Panama Canal

Baded

Ever since we started cruising back in 2006, my wife and I have been planning a cruise through the canal. My wife, an Army brat, lived in the Canal Zone during her teenage years and a chance to return to see the area again is high on her list of cruise wants.

We have had to wait and had hoped to be able to do the Panama cruise in the winter/spring of 2016 for her 50th B-day. Royal is our cruise line of choice and has been for years, in fact we just reached Diamond level this month. Sadly, Royal has chosen not to sail the canal for now. We asked our CD 2 weeks ago on Jewel why no canal cruises after the fall re-positionings. He stated it was due to the construction of the new canal, which really made no sense as other lines continue to schedule complete transits. So now, we are looking at Celebrity which still has transits scheduled. And since Celebrity is Royal's sister line, our status will carry over.

Pete

Edited by OKC Cruisers

Ever since we started cruising back in 2006, my wife and I have been planning a cruise through the canal. My wife, an Army brat, lived in the Canal Zone during her teenage years and a chance to return to see the area again is high on her list of cruise wants.

We have had to wait and had hoped to be able to do the Panama cruise in the winter/spring of 2016 for her 50th B-day. Royal is our cruise line of choice and has been for years, in fact we just reached Diamond level this month. Sadly, Royal has chosen not to sail the canal for now. We asked our CD 2 weeks ago on Jewel why no canal cruises after the fall re-positionings. He stated it was due to the construction of the new canal, which really made no sense as other lines continue to schedule complete transits. So now, we are looking at Celebrity which still has transits scheduled. And since Celebrity is Royal's sister line, our status will carry over.

Pete

Do look at Celebrity, but look quick... while they still have Canal transits this Canal "season", they have a lot fewer this season than previous years. Celebrity is a good choice because they offer a full day stop at Colon, either prior or after the transit.

I'm sure your DW will really love to see the old haunts on the former military bases and the Canal area, some wow and some not so wow. If she was on the Pacific side Balboa High looks pretty much the same, while it is a maritime college now, you are permitted in the building... neat!

The answer you got from the CD was nothing but Blue Sky... just looking for something that sounded "intelligent."

We asked our CD 2 weeks ago on Jewel why no canal cruises after the fall re-positionings. He stated it was due to the construction of the new canal, which really made no sense as other lines continue to schedule complete transits.

Pete

It makes sense if Royal is planning to send larger ships through the canal which depend on the new construction. That new construction was supposed to be complete by 2016 but it keeps slipping. My theory is Royal committed all the smaller ships to other itineraries thinking the canal would be ready for larger ships.

Also keep in mind, besides the width of the locks in regards to ships transiting the canal. There is a height limitation near the Pacific side due to a bridge. While the new locks will take care of the width limitation for cargo ships and cruise ships. The bridge will still limit the cruise ships that have the ability to transit the canal. Cargo ships are not as tall, so the bridge is not as a big concern.

Also keep in mind, besides the width of the locks in regards to ships transiting the canal. There is a height limitation near the Pacific side due to a bridge. While the new locks will take care of the width limitation for cargo ships and cruise ships. The bridge will still limit the cruise ships that have the ability to transit the canal. Cargo ships are not as tall, so the bridge is not as a big concern.

Hi gatour, check out this excellent explanation by Bill on this thread re Bridge of Americas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47335693&highlight=radar#post47335693

Do look at Celebrity, but look quick... while they still have Canal transits this Canal "season", they have a lot fewer this season than previous years. Celebrity is a good choice because they offer a full day stop at Colon, either prior or after the transit.

I'm sure your DW will really love to see the old haunts on the former military bases and the Canal area, some wow and some not so wow. If she was on the Pacific side Balboa High looks pretty much the same, while it is a maritime college now, you are permitted in the building... neat!

The answer you got from the CD was nothing but Blue Sky... just looking for something that sounded "intelligent."

Yes, the Colon stop was a major factor, which Celebrity offers on the westbound cruise. DW definitely wants to be able to go ashore and see some of her old haunts...and yep, you're right, she was on the "Pacific" side and attended school in the Balboa area. She has found a number of fellow "Zonians" on a FB group. We have done a Celebrity cruise before and enjoyed it and the prices are not that much more than a similar cruise with Royal...at least not the one we are looking at.

I knew that the CD on Jewel was just giving me a "political" answer. Right now, IMHO, Royal is just putting all it's efforts into maximizes their profit ratio, which is what businesses do. Canal transits are expensive...even more so for the larger ships. Not sure if they can, or will sail Voyager or Freedom class ships through the new canal unless it's for a necessary repositioning...the profit ratio just might not be there.

RCCL can continue to sail the canal with it's Celebrity ships, which tend to draw an older crowd, those who often have more time and money to spend on longer cruises. They can then use the Royal line for the more family oriented, shorter cruises...and of course, continue their effort to bolster their presence in the Asian market...although, with the recent events in the Chinese economy...

Pete

Edited by OKC Cruisers

We did back-to-back Panama Canal cruises maybe 2 years ago, it was a highlight since we lived in the Canal Zone from 1975-1980 when they gave it back. If RCI isn't going, go on whoever has it. It was good for us to do b-b because the return cruise was actually cheaper than flying back from LAX to Charlotte, NC!