Cruise to Alaska - A Pearl Review (8/9 - 8/16)

chasinraynbowz

Sorry Pam, leave it to me to show up late for the party! ;) My sister is currently on "chemo vacation" so she and my B-I-L spent several days with us and I did my best to do nothing but enjoy her company.

As always your pictures are wonderful. This is the same route that the Princess Star made in 2003. That's the trip I took Mom on (gala photo) so your pictures are really bringing back warm memories.

Keep posting please.

Hugs, Barb

Oh, you don't have to send them! (Though it's a gracious offer.) I have a set someone posted from a sailing in June, but was curious to see if things vary much. Thank you!

It's no problem if you want them. If there is something in particular you are curious about, ask away. I will pull out all my paperwork and make sure I have all the dailies still. :D

Sorry Pam, leave it to me to show up late for the party! ;) My sister is currently on "chemo vacation" so she and my B-I-L spent several days with us and I did my best to do nothing but enjoy her company.

As always your pictures are wonderful. This is the same route that the Princess Star made in 2003. That's the trip I took Mom on (gala photo) so your pictures are really bringing back warm memories.

Keep posting please.

Hugs, Barb

I hope your sister is doing good!! I am happy to hear that you got to spend time with her and enjoy her!!

Thanks about the pictures and I am glad they are bringing back good memories!! We really enjoyed the cruise and I am loving going back and reliving it as I go thru all the pictures!!

Hugs Barb!!

I hope your sister is doing good!! I am happy to hear that you got to spend time with her and enjoy her!!

Thanks about the pictures and I am glad they are bringing back good memories!! We really enjoyed the cruise and I am loving going back and reliving it as I go thru all the pictures!!

Hugs Barb!!

Super job, Pam! It looks like the weather was perfect in Ketchikan. Unbelievable!:p

Super job, Pam! It looks like the weather was perfect in Ketchikan. Unbelievable!:p

Other than one or two days, our weather was unbelievable! We left temps of over 100 degrees here in Memphis to 50-60 and even low 70 degrees in Alaska. You know I was loving it... lol!!!

I have pictures to post from Victoria which I am working on right now!! I hope to get them posted soon.

As soon as we docked in Victoria and were cleared, Greg and I headed off the ship and met up with Karen and Dennis on the dock. We all grabbed a cab and headed to Fishermans Wharf for dinner. We wanted crab, but we noticed the only restaurant that had a line was Barb's, so thats where we ate. Barb's is known for their fish and chips. I ordered that and Greg ordered shrimp and we shared! Karen and Denny did the same. Dinner was GREAT!!!

After dinner we walked around the wharf looking at the different homes (I want to move there.... lol) and shopped. BE PREPARED!! They will take American dollars, but won't give change in American, only Canadian. Although, if you shop at the port before getting back on the ship, they will give you American back. I used what small bills I had and then used my credit card. So, if you are using cash... take smaller bills, not $20's. We decided to take a water taxi to the downtown area and walked around there a bit when we decided to take a horse and buggy tour. We split the cost, about $80 each and off we went! What fun we had!!!

A funny story - During the ride, we were passing some homes and in one of the homes 2 couples, probably in their early 60s were having dinner. Their table was right near the window and as we passed, they all waved. As we got a little further along, still within sight though, one of the men made a very rude hand gesture... lol. I guess he didn't like the intrusion!

Here are my pictures from that night.

20699198408_202ae75633_b.jpg

20894414161_f147990fd4_b.jpg

20264576704_f1ceb2b664_b.jpg

20877499132_29398dcb68_b.jpg

20699197448_b3ddf9536f_b.jpg

20700441539_99fde65a97_b.jpg

20887176025_d7cae943bf_b.jpg

20860903306_9ca55ef8f6_b.jpg

See the look he is giving me? I told him I was taking his picture and that he would become world famous.... as I was going to put his picture in my travel review... lol. He just laughed and didn't believe me. So, if you see him... ask for his autograph!!! haha!!! JK!

20887177525_1192aee7be_b.jpg

This is a water park for kids. Our driver said that the bucket spews water out in all different directions!

20266157023_de325b83df_b.jpg

It was time to call it a night. We said our goodbyes to our new friends, exchanged phone numbers and promised to keep in touch and cruise together again (We met thru our roll call. Isn't Cruise Critic wonderful???)

After a quick snack, we headed back to our cabin to finish packing and get showers in. It was going to be an early morning!!

Sunday, August 16 - Seattle, WA and home

Our wake up call came around 6am and our room service arrived around 630am. NOTE: I love that NCL delivers continental breakfast to your cabin on debarkation morning. Since Greg and I were doing self assist, we really didn't have time to go to the buffet for the dining room for a full breakfast.

We left our cabin around 715 and headed down to the theater to meet with Leah for priority disembarking as soon as we cleared customs. While I loved the VIP status all week, I was truly grateful for it this day. The line for the other passengers doing self assist was huge!! We had about 10 in our line, so once we cleared customs, we were off and running and were the 3rd people off the ship. We had an 1145am flight and after reading all the negative nellie reports here on CC, I was worried we might miss our flight! I needn't have worried! :D

As soon as we left the ship, I had our passports and customs declaration in my hand. The customs agent took my form and said welcome back. Didn't even look at our passports.

We headed towards the cabs and a limo driver offered to take us to the airport for $40. I asked him again, $40?? And he said yes, so we went with him. He had a large SUV and once in the vehicle and headed towards the airport he said that normally he gets $65 for an airport run :eek:. I told him it must be my lucky day then since my ride was only $40!!

I timed him. We left the port at 737am. We pulled up to our terminal at 8am. It took us 23 minutes to get to the airport. I paid him his $40 plus a tip for getting us there so quick and in one piece (trust me, we were a bit worried about that... lol). We walked into the American terminal, checked our luggage, and then we got thru security in great time and headed to our gate at the VERY end of the terminal.

We grabbed a quick breakfast at the Chili's near our gate (don't get the breakfast taco's unless you like jalapeno's... lol) and then back to our gate to wait for our flight. I got a message from Karen that their flight wasn't till 1pm, so they were headed down to see us off (how fun was that!!!).

We had a great time visiting and soon it was time to board our plane. After another set of hugs and goodbyes, we were soon saying goodbye to Seattle.

Before long, I got this magnificent view....

20887176965_17c56b60cb_b.jpg

20266156813_510deae912_b.jpg

Edited by chasinraynbowz

That is the end of my review. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed reliving it!! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I know my hubby will read this and remind me of something I forgot, so I may come back and add a footnote or two.

If you haven't cruised Alaska, but are thinking about it.... book it!! Go!!! It as worth every minute and every penny!!!

Thanks so much for following along!!!

:D

Edited by chasinraynbowz

That is the end of my review. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed reliving it!! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I know my hubby will read this and remind me of something I forgot, so I may come back and add a footnote or two.

If you haven't cruised Alaska, but are thinking about it.... book it!! Go!!! It as worth every minute and every penny!!!

THANK YOU for the awesome review and photos. It's been an excellent way for me to plan our trip on the Pearl in a couple of weeks. Now that you've wrapped it up, I'm going to go back through all your posts to see if I've got questions!

THANK YOU for the awesome review and photos. It's been an excellent way for me to plan our trip on the Pearl in a couple of weeks. Now that you've wrapped it up, I'm going to go back through all your posts to see if I've got questions!

You are so welcome!!! Hopefully I have helped with your planning!! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. And if not...

Bon Voyage!!!!

OK, I'm ready with my questions. Sorry if they've been asked earlier and I missed the answers.

1. At your Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle, did your group get an invite for a tour of the bridge?
  2. How crowded was the Latitudes party?
  3. What did you think of the Skagway White Pass train ride? (I understand there is a mini bus tour that goes the same route and it stops for scenic photos and if there is wildlife, so I was weighing my choices.)
  4. We have an aft balcony suite, should I bother trying to get up on the bow to take photos in Glacier Bay or are we just as good on our own balcony?
  5. How far from where the ship docks is Saxman Native Village in Ketchikan? If we didn't want an excursion, could we walk? What does the admission cost?
  6. In Victoria, I was interested in the Royal BC Museum, it looks like it is a block past the Empress. Is that within walking distance from where the ship docks?
  7. Finally, on Sunday for disembarkation, how late can you push it before you go off with the Concierge? I will be having a town car pick us up a whatever time I choose, so I'm thinking that it would be nice to hang out on the ship as long as we can before having to get off. Or do they kick you out of your room?

Edited by mbuenzli

Pam thanks again for another great review & pictures of course! I will definitely check into an NCL cruise based on how nice they treated you. Who knows maybe someday I will get to be a VIP like you.

WOW...fantastic review!! A few questions for you if you don't mind. Does the Pearl dock in an industrial area or is it somewhat scenic? Thinking of having our dinner on our AFT balcony that night but only if it's scenic. What one thing do you wish you had brought with you? Again, fantastic review...

What did you think of the Skagway White Pass train ride? (I understand there is a mini bus tour that goes the same route and it stops for scenic photos and if there is wildlife, so I was weighing my choices.)

As you weigh, keep in mind that there are "half & half" options as well--we took the train up and a mini bus met us to bring us back, with several stops for photos--but the reverse exists as well! I'm kind of glad we did it that way, as I think the train round trip would have been kind of repetitive.

Edited by quercus alba

OK, I'm ready with my questions. Sorry if they've been asked earlier and I missed the answers.

1. At your Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle, did your group get an invite for a tour of the bridge? We weren't, but the group before us was.
  2. How crowded was the Latitudes party? Not too crowded at all.
  3. What did you think of the Skagway White Pass train ride? (I understand there is a mini bus tour that goes the same route and it stops for scenic photos and if there is wildlife, so I was weighing my choices.) It was WORTH it!! It was a full bus, not mini bus that took us up to Carcross and then we took the train back down. I would do it again.
  4. We have an aft balcony suite, should I bother trying to get up on the bow to take photos in Glacier Bay or are we just as good on our own balcony? You can do just as good on your own balcony. I would not waste the time at the bow since you can't hear the Ranger's speaking up there, but you can from your cabin.
  5. How far from where the ship docks is Saxman Native Village in Ketchikan? If we didn't want an excursion, could we walk? What does the admission cost? It's a couple of miles and I think the cost was $5 to get in.
  6. In Victoria, I was interested in the Royal BC Museum, it looks like it is a block past the Empress. Is that within walking distance from where the ship docks? No, its too far to walk in my opinion. A cab ride is $10.
  7. Finally, on Sunday for disembarkation, how late can you push it before you go off with the Concierge? I will be having a town car pick us up a whatever time I choose, so I'm thinking that it would be nice to hang out on the ship as long as we can before having to get off. Or do they kick you out of your room? They started disembarking at 730. I suspect they are done by 830 or 9. You won't be able to hang out for too long.

See my answers in red. Don't apologize. I am happy to answer any and all questions that I can!! :D

Pam thanks again for another great review & pictures of course! I will definitely check into an NCL cruise based on how nice they treated you. Who knows maybe someday I will get to be a VIP like you.

Margie,

I was surprised to get the VIP status, but very happy I got it!!!

Thanks so much, I am glad you enjoyed it!!!

Edited by chasinraynbowz

Loved your review! I'll be the September 6th sail and this just made me more excited. I didn't think it was possible! Lol. Also, those Glacier Bay photos were simply stunning! Thanks!

Thanks so much for the kind words!! I am glad you enjoyed the pictures and the review!! Have a great cruise!!!

Super end to your review, Pam! Victoria looks great and believe it or not, I've never stopped there on a cruise. :p Perhaps in the future. ;)

And of course, I agree with you. Everyone should go to Alaska!

Love Victoria, a little bit of England in Canada, Sandi. If you do a cruise from Vancouver, you can get a bus direct from the Vancouver Airport to Victoria, and spend some time there, prior to the cruise.

http://www.hellobc.com/victoria.aspx

Edited by MMDown Under

WOW...fantastic review!! A few questions for you if you don't mind. Does the Pearl dock in an industrial area or is it somewhat scenic? Thinking of having our dinner on our AFT balcony that night but only if it's scenic. What one thing do you wish you had brought with you? Again, fantastic review...

What night are you talking about? I dont think any of them were completely industrial and all were somewhat scenic.

The one thing I wished we had brought were the binoculars I left laying on my bed... ha!!! I spent good money on them and forgot them!!

Thanks for the kind words!! I am glad you enjoyed my review!!

Edited by chasinraynbowz