you asked your mother or a teacher why you should remove your hat indoors, you would probably have gotten the, "Because I said so" response. Back in the day, manners were taught at home and in school. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case because many young mothers were never taught any manners to pass on to their children. No hats indoors, and it would be nice if the men wouldn't try to run women over to get on or off the elevator, and holding a door is still appreciated by many women.

It would be great if Carnival would offer an etiquette course - I am so sick of people using the wrong bread plate and forcing everyone at the table to in turn use the wrong one. Also, when you are leaving the table, but plan to return, you fold and put your napkin over the arm (or back if no arms) of your chair. Don't throw your dirty napkin on the table! Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman asking for instructions on the use of the utensils on a formal table setting. Our grandkids know, because the table gets set like that for birthday dinners, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Amazing how many successful adults arrive for a dinner party and have no clue which fork to use.

DH grew up in a family that did not emphasize manners and he had to do a crash course when he realized at company functions how out of step he was and that they were judging him by his lack of manners. Now, his are impeccable. We often give a book of etiquette as a graduation gift and have been told many times how grateful they were to receive it.

:oI'm sitting here trying to remember which side the bread plate is on and for the life of me I can't remember. And, for many families, they set the table with one fork, one knife, and one spoon...who knew you were supposed to set it with an appetizer fork, a salad fork, an entree fork, a soup spoon, a dessert spoon, a bread knife and a steak knife....don't even know if the new set of flatware I just bought my niece even has all of those?

Just so you know my feeling is that I'd never want to invite you over for dinner...it wouldn't make my meal much fun.

Like I said, it's great for some if that's your cup of tea, and for others, they live differently. Doesn't make one wrong and the other right. Different strokes for different folks. You grew up in the South maybe? I grew up on the west coast, in an entertainment industry family, and we lived and still live a very casual life. Doesn't mean we don't enjoy the finer things in life, or we don't go to nice restaurants, it just means that we're way more causal. The nicest of the nice restaurants in my hometown of Los Angeles, are casual, and they won't kick you out for wearing shorts. And trust me, they're a lot more formal than the dining rooms on any Carnival ship.

You speak of the Carnival dining room as if it's formal; it's anything but.

I also don't understand why someone would insist on wearing a hat to dinner. Why is it important to them, I wonder. I can't think of a single good reason to do so, unless dinner is being served outside, in direct sun. In that case it would make perfect sense.

OR why someone would wear sunglasses indoors/a club etc (with exception of some type of medical condition)

But why did they even remove it? What was the purpose? To show their hair? What's unfortunate if you can't see all of their hair?

I never wear a hat (other than my avatar - LOL), even in sun, but it's because I don't like to wear a hat. But I am interested in learning the logic of taking off a hat.

When I was growing up, men wearing hats at the table was considered bad manners. It just wasn't done.

Men don't stand up when a woman enters the room or leaves the dinner table any more either. Nor opening doors for women or even holding them open for the anyone behind you. Or elbows on the table.... the list goes on and on. These are all manners that are hardly followed anymore. Perhaps they were started long ago to mentally feel we are more advanced than cavemen or apes.

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Winston Churchill

:rolleyes:

Most of what you just listed still happens with regularity where I live. Now what is interesting is following an adult of of the door and having it slam back in my face yet more often than not the youngsters will hold it. I also still hear "sir" and "madam" and do it myself even though I'm heading up there in years. I don't expect it but it's nice when it happens.

My point is the same as a few others here - what others wear is not going to spoil my party. It may have an effect on ambiance depending on the location/venue etc, but it's not like getting a hair in my soup. Each to their own. And, if dress really is a concern for you, don't do Carnival, find somewhere else to go that will meet your needs because it is clear that Carnival has relaxed a great deal which is awesome for the folks who want casual.

But on those things being thrown around in here that are clearly just manners and do not impinge on your right to wear what you want where you want, they're free so what's the problem? The buffet lines blow my mind sometimes.

Edited by Nezmo

This is why we do ATD at a table for two.

This is the problem. Reading through this post it occurred to me that if people stayed out of other peoples business the whole dress code thing becomes a non issue. If you want to dress up or not or wear a hat or tank top or not thats you it will and should in no way effect what i do. I dont care in the least bit if others choose to do or not do any of those things. Long story short mind your own business.

Edited by CJHAN

You can start with this:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Taken from this: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx?cid=So_CM_NA_P_AWG

After that one can argue and debate to tipping, removing, quantifying, defending and reminiscing about cruises from 1980 or the Titanic, the facts are clear, Carnival allows hats in the main dining room and everywhere else on the ships on Cruise Casual night. They even go as far to say baseball hats in the Not Permitted sentence.

Why can't that be the end all? Because some want to interpret attire with class, character, moral compass and manners.

Here's the problem with that wasted effort. A mere 120 minutes before dinner a fellow cruiser can devour four coconut monkey containers full of alcohol, grind on his/her date at the lido deck where the DJ has made it a party atmosphere more suited for a disco after-hours and roar like Tarzan to win a ship on a stick.

What magical powers do you think the salt air has to transform those fellow passengers into a Emily Post reviewed event? Zero would be my guess.

If you really want to enjoy your hard earned vacation do this; wake up and look in the mirror and tell that person to have a good time, don't worry about someone else, what they wear, what they do (within guidelines) and remember that policy I posted above was read by you and the guy wearing the hat at the time you booked your cruise.

It's worked for my wife and I for the past thirty trips and should work for the two upcoming sailings.

My thoughts exactly! Why do people still discuss this? There is a dress code follow it or don't. There's really is no reason to debate what is set forth by the cruise line. Me personally, I follow rules and if I don't like them I go somewhere else...I don't try to change the rules or debate them. There's no point to it. I do care about people breaking rules because they hog chairs by the pool, they come to the dining room with their hairy armpits, etc. Just follow the rules or stay home! That' MHO.

You are being awfully dramatic, lol. I think you're taking this a little too seriously. Calm down, it's not good for you.

That being said, if it is a rule, I will follow it. I never said anything about breaking rules. Since it specifically says no hats in the dining room, I would follow that rule.

Dramatic? Nah, not on the inside. Just having some fun. I enjoy a good, civil debate when I'm in the mood for it. I did realize my last post sounded a little over the top, thus my mention of being melodramatic. I was laughing at myself a bit. I'm glad to hear you will follow the dress code. You might be salvageable after all. (j/k)

Happy cruising (with cap, or without) :-)

I guess I'm a dinosaur. I never wear less than khakis and a polo on casual nights and always wear a suit on formal nights. I do wear hats and caps regularly and always remove them when I go indoors with the exception of a store. I never, ever wear one at a meal. I also hold doors open for my wife and anyone else coming in close behind me. And yes, I will gladly give my seat up to a woman if there aren't any others available.

And regarding the post about the monocle and top hat: That ensemble would traditionally also include gloves and a cane or walking stick. The top hat, gloves and cane would be checked at the door when you entered and would be returned to you upon leaving.

Nah, you aren't a dinosaur, just a Southern Gentleman. Anyway, kids love dinosaurs, so your goo to go either way. :-)

My thoughts exactly! Why do people still discuss this? There is a dress code follow it or don't. There's really is no reason to debate what is set forth by the cruise line. Me personally, I follow rules and if I don't like them I go somewhere else...I don't try to change the rules or debate them. There's no point to it. I do care about people breaking rules because they hog chairs by the pool, they come to the dining room with their hairy armpits, etc. Just follow the rules or stay home! That' MHO.

Yes, Carnival has a dress code. Too bad they put no effort into enforcing it. My thought has always been- if you don't plan on enforcing rules, get rid of them. That way those that don't follow them anyway will be happy, and those that follow rules will not not be frustrated by the rule-breakers. Everyone will be happy [emoji2]

When I was growing up, men wearing hats at the table was considered bad manners. It just wasn't done.

Yes, that's been established.

But you also used a phone that was attached to the wall (or sat on a table) that ran on a wire through your house and out to a pole. Some may still have that but at least for my children, they can't say that. Times change.

Unless you're concern about an untrustworthy Knight showing up to dinner, you have nothing to worry about.