Viking River Cruise:Buyers Beware

victoria dale

I cannot believe all the experts on this thread telling the OP how unreasonable he or she is being.

I was on the Paris and the Hearts of Normandy cruise last month on Viking. When I booked it was advertised as being in Paris very close to the Eiffel Tower. It would be in Paris for a total of three nights (out of 7). Two nights at the beginning and the last night. Well, the Viking Rinda has been stationed in Le Pecq, instead of paris. Only recently did Viking feel it necessary to update their website. Given the choice to cancel without penalty, I would have done the same. I would have been happy to have taken another Viking cruise.

Le Pecq for three days? Viking- Are you serious?

OP- More power to you!

So, even though the OP has not ever bothered to return after spewing their unhappiness, you are saying that Viking sucks? Good to know. Glad I haven't booked Viking.... fascinating how everyone shows up tonight to support the OP...

interesting indeed...

jc

So, even though the OP has not ever bothered to return after spewing their unhappiness, you are saying that Viking sucks? Good to know. Glad I haven't booked Viking.... fascinating how everyone shows up tonight to support the OP...

interesting indeed...

jc

I do not see why the OP hasn't returned is relevant. The OP made a point, a valid one I believe, on Viking's business practices one that he/she and many others on this forum have agreed with. Food, service, accommodation and wine offered are all subjective and personal but bad business practices effect everyone. I am very happy that down here Viking is restricted by our very good Consumer Protection Laws.

I am sorry, but when we went with Vantage they put us up in high class hotels at both ends. This eliminated the long drives from the boat to the city.

The traffic in both cities is a horror!. Some of the lower price lines keep you on the ship rather than paying for hotels at both ends.

See our trip story at

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/russia2013.pdf

I know at one point, Vantage did not do this as I just read a review that said "they improved their tour by adding hotels as opposed to bussing people". There was a lot of talk on this board about some lines trying hotels one year but not the following year. It seemed to switch often when reading the reviews here. I don't think AMA is a lower priced line according to rankings of most polls.

Edited by Coral

Jc-

What is the problem? Did we really land on the moon?

I said I would have been happy to take another Viking cruise. I did do my homework. Lots of it. Viking had deceived all their Rinda passengers this year into letting them believe that they were leaving from Paris and not Le Pecq. Lots of folks didn't care. Others do.

When I called Viking, they just wanted to sell me a transfer from the airport. The staff on the ship were wonderful. The corporate staff were not.

Jc-

What is the problem? Did we really land on the moon?

I said I would have been happy to take another Viking cruise. I did do my homework. Lots of it. Viking had deceived all their Rinda passengers this year into letting them believe that they were leaving from Paris and not Le Pecq. Lots of folks didn't care. Others do.

When I called Viking, they just wanted to sell me a transfer from the airport. The staff on the ship were wonderful. The corporate staff were not.

No problem, and yes, I watched Neil Armstrong with fascination. Highlight of my first 10 years on this planet. Couldn't believe when we just quit going.:D

I think I agree in spirit that Viking is not doing a very good job of communication and they may even be defrauding their customers. Happy?

That said, I still say, if you book the cruise and then read here or find after the fact that what they are doing is happening, that some responsibility falls on the customer. It is really easy to come here and other places on the web and find out the facts of the cruise. Personally, I don't get the point of taking a river cruise to spend 3 days in Paris, while on the ship. That is what hotels are for. I am taking a river cruise in November 8 days every day in a new place. Then at the end of the cruise, I will spend 6 days in France, 3 in Paris and Versailles. I may take a cruise on the river for an hour or two, or not, but I surely wouldn't book a cruise to sit in the river in or near Paris.

That is just me. YMMV and JMHO

jc

A year ago, I was under the impression that Viking was the Carnival or NCL of river cruising, a little cheaper but with a giant footprint both on the airwaves and on the waters. This was reinforced by the sheer numbers sitting at the dock in Budapest, and the rarity of the other companies ships.

I had a nagging feeling about them though, and I decided that AMA or Avalon and some others were a better fit for me. So, I booked Avalon. Since then I have spent time most weeks here and other places reading, and I now know things like their requiring full payment over a year in advance, and I KNOW that I will never book them except at a great discount at the last moment.

I feel your and the OPs pain. That said drive-by posters are the bane of reasonable discussion. Hence, my negative feelings about this.

New moon, maybe my feelings will change.:cool::D

jc

A year ago, I was under the impression that Viking was the Carnival or NCL of river cruising, a little cheaper but with a giant footprint both on the airwaves and on the waters. This was reinforced by the sheer numbers sitting at the dock in Budapest, and the rarity of the other companies ships.

I had a nagging feeling about them though, and I decided that AMA or Avalon and some others were a better fit for me. So, I booked Avalon. Since then I have spent time most weeks here and other places reading, and I now know things like their requiring full payment over a year in advance, and I KNOW that I will never book them except at a great discount at the last moment.

I feel your and the OPs pain. That said drive-by posters are the bane of reasonable discussion. Hence, my negative feelings about this.

New moon, maybe my feelings will change.:cool::D

jc

Viking is not the lowest priced river cruise line.

We have found Vantage to always be cheaper and it provides five star hotel and excellent cruises.

Also, I see that Grand Circle is cheaper.

JC-

Not that it might matter- But I am almost in total agreement with your last few posts.

But I have to say that even in a free mkt society the customer must accept what the river cruise say in their itinerary as being the truth. If they say in dock in xxx, then you must dock in xxx unless the cruise can provide a reasonable explaination.

To tell the Rinda client that the French authorities are slow in approving docking in Paris, does not stand up to the reasonable test.

JC-

Not that it might matter- But I am almost in total agreement with your last few posts.

But I have to say that even in a free mkt society the customer must accept what the river cruise say in their itinerary as being the truth. If they say in dock in xxx, then you must dock in xxx unless the cruise can provide a reasonable explaination.

To tell the Rinda client that the French authorities are slow in approving docking in Paris, does not stand up to the reasonable test.

Now, we have entered the marketing world. I work for a company, and I get to approve all of the advertising.... in addition to running the company. We have a marketing company. I hate marketing. I am loathe to spend money on it, we spend a lot of money on it. So, when things get published, and trust me Viking publishes a lot, and they put a lot on their web page. Sometimes, contracts between us and others are not finalized, but marketing doesn't happen over night. So, things get printed web sites say things, that doesn't mean, when they are not accurate that fraud is occurring. It may be... but it is not necessarily occurring.

Do you understand?

We can think we are in agreement with the port authority in Paris, but until there is an agreement, our hoped for docking berth may or may not be a reality.

Don't get me wrong. I think that for you and for the OP it sucks. Fraud is one thing and misinformation or simply incorrect information is something else.

I need to research what the itineraries for the Rinda were, but they sound like itineraries to avoid.:D

I think cruises should be for getting to the places that we would miss if we were on a grand holiday to take in the big capitals and cities. Those are best explored on foot not on the river, the river is just another road in Paris. To a small town in southern france on the Rhone, the river is why the town exists. The river is the basis for the town. That is when a river cruise is a good trip. If you want to see London, the Thames is not the best view. To see Paris the Seine is not the best view. Although Budapest is perfectly highlighted by the Danube, there is a ton of stuff not on the river. You just have to explore it on foot.

jc

I'm pretty sure Viking had intended the Rinda to dock with their other boats and the Port Authority didn't approve as expected.....of course the advertising and brochures had been printed long before all the drama happened.

I'm pretty sure Viking had intended the Rinda to dock with their other boats and the Port Authority didn't approve as expected.....of course the advertising and brochures had been printed long before all the drama happened.

Right, so things didn't go as Viking expected. Why should the OP be out $200 because Viking jumped the gun. :confused: The OP justs wants their $200 back for a cruise that's more than a year away. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It's not as if the OP was suing Viking for an unreasonable windfall. They just want to be made whole.

I am only speaking for myself and not the OP. The Op can speak for themself.

I did not accuse Viking of fraud. Probably just ignorance and a customer service staff that is just polite but stupid.

I had spoken to someone who took my cruise in March. In March they left from Le Pecq.

When I contacted Viking back in May/June about this change, they acted like I was bringing something new to their attention. And again, their remedy was to sell me a transfer from the airport to Le Pecq.

I like river cruises. It brings me to very small towns with rich histories that do not look like New York! I didn't take this cruise because it included Paris for two days. Paris is very easy to do on your own. We stayed extra days to see Versailles all day instead of taking an optional excusion that included 3 hours on site. Viking seems to believe that a river cruise can include and conclude with a couple of days with the boat not moving. I prefer a new docking location every day.

Paris and the Heart of Normandy is not for you if you don't want to stay 3 out of 7 days in Le Pecq. You do have to give up Monet's gardens and the American cemetry in Normandy.

However, they are both doable as a day trip from Paris.

Isn't a way around this is to carefully look at which ship is doing the trip? If it's a longship, it'll dock in Le Pecq. But aren't the older non-longships still docking at La Grenelle (sp), as before? At least I believe they were in the spring.

But earlier this year when this whole issue became known you would not have known this unless you knew exactly what you were searching for on the Viking website. I wonder if the Longboats are somehow to long or the draft to deep for the downtown docking??

It could be one of those issues or just too many ships at that location. This is the first year the Rinda is doing the Paris/Normandy cruise (the other two ships have been doing it all along). Per Viking, they are trying to work it out with the Paris Port Authority, but so far, no dice to get dockage at the Paris location. Too bad for those like Mikey who had counted on it. I would have been disappointed as well, but we've run into 'blips' along the way on other cruises, both river and oceans, and we just go with the flow. If it's serious enough to address with the cruise line, I do that, or perhaps don't sail that cruise line again. There are plenty of others to choose from. ;)

Becki

To Becki and everyone within the sound of my typing fingers-

Please don't go with the flow. That's the problem with so many of us. We take some sort of vacation...the vendor screws with what is promised. And a majority of us will just accept it and perhaps say, never again with this vendor. I had a very nice cruise on the Rinda. But I never expected to not be docked in Paris. I have said that I would not sail with Viking again but then I went ahead and bought future cruise certificates! I wasn't going to penalize myself because the "suits" in California are.....you know. I have written and called Viking to let them know my displeasure.

For 2016, Viking has a "note" on their website that says the boats are docked in a surburb of Paris. Sounds like a fuller disclosure. All three boats in 2016 will be longboats.

I don't think it's complete disclosure for 2016 because the Rinda was never docked in Conflans on day 7 (2015) but their website said you do for 2016.......Buyer beware!

Mikey, taking future cruises with Viking after you feel they lied to you seems kind of the opposite of the advice you just gave. I would think that not sailing with them and not giving them your money would be more appropriate?:confused:

How is it you are penalizing yourself, except by wasting your money of future cruise certificates? There are other ships sailing the same waterways. And some of them may offer a better product. So, to me you are penalizing yourself and rewarding the suits in California?:confused:

Is Viking headquartered in California?

jc

Of course, one would not have known this in hindsight, but my original comment was intended for future bookings.

But earlier this year when this whole issue became known you would not have known this unless you knew exactly what you were searching for on the Viking website. I wonder if the Longboats are somehow to long or the draft to deep for the downtown docking??

Mikey,

When I say I " go with the flow", I mean I don't let every issue that comes up nag at me until I can't enjoy my vacation. However, if it warrants, I will address the issue with customer service or the concierge. If need be, I go up the chain of management when I get home. And lastly, I may choose not to sail that line again. But, during my vacation, I will do my best to "go with the flow", because the money's been spent, I' m already there; I am going to have a good time!

Becki

Mikey,

When I say I " go with the flow", I mean I don't let every issue that comes up nag at me until I can't enjoy my vacation. However, if it warrants, I will address the issue with customer service or the concierge. If need be, I go up the chain of management when I get home. And lastly, I may choose not to sail that line again. But, during my vacation, I will do my best to "go with the flow", because the money's been spent, I' m already there; I am going to have a good time!

Becki

Agree completely. Most of a decade ago, on a RCI transatlantic. I booked a wine and dine package. Show up for dinner, I said, we have a Platinum Wine and dine package for 13 nights, my waiter, looked at me like I was crazy. (i had prepaid it) I was I know I have a Wine and dine package, the waiter goes away, and the head waiter comes by... tells me I do not have a wine and dine. I say no problem, please give me one, and I give them my card. I always have a copy of all my paperwork, in those days I actually had all my receipts, today I have a copy in my Kindle app on my Ipad. So, the next morning I go to the purser, they basically say tough poop, and I have a choice, I can be really pissed and unhappy, or I can say Ces Le Vie... I choose the latter.

The cruise ends we fly home, I contact customer service, 3 weeks later I have a credit on my credit card.

One choice for me would have been to have a horrible trip. The one I took we had a great trip.

life is not simple, you have choices. My advice choose to always make your's the best possible. Anger and resentment are rarely ingredients for happiness.

jc

Right, so things didn't go as Viking expected. Why should the OP be out $200 because Viking jumped the gun. :confused: The OP justs wants their $200 back for a cruise that's more than a year away. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It's not as if the OP was suing Viking for an unreasonable windfall. They just want to be made whole.

^ This!

As unintentional as it may be, Viking misrepresented the cruise. In my mind that voids their cancellation policy. Are we to believe in the next 14 months they will be unable to fill that cabin? Even with their rock bottom 2 for 1 fares? ;)

It is interesting that so many people are willing to give the OP's $200 to a cruise company for the company's error. I assume they are as giving with their own money when a company makes a mistake that costs them. :rolleyes: