Has anyone regretted NOT buying the drink package?

So, here is our dilemma. Normally on a couples' trip the husband and I would more than make our money back buying the package. However, this is not a couples' trip. We are bringing our 3 kids. So.. even though they will be in the kids club for part of the cruise I'm thinking we will definitely be drinking less.

However, how much drinking does it take to get our money back? For instance- if we had one drink of the day during the day, two glasses of wine at dinner and maybe a nightcap at dinner would we be ahead or behind? I'm looking for opinions, thanks!

So, here is our dilemma. Normally on a couples' trip the husband and I would more than make our money back buying the package. However, this is not a couples' trip. We are bringing our 3 kids. So.. even though they will be in the kids club for part of the cruise I'm thinking we will definitely be drinking less.

However, how much drinking does it take to get our money back? For instance- if we had one drink of the day during the day, two glasses of wine at dinner and maybe a nightcap at dinner would we be ahead or behind? I'm looking for opinions, thanks!

Drink of the day is 10$, 2 glasses of wine might be 18-20$ depending and on the high side the nightcap might be 12$ so that makes around 42$. Our son was in the kids club all the time by his choice daily, he loved it. After this last cruise I will not hesitate to buy the premium package again, just buy it when you get on the ship as they offered deals on all packages.

lol That would be good parenting right there!

It would nearer $6000 if I had the kids on the ultimate.

$96 per adult x3 x10 days = $2880 Aus.

It's still seems a lot of money...but the prices of drink I see has increased? So it might make sense. I don't want to be worried about a large bill or having to 'careful'....we are on Holiday!

There are a few threads around with prices to help you work out if it makes sense for each adult (you don't all have to have the same package eg if someone only drinks beer or wine the Select package might be a better option). For me with a couple of fresh oj's in the morning, bottled water, cocktails from afternoon onwards it made sense but it wouldn't for everyone :-)

We just got back from Bermuda on the Breakaway and LOVED our drink package. Especially because it was a free perk ! I would not go on another cruise without a package. Preferably as a free perk again. Just fyi, as you probably know, the daily price of the unlimited premium drink package (norwegian) was 59.95 per person per day plus tips. Side note, when speaking to an experienced travel agent on this topic she mentioned to me that the break even point for the drink package is 5 drinks per day. I say thats EASY to do on a cruise with all the frozen drinks during the day! PLUS the fact that the sodas are being charged (FYI, a pepsi was 2.50) Get the package !!

• 11 months later...

The only time, I regretted not buying a drink package was my first cruise.

I invited a good friend hadn't seen in awhile, but was in close contact, along. You know the paying for double occupancy thing. We had agreed we would buy 2 wine packages, and an occasional cocktail here and there. We were ahead until, by day 5 the ten bottles of wine were gone.

When the price of the third package was added on we both could of had a drink package, and my guest would not have stayed cooped up in the room drinking wine.

I started cruising solo after that. I usually do not drink enough to get a package. Unless it's a"perk" I don't get it. After 4-5 days of getting your monies worth, alcohol just appeal as much. I have graduated to longer, cruises4-7 days not long enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, too, never ordered a drink package before but would buy the wine package (5, 7, or 10) on my Royal cruises (wasn't cheap), along with bringing 2 bottles onboard instead. I would save the bottles for dinner but then I would still have a bar tab if I decided to have a drink at the pool/show.

With the discount offered, my next cruise leaving from New Jersey, and with one port at Coco Cay I thought the drink package was well worth it. Since I am a wine "snob", I got the Select package @ $545.16 including gratuity for 2. This time I thought it was worth it. Didn't know until reading the boards weeks later that I am limited to the $8.00 brands. Oh well. :D

I, too, never ordered a drink package before but would buy the wine package (5, 7, or 10) on my Royal cruises (wasn't cheap), along with bringing 2 bottles onboard instead. I would save the bottles for dinner but then I would still have a bar tab if I decided to have a drink at the pool/show.

With the discount offered, my next cruise leaving from New Jersey, and with one port at Coco Cay I thought the drink package was well worth it. Since I am a wine "snob", I got the Select package @ $545.16 including gratuity for 2. This time I thought it was worth it. Didn't know until reading the boards weeks later that I am limited to the $8.00 brands. Oh well. :D

Can you cancel your package? You won't be happy with the selection, I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have only missed having a package when travelling with family and friends who had no access to the diamond lounge. Then it was only a convenience/peer pressure thing. I know we have the vouchers, but when friends are trying different fun drinks it makes you want to buy outside the limited Diamond drink offerings. And DW enjoys joining her sis for specialty coffee in the morning. If its just us, it is more cost effective to go with our 2 bottles of wine, DL drinks and coffees and pay as we go for other drinks.

Love the convenience of a package, but hard to justify the cost since we can get specialty coffees and 3-5 complimentary evening drinks. We may reach the break even point on a day or 2 of the cruise, but over a 7+ night span, it just doesn't pencil for us. I wish RCI would let us 'trade in' our drink vouchers for a nice drink package discount, then I'd be much more likely to buy one.

Edit: Forgot to mention - prior to getting free drinks we definitely took advantage of the packages and missed having them if we didn't -

Edited by Doug S

I can't say that we've ever regretted not getting it as we've always gotten the packages since they were introduced. I do regret them not having them sooner! :p Our last RC cruise before the packages came out was on the Freedom and it was just my husband and I for the first time. Our total bill for the end of the week was $1800 :eek: and the only thing other than the automatic gratuities and one ornament was booze/extra tips. This was the first cruise that we were both established in our careers and weren't saving for major purchases so we were able to really go all out. I tease that we think it was our best cruise ever because we don't even remember it lol!

Since then we've always gotten a package, even on Carnival. While I don't like Carnivals package nearly as much as RC, it's still a wise purchase financially and for peace of mind as others have stated. I love getting a mimosa in the morning or trying a new martini that I may very well hate but I tried it and didn't feel bad for wasting $12 on a drink that I didn't like. Our last bill on the Allure was $232 because our package was purchased ahead and we had a little onboard credit that helped cover the auto gratuities. The rest was tips to bartenders and a few hungover trips to Johnny Rockets ;)

Since my husband drinks only Beer, I buy the package for him and have found that we have saved at least $100 in doing so. He drinks a lot of beer especially if a Sea Day so paying individually can run up the on board charges quickly. We were on a 13 day NZ cruise & I had tried to convince him to buy the package, after 8 days he had a $300 beer tab with 5 more days to go. The daughter & I convinced him the following two cruises he was getting the package. We were sailing the NZ, Transpacific and Hawaii to Van Couver in 2014.

Definitely beneficial for us to take drink packages when on most cruises...Will do so again on Oasis in September since we intend to spend most of the cruise on the ship and in Labadee where it is accepted.

I find myself holding back a bit spending money on drinks at beach bars, etc. off the ship knowing that I have the drink package available onboard.

In December we decided not to get the Windstar/Windsurf drink package since we will be spending most days and some late nights off the ship at various islands. Plus, there isn't much nightlife which will eliminate drinks in dance clubs and other entertainment venues. I think this plan will work for us.

One thing that I always wonder about is why folks call these packages "drink" packages.

These packages include Fresh Squeezed OJ at Breakfast, Specialty coffees all day, bottled water all day, wines by the glass as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

My wife and I are moderate drinkers, but we enjoy the full range of beverages available to us and always more than get our money's worth with both the packages (premium for her, of course).

And we also like to be able to try new things without fear of "wasting" $10 on a drink we might not enjoy.

Buying or not buying the package is a total cruise economics question not a booze consumed question. I know how much I spend on beverages per day. That way I can take a lower priced cruise with out the package rather than a higher prices cruise with the package. All the new rules about non-refundable OBC are making it harder though.

IMHO, those who like wine should avoid Packages. I have never seen any interesting wines on the by the glass list. I am also a little confused at how a person can mooch off others on a ship. You order a drink and present your cruise card. Othwise no drink.

Buying or not buying the package is a total cruise economics question not a booze consumed question. I know how much I spend on beverages per day. That way I can take a lower priced cruise with out the package rather than a higher prices cruise with the package. All the new rules about non-refundable OBC are making it harder though.

IMHO, those who like wine should avoid Packages. I have never seen any interesting wines on the by the glass list. I am also a little confused at how a person can mooch off others on a ship. You order a drink and present your cruise card. Othwise no drink.

Thank you for saying this because I truly only like wine. I do not drink liquor at all. I've been trying to decide if this is truly worth it for me.

Quick question...I just want to know if anyone who has NOT purchased the beverage package (alcohol ones) ever regretted not doing it?

I am seeing TONS of drink package posts and I have been reading them. I know there are a million people who are glad they didn't buy it. I want to hear the ones that regret it NOT buying it when they got that final bill.

I have never done the package before but I bit the bullet for this cruise for many reason (one being a 21 celebration and 4 ship days for us counting Labadee and the fact we don't like Grand Cayman). I have been back and forth on this since we booked a year ago and with the recent drink price increase I figured I should just go for it. We always blow up the bar tab the first 2-3 days anyway so adding it later in the cruise would make it worse.

TIA! We cruise in 4 days, looking forward to it!

I got it once, then on a the next cruise, a shorter 5 day, I "test drove" not having it but enjoying myself by not counting dollars.... one of the advantages of having it.

I cost me double what the package costs for a day to drink for a day.... I purchased the package on the morning of day 2......

To me, not thinking about money and worrying how much I spent everytime i get a drink is the best part.....

Quick question...I just want to know if anyone who has NOT purchased the beverage package (alcohol ones) ever regretted not doing it?

I am seeing TONS of drink package posts and I have been reading them. I know there are a million people who are glad they didn't buy it. I want to hear the ones that regret it NOT buying it when they got that final bill.

I have never done the package before but I bit the bullet for this cruise for many reason (one being a 21 celebration and 4 ship days for us counting Labadee and the fact we don't like Grand Cayman). I have been back and forth on this since we booked a year ago and with the recent drink price increase I figured I should just go for it. We always blow up the bar tab the first 2-3 days anyway so adding it later in the cruise would make it worse.

TIA! We cruise in 4 days, looking forward to it!

The is no point in regretting make a decision and pay your bill whatever way it comes and don't look back :)

Thanks for this thread, I had been toying with the idea of getting one for my Dec. cruise. I got one for my husband-he always gets the soda and water package-so to me-it is not much more to add liquor to his package-he drinks rum and diet coke,only. Now for me, I like to get the high calorie foo-foo drinks or a screwdriver. I gained 5 lbs on the Oasis from doing very limited drinking and eating ,of course, but not as much "pigging out''as I had done on past cruises, since I had been dieting for 8 weeks before the cruise and did not want to gain alot of weight back. So, when I read here that someone had gained 10 pounds in a week from unlimited eating and drinking- I knew that would /could happen to me-so no package for me-too many calories! We usually do an all inclusive port day at a resort- we do have one rerserved for Dec. -so that will be my splurge day of drinking! If I had a high metabolism - I would love to do a drink package.

Im the same way... i like to know what I am spending and not have surprises at the end.

I feel that I come out ahead on the drink packages on day 1-2 maybe even 3... but by day 4-5 i may break even, then on day 6-7 RCCL probably comes out ahead. LOL!

After my last cruise, I feel that the bar service is slower. They still are nice and friendly, it just feels slower and they may not be as anxious to serve you. In years past, I wouldn't see to many drink packages. This last cruise we took, almost everyone at bar had a package.

Im just venturing that tips are lower now with packages... people are less apt to tip an extra buck or two with a package than if they were paying for each drink.

I love good wine, and we did get the package. I have seen some of the wine lists on Harmony, and you're right - nothing too exciting - but we are lucky enough to be spending time in Italy before and after our cruise, so we'll no doubt indulge in some good wines on the land-based part of the vacation. On the ship, I'll find something acceptable, but probably not interesting.

We made great use of the drink package on our New Year's Bahamas cruise. We used a shortened 2-day version on Splendour last year and loved the freedom of choosing any drink we liked. Hubby decided he doesn't want to buy it for our upcoming Bermuda trip, so we will see, once we get our final bill, if that was the correct choice. We always did love the wine packages though; sorry RCL did away with them.

Happy sails.

• 2 weeks later...

I drink wine, so carry on two bottles. DH drinks beer, but not a lot. So we buy beer as needed.

Last cruise was on NCL in June and package was included. We drank way too much and so many frozen frou frou high calorie drinks. So my take on this is: buy what you want, when you want. And for wine drinkers, you get a head start by carrying on your own.