What do they normally offer when they cancel a cruise?

leeker13

I see many cruises being cancelled this week, well, at least as of today they are off the schedule including some we were to book today via having friends join us on.

So, Norwegian is going to redeploy the ship elsewhere, I see it coming. My question is what do they normally offer to those whose cruise was cancelled?

The cruises we have booked are not offered at a similar price with a similar package on other ships. For example, we have a Halloween cruise on the Star 16 with a drinks package that included gratuities for under $1,600 total for 3 people OX room.

Will they honor prices on a similar sailing?

What has been the trend in the past.

Though, the way things are going, they may not care.

I see many cruises being cancelled this week, well, at least as of today they are off the schedule including some we were to book today via having friends join us on.

So, Norwegian is going to redeploy the ship elsewhere, I see it coming. My question is what do they normally offer to those whose cruise was cancelled?

The cruises we have booked are not offered at a similar price with a similar package on other ships. For example, we have a Halloween cruise on the Star 16 with a drinks package that included gratuities for under $1,600 total for 3 people OX room.

Will they honor prices on a similar sailing?

What has been the trend in the past.

Though, the way things are going, they may not care.

It depends on how far in advance they cancel and the reason for the cancellation. Not unheard of for them to offer nothing or to honor the price on a comparable cruise.

Here is the letter I got when my cruise was cancelled.

IMPORTANT: CANCELLED SAILING INFORMATION

Dear Valued Guest:

Norwegian Getaway's 7-Day Western Caribbean sailing from Miami on October 23, 2016 is no longer available as a group has privately chartered the entire ship. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for this cancellation and would like to thank you for your understanding. Our goal is to ensure that you still have the vacation of a lifetime with Norwegian.

It would be our pleasure to assist you in selecting another available sailing from the following options:

Option 1: Select any of Norwegian Getaway's available 7-Day Western Caribbean sailings from Miami from January 3, 2016 through April 30, 2017 (excluding December 26, 2016) and your cruise fare will be protected. If you choose this option, a $50 per stateroom onboard credit, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges, will be issued to your onboard account. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S or H), a $100 per stateroom onboard credit, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges, will be issued to your onboard account.

Option 2: Select any available sailing in our fleet from now until December 31, 2016 at the current published fare. If you choose this option, a $50 per stateroom onboard credit, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges, will be issued to your onboard account. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S or H), a $100 per stateroom onboard credit, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges, will be issued to your onboard account.

Please let us know your preference by calling our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET Monday through Friday. If we do not receive a response by Tuesday, June 23, 2015, reservations on Norwegian Getaway will be cancelled and deposits will be refunded.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to assisting you with your reservation.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

We're on the same Star cruise as emcelh which disappeared today, so I guess we may be getting something similar to one of those letters soon. If it happens it will be the second time NCL has yanked a cruise out from under us due to a redeployment.

There's nothing similar to our cruise currently being offered so I don't expect our fare or amenities package will be protected. I think my choice may be option 3: go ahead and take my $250 FCC I used as a deposit and shove it. I'm done.

Our March 22, 2017 Epic West Med cruise has now disappeared from the radar. I'm not too worried, in fact I'm very interested in what new itineraries NCL is putting on the radar.

It's 5 ships that are affected - Epic, Jade, Spirit, Star ... and ... Sun.

Awaiting for the Aug 4th announcements, and of course an email from NCL ...

Our March 22, 2017 Epic West Med cruise has now disappeared from the radar. I'm not too worried, in fact I'm very interested in what new itineraries NCL is putting on the radar.

It's 5 ships that are affected - Epic, Jade, Spirit, Star ... and ... Sun.

Awaiting for the Aug 4th announcements, and of course an email from NCL ...

They can't be relocating all those ships to Asia so maybe there will be another itinerary leaving from an East Coast port that might interest us. We'll see what happens. It's a long way off.

Last week I booked the Epic for week of nov 20, 2016 (Thanksgiving) and even though it is not showing on the website today, it is still showing under my account as booked and an upcoming itinerary and I have not received an email. Fingers crossed my cruise isn't cancelled!

I'll be very interested to see if these cruises are really cancelled or if this is just another snaffu on the part of NCL IT/software development, or whatever name these bozos have this week, that make changes to the NCL website and have no idea of how to correct the errors when they happen.

Hang on to your socks... you could be in for a rough ride. Hopefully not though.

Good Luck...

My 11 night Epic sailing for dec, 2016 is not showing available on ncl website however i was able to call today and cancel/rebook with new promo. I was on hold forever with my C..... ta who said the ncl rep had to get a supervisor to make the change but the change was made and it does show on my ncl. I would hope its an IT problem. Can't imagine them rebooking/taking a $1500 deposit on a cruise they know is canceled.

Our Feb 2016 cruise on NCL Jewel was cancelled a while back. I've gotten conflicting information from the cruise line as to what the reason was. One rep told me it was for dry dock and another told me that the ship had been chartered. They offered us the chance to move our cruise to another ship but unfortunately we had already locked in our flight from Boston to Los Angeles. We tried to find another NCL cruise so we could keep our UBP and some other perks we were looking forward to but no success. We ended up booking on a different cruise line out of the same port since we were already planning to fly into LAX.

I read the fine print of the contract and found that they reserve the right to cancel cruises. Live and learn I guess. And based on the boards for the other cruise lines, it's not only NCL that does it so no hard feelings I guess. Business is business.

We also had a cruise canceled in the past, and since it was a year or more out, they offered NOTHING but an apology. I sure hope our Star 2016 isn't cancelled, we got the deal of a lifetime, and I know we'll never even get CLOSE to that again.

C'mon 8/4/15 bring me some good news

We also had a cruise canceled in the past, and since it was a year or more out, they offered NOTHING but an apology. I sure hope our Star 2016 isn't cancelled, we got the deal of a lifetime, and I know we'll never even get CLOSE to that again.

C'mon 8/4/15 bring me some good news

We're booked on the Star in October 2016 too, also the best deal ever and impossible to find anything close to that now. It looks as if the Star isn't coming back to Florida next fall so I'm afraid we're all out of luck on this one. We had a 10 day booked and I can't find anything even close, itinerary or price, to what we were doing. I'm afraid the 8/4 announcement is going to be that the Star is going to Asia.

Imagine chartering the entire Getaway.... that's going to one fantastic fan cruise or business meeting!

If you want to find out if a ship is chartered put in your sailing dates, if it is a public event (music, comicon etc) it will be out there in the ether.

I can't imagine them pulling the EPIC from Europe, its popular over there.

• 1 month later...

I got a letter similar to Kkate but I only had one option which was book another cruise and get either a $50 or $100 credit. I had no option to protect the price I paid. I called Norwegian and they gave me another option but nothing during the same date of my original puchase.

The two important options for me was the price and date. I do not understand why customer support seemed to think it was no big deal to change the date. So, after looking online for a different cruise I found the exact same itinerary and date of departure on the Norwegian Jade. I originally booked the Norwegian Star.

I called customer support back and they were not willing to honor my original price quote. So I tried to see if I would go to a lower option, 2 oceanview staterooms, and they still would not offer me any kind of price break. I originally booked a 6 person suite at a really good price and would have to go down to 2 inside staterooms to match the original price which I was not about to do. So I just asked for my refund back.

My wife and I had a fantastic cruise on the Pride of America in 2012. Since this latest cruise was cancelled and no help from customer support to meet my requirements I do not think I will look to Norwegian for another cruise.

I got a letter on August 3 at 12:01am. I opened the letter but thought it was an advertisement for another cruise. Unlike the other letter that is on this thread the mention of cancellation was not until the second paragraph. They basically wanted me to contact them between August 17 - 24 on a particular 800 number. In order for me to get a similar deal I would have had to pay 60% more than the original cruise I booked. The past 3 days Norwegian is still calling trying to get me to book the cruise, even after I told them I would probably never book a cruise with them again.