Alaska Cruisers Opinions

Arizona-Cruising

We are looking at booking a Alaska Cruise 2016/2017?

Trying to decide which Glacier cruise would be best. All the itineraries for the Voyage of the Glaciers include Glacier Bay, so I like your thoughts on College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier. We are flexible on which port we leave out of just unsure on which Glacier is worth seeing on the trip.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

We have sailed to Alaska twice but never to Glacier Bay. We leave in10 days, round

trip, San Franciscoo to Alaska, on the Golden Princess. On this cruise we visit Glacier Bay. According to most of the C C threads I have read Glacier Bay seems to be the choice.

Alaska is beautiful so no matter which you decide upon you should have a great experince.

Enjoy you cruise,

Mark

We returned off your cruise 3 weeks ago it was outstanding! And Glacier Bay was beautiful, I recommend reserving space up in the Sanctuary the gift package, pampering your own reserved lounge chair and blankets along with drinks and food are worth the fee, worth oyur own private viewing of the Glaciers.

Just like to see how the others compare to each other, been thorugh Tracy Arm are these 2 other Glaciers similiar to Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay?

Been to Glacier Bay 3 times, Hubbard Glaccier 3 times and College Fjord once.

First off Hubbard Glacier is like no other glacier you'll see in Alaska. The sheer magnitude is spectacular. However of the three times I've been there we failed to get into the bay once because of fog and once we had so much ice that the Captain turned around in the bay and did not get as close as I've was the first time.

If your more interested in the scenery as well as getting close to a glacier then Glacier Bay is the choice. You'll generally see 3 or 4 glacier including a hanging glacier.

College Fjord glaciers are not necessarily impressive but the sheer number and variety is interesting. We did not get close to any of these glaciers. We saw all the glaciers from a distant.

All three glacier areas form their own weather by the sheer size of the area so don't expect clear skies and sunny weather, dress warm.

Because I've lived in the Pacific Northwest for 45 years I'm jaded when it comes to the scenery. I get spectacular views of Mount Rainier whenever we have a nice day. None of the three areas have scenery to match Mount Rainier. Not even Denali.

We are looking at booking a Alaska Cruise 2016/2017?

Trying to decide which Glacier cruise would be best. All the itineraries for the Voyage of the Glaciers include Glacier Bay, so I like your thoughts on College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier. We are flexible on which port we leave out of just unsure on which Glacier is worth seeing on the trip.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

So Glacier Bay is already on all the itineraries and you want to know which of the other two options are the best to add on. I would definitely chose Hubbard Glacier. Many people think that it is even far better than Glacier Bay. It is one HUGE glacier...7 miles wide. Depending on the time of the year there is more calving as well.

I have been looking at a RT (14 day) Voyage of the Glaciers for next year which will include all of them. We've been to Alaska 4 times and still never tire of it.

Hubbard.....no question....but if you take a couple of days extra, you can easily go to Seward or Whittier and see glaciers.....in fact the 26 Glacier tour leaves right next door to the Princess dock...maybe 30', and yes, you will see 26 Glaciers...and a lot of the coolege glaciers....that way, you can compare....and on your way to Whittier, you see several hanging glaciers......:). We have approximately 100,00 glaciers here in this state...

We returned off your cruise 3 weeks ago it was outstanding! And Glacier Bay was beautiful, I recommend reserving space up in the Sanctuary the gift package, pampering your own reserved lounge chair and blankets along with drinks and food are worth the fee, worth oyur own private viewing of the Glaciers.

Good tip! I'd assumed it would be too cold to make much use of the sanctuary on an Alaska cruise (this will be our first time on Princess).

Did you get it for the entire trip, or just the Glacier Bay day?

Mary

Depending on your time and budget, book a northbound cruise as well as a southbound cruise and perhaps add in a land tour. Better chance that way of having good weather at each of the ports and you can fly round trip to Vancouver or Seattle and not have the long flight to Anchorage.

And if your itinerary doesn't work out for the most popular glaciers, there's always the "poor step-daughter", Tracy Arm Fjord. I've not been to the "biggies" yet, but the cruise up the fjord is pretty spectacular.

https://treven.smugmug.com/Tracy-Arm-Fjord/i-T3GRZpH/0/L/DSC00283-L.jpg

https://treven.smugmug.com/Tracy-Arm-Fjord/i-fMjRnbv/0/L/DSC00285-L.jpg

Edited by Treven

Just like to see how the others compare to each other, been thorugh Tracy Arm are these 2 other Glaciers similiar to Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay?

Great idea. Thanks so much.

Mark

Good tip! I'd assumed it would be too cold to make much use of the sanctuary on an Alaska cruise (this will be our first time on Princess).

Did you get it for the entire trip, or just the Glacier Bay day?

Mary

Just Glacier bay, you are moving at slow speed so the wind is not blowing from ship speed. Still cold bug they take well care of you staying warm. It was 60.00 for the day 7 to 3. You won't regret. The other days we ran around the ship to much.

If I based my cruises to Alaska on glaciers, I would never choose Tracy Arm. Many captains turn around just as you get within sight of the top of the glacier, not where you can see the whole thing. Less than 20% of our Tracy Arm cruises got to a good view of Sawyer Glacier. Glacier Bay or a close view of Hubbard give you a better glacier view, altho' sometimes they don't get very close to Hubbard.

So Glacier Bay is already on all the itineraries and you want to know which of the other two options are the best to add on. I would definitely chose Hubbard Glacier. Many people think that it is even far better than Glacier Bay. It is one HUGE glacier...7 miles wide. Depending on the time of the year there is more calving as well.

I have been looking at a RT (14 day) Voyage of the Glaciers for next year which will include all of them. We've been to Alaska 4 times and still never tire of it.

What line does the 14 day? I looked and could not find that cruise.

We enjoy the Princess line and the comfort of knowing the routine of the ship.

I looked online for the voyage of the glaciers did not see. Guess I can call Princess on Monday. Unless anyone knows.

I am not aware of a 14 day Voyage of the Glaciers but you can book back-to-back northbound and southbound trips.

http://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do?trade=A&port=YVR&subTrade=AGG

Edited by Alaskanb

I looked online for the voyage of the glaciers did not see. Guess I can call Princess on Monday. Unless anyone knows.

Book a cruise back to back, Vancouver to Whittier and then Whittier to Vancouver. You will get two visits to Glacier Bay, see College Fjord northbound and Hubbard Glacier southbound. We were very fortunate on our recent trip (May/June of this year on Grand) to have fantastic weather, and see everything in great weather, as well as get very close to the face of Hubbard - the Captain took us into the ice field quite far. I highly recommend this if you have the time - you will get two stops in the ports and can do more things, and you don't have to choose between College Fjord and Hubbard Glacier, both of which are quite worth the trip.

We prefer cruising southbound if we could only do one way; love Hubbard Glacier, though on the northbound route have enjoyed wildlife viewing (sea otters!) in College Fjord, and found cruising down the fjord a serene experience.

You can look into taking an excursion in Whittier (e.g. Phillips 26 Glacier Tour, Major Marine) before your cruise that gets you touring Prince William Sound for a few hours prior to the cruise; gets much closer to the glaciers and often good critter viewing which is a lovely start to your cruise. Do-able, since the ship leaves in the evening. We typically book a Back to Back, and this is what we do for our "turn around" day.

Alaska is terrific whichever option you choose - have a lovely cruise!

Edited by LoriPhil

I do the B2B Northbound/Southbound almost every year on Princess, The Northbound cruise allows enough time to add the all day Adventure Bound trip to Tracy Arm. I loved College Fjord but over the last 10 years some of the glaciers have retreated enough and now if I had to pick I'd choose the Southbound with Hubbard. Have fun whatever you pick

We have sailed 4 times to Alaska and, in my opinion, Hubbard and Glacier Bay are most impressive. College Fjord has many glaciers but you don't get as close as you do in the other settings. They are all beautiful, including Sawyer Glacier, but Hubbard gets my vote!

I'm sorry, it is a HAL itinerary. Better priced than the RT with Princess and more interesting ports (IMHO) but I totally understand why one would like to stick with a cruise line they are most comfortable with. We like Princess but HAL can come up with more interesting itineraries from time to time.

I'm sorry, it is a HAL itinerary. Better priced than the RT with Princess and more interesting ports (IMHO) but I totally understand why one would like to stick with a cruise line they are most comfortable with. We like Princess but HAL can come up with more interesting itineraries from time to time.

Now if HAL would just sail out of San Francisco once in a while ---:D