Cruise to Alaska - A Pearl Review (8/9 - 8/16)

chasinraynbowz

Excellent photos, Pam! What was the name of the Princess ship you photographed?

In Sept. 2009 we decided to do a B2B Alaska cruise from Vancouver so we could 1 - spend more time on the ship and 2 - fly roundtrip from Vancouver instead of returning from Alaska. Turned out to be a great idea because the weather each week was different in each port. The first cruise the weather in Glacier Bay was rainy and misty. Then the Capt. had to turn around midway that day to "out run" a fierce storm in the Gulf of Alaska. It was crazy on the seas there even though we left early to miss part of it. So a couple days later on the second leg of the cruise, we entered Glacier Bay on a beautiful, warm and sunny day! The photos I took were outstanding that day. We also had no rain in Skagway one trip and very rainy the next. The whole 14 days went back and forth like that. I recommend B2B Alaska cruises to everyone!:D

Excellent photos, Pam! What was the name of the Princess ship you photographed?

In Sept. 2009 we decided to do a B2B Alaska cruise from Vancouver so we could 1 - spend more time on the ship and 2 - fly roundtrip from Vancouver instead of returning from Alaska. Turned out to be a great idea because the weather each week was different in each port. The first cruise the weather in Glacier Bay was rainy and misty. Then the Capt. had to turn around midway that day to "out run" a fierce storm in the Gulf of Alaska. It was crazy on the seas there even though we left early to miss part of it. So a couple days later on the second leg of the cruise, we entered Glacier Bay on a beautiful, warm and sunny day! The photos I took were outstanding that day. We also had no rain in Skagway one trip and very rainy the next. The whole 14 days went back and forth like that. I recommend B2B Alaska cruises to everyone!:D

Thanks Sandi!! We had such good weather as you can tell!! That was the Star Princess, although the Ruby was in port with us in Victoria.

Your photos of Glacier Bay are spectacular, Pam.

You were fortunate to have such beautiful blue skies.

This one was my favourite -

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5748/20775655186_5722027207_b.jpg

It is the last photo on No.96.

Of course, my favourite could change next time I look.

Makes me want to return to Alaska to see Glacier Bay.

Edited by MMDown Under

Your photos of Glacier Bay are spectacular, Pam.

You were fortunate to have such beautiful blue skies.

This one was my favourite -

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5748/20775655186_5722027207_b.jpg

It is the last photo on No.96.

Of course, my favourite could change next time I look.

Makes me want to return to Alaska to see Glacier Bay.

Thanks so much Marion!! I have enjoyed reliving our cruise as I go thru them! That photo is one of my favorites also, but I have several others also!!

Do you think you got better pictures from your balcony or on deck where the rangers were? Thanks and I love your pictures and comments.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Kathy, the Rangers weren't out on deck. They were up in the Spinnaker Lounge. They did come out on deck after their talk was over, though. You could hear them thru your TV in your cabin but not out on the bow of the ship.

I think I got just as good of pictures from my balcony as I did from out on deck. The Capt turned the shipped completely around about 4 times so we were able to get several good views of the glacier and its surroundings.

Thank you so much for your review. Your pics. are fantastic. We will be sailing Sept 13th. YEA!!!!!

You are so welcome!! You will thoroughly enjoy the ship and the staff as well as the beautiful scenery!! I should finish with my full review in a day or two.

I think the best word to describe it is WOW! So stunning! I do want to do a Glacier Bay itinerary. We didn't with the Jewel and were still very happy, but if/when we go back it will be to Glacier Bay for sure.

Thanks Jen! It was wow!! I can't wait to see your pictures!!!

Friday, August 14 - Ketchikan, Alaska

Today we had the Saxman Village and Lumberjack excursion. We wanted to see the Totem Poles. I can honestly say we were disappointed. The show was good, but there were very few totem poles. I guess I expected more, I don't know. We knew that we didn't want to sit thru the Lumberjack show so when he dropped us off at the show, we just headed towards the docks so shop and get something to drink.

Here are my pictures from that day:

20670504530_8cb8332dbe_b.jpg

20832291266_1958e24746_b.jpg

20670507170_0fcf6cf730_b.jpg

20848960392_625d5d97a2_b.jpg

20235956864_95243d14d0_b.jpg

20848959392_8db25fae07_b.jpg

20671816619_8e56ae7661_b.jpg

20858566575_79f8d67642_b.jpg

After getting back to the ship and getting to our cabin, there was an invite from Leah to meet with the officers of the ship to see how we liked the cruise, the ship, the staff, etc. This was to be held in Le Bistro the next day around noon.

After sailaway, Greg and I headed down to the Indigo dining room and met up with Karen and Dennis for dinner. We had a great time!! We talked and laughed our way thru dinner and dessert. After our waiter had cleared our table, he offered us coffee, but we said no. He said no hurry, take your time and walked away. A few minutes later (we lost track of time, so I really dont know how long it was) he showed back up with 2 chocolate desserts!! He brought 4 spoons and explained that most people were asleep during the "Chocolate Buffet" so they decided to incorporate it with dinner. He felt we needed more chocolate.. hahaha. The dessert was wonderful and after we finished, he cleaned our table once again and told us... "no hurry, take your time. If you are still here in 4 minutes, you will get another dessert".... hahahaha!! We left!!!

We agreed to meet up Karen and Dennis the next day for Victoria and headed back to our cabin for the night.

Saturday, August 15 - Sea Day/Victoria, BC

After waking, having coffee on our balcony and breakfast, we decided we had better start packing. Our flight the next morning was at 1145, so we wanted to do self assist and walk off as soon as we cleared customs. I sure didn't want to miss our flight!!

Dummy me started filling out the customs forms and going thru all the stuff I got in Alaska and adding them to the list. Then it hit me.... Alaska is part of the USA, I don't need to claim my purchases.. ha!!! We would be Victoria tonight, I can just claim what I buy there!! Easiest customs form I ever filled out!!!

Soon it was time for our meeting with the officers of the ship. This is where NCL shines!! They met with us and listened to our praises and our suggestions and even some problems. They took notes and promised to fix things that needed to be fixed (very few I might add) and thanked us for our praises. It was nice that they took time from their busy schedules to talk to us. This was only my second NCL cruise, but I can tell you it won't be my last!!

Next, I will post my pictures of Victoria and give you my final thoughts on this wonderful cruise!!!

They really did treat you well😽 we have such wonderful memories of our trip to Alaska & your pictures are so wonderful.

Yes Margie, they treated us wonderfully!!! I really got spoiled this cruise. We got home and I fussed at Greg when my coffee wasn't delivered to my room in the mornings... LOL!!! JK!!!

I am glad you are enjoying my pictures!! Thanks so much!!!

Saturday, August 15 - Sea Day/Victoria, BC

After waking, having coffee on our balcony and breakfast, we decided we had better start packing. Our flight the next morning was at 1145, so we wanted to do self assist and walk off as soon as we cleared customs. I sure didn't want to miss our flight!!

Dummy me started filling out the customs forms and going thru all the stuff I got in Alaska and adding them to the list. Then it hit me.... Alaska is part of the USA, I don't need to claim my purchases.. ha!!! We would be Victoria tonight, I can just claim what I buy there!! Easiest customs form I ever filled out!!!

Soon it was time for our meeting with the officers of the ship. This is where NCL shines!! They met with us and listened to our praises and our suggestions and even some problems. They took notes and promised to fix things that needed to be fixed (very few I might add) and thanked us for our praises. It was nice that they took time from their busy schedules to talk to us. This was only my second NCL cruise, but I can tell you it won't be my last!!

Next, I will post my pictures of Victoria and give you my final thoughts on this wonderful cruise!!!

Chasinraynbowz:

You are fueling my excitement for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Pearl! I put in my pillow preference with the concierge supervisor today and discussed our arrival time.

Did you by any chance save all of the Freestyle Dailies? If so, would you be able to scan them as PDFS and attach them to your review?

All of this info is just so great. We still have not decided on an excursion for Ketchikan so the totems info is so helpful since that is something we really wanna see. Also if there were any real problems you experienced that would be helpful as well so I can be prepared for anything. I am such a planner and I really want this trip to go smoothly for many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chasinraynbowz:

You are fueling my excitement for our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Pearl! I put in my pillow preference with the concierge supervisor today and discussed our arrival time.

Did you by any chance save all of the Freestyle Dailies? If so, would you be able to scan them as PDFS and attach them to your review?

Let me make sure I still have them all. I don't really have time to scan them at work, but I could send them to you if you want. It would be noo problem for me.

All of this info is just so great. We still have not decided on an excursion for Ketchikan so the totems info is so helpful since that is something we really wanna see. Also if there were any real problems you experienced that would be helpful as well so I can be prepared for anything. I am such a planner and I really want this trip to go smoothly for many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We really didn't have any problems at all. I am a planner also, and from the time we boarded until the time we got to the airport to go home most everything went according to plan!! My friends did the Crab Fisherman tour (Deadliest Catch) and had an absolute ball! They said that really made their trip!! I dont watch much TV, so I haven't really seen the show. They had. If you like the show, you may want to do that excursion.

I am so glad this is helping you and that you are enjoying my review!!!

Let me make sure I still have them all. I don't really have time to scan them at work, but I could send them to you if you want. It would be noo problem for me.

Oh, you don't have to send them! (Though it's a gracious offer.) I have a set someone posted from a sailing in June, but was curious to see if things vary much. Thank you!