Larger Bills in Caribbean

cruiseco2015

I will be going to the bank today to get money for my upcoming cruise. I am wondering if the places that accept US dollars will give me any hassle with larger bills, like 50's or 100's? I have some excursions planned that I need to pay the balance for when we get there, so I'm not looking to get change back.

I have paid excursion providers cash with large bills (50s/100s) when the cost of the tour is at or near that value. I would recommend against using large bills when the fee is small. You may get your change back in local currency.

Example, if I have an tour that is $150, I will pay in a 100 and a 50. I will have extra cash on hand in smaller denominations for tips, purchases, etc.

If you are buying lunch while at port, make sure you know about how much the cost will be and have sufficient funds on hand. Some ports are very expensive for dining (Spent $100+ on Grand Cayman this past spring for lunch for 3 and 1 drink each :eek:) No worries as I knew prices were high and was prepared for this.

Enjoy!

I've never had an excursion company turn down large bills if they request cash payment. But I try to have exact payment for cash requested payments.

For smaller store purchases you would be wise to have small bills. ex- in Cozumel, if your total is $15 and you pay with a $20. They will try to give you change in Pesos.... which are worthless to you unless you can spend them before you leave.

I will be going to the bank today to get money for my upcoming cruise. I am wondering if the places that accept US dollars will give me any hassle with larger bills, like 50's or 100's? I have some excursions planned that I need to pay the balance for when we get there, so I'm not looking to get change back.

I would have a mix of both. When we get off on a port we make sure we have some 20's along with a large bill or two. They will take large bills but if you just want to buy a tshirt paying with 100 may be an issue for the vendor.

We take $100 bills with us and get them broken down at the Purser's Desk (customer services) as we need to.

Note: In Bonaire there were signs in several places: We do not accept US $100 bills.

Better to be silly than sorry so we take $20s and some smaller bills as well on our port stops in the Caribbean! :D

LuLu

There are kiosks near Guest Services and also on one of the decks higher, I can't remember the exact location. Among some of the self services you can do there is to break down larger bills. It's very easy to do at these machines.

We have seen vendors request that cash payments at the time of service be in small bills (or exact change). I guess this was so they would have change for folks who do bring only large bills. We've also experienced the phenomenon of merchants freely accepting US currency, but only giving you change in theirs. If you're going to do business in cash, it never hurts to bring a variety of denominations. :cool:

No problem at all.

You will likely be OK, with the larger denominations but as other experienced cruisers have suggested, you will likely be safer if you have your larger bills broken down into denominations at the PSD before going ashore. -$10 & $20's does reduce the vendors concerns. That's certainly what we do.

It's a bad idea to use large bills anywhere when traveling.

If your bank gives you an issue about providing small bills (which, of course, they should not), you can have large bills broken at front office/purser's office on the ship.

Even at home, when I use a $50 or $100 bill, the cashier usually uses one of the 'counterfeit detector' pens to be certain the currency is valid.

Edited by sail7seas

In case it's not clear from the foregoing posts, you want to avoid receiving your change from USD in the local currency. In the eastern Caribbean, the currency is EC. If you can't spend that currency in upcoming ports, it will be difficult (if not impossible) to change it back to USD later. Most banks in the US and Canada won't change it back for you. As for coins, forget about it. You're stuck with them.

You wil not have any problems with 50 dollar bills.

I bring enough that I can pay in full without requiring change.

And yes, the front desk often can give you smaller bills but once in awhile they run out so I don't count on them.

Keith

There are kiosks near Guest Services and also on one of the decks higher, I can't remember the exact location. Among some of the self services you can do there is to break down larger bills. It's very easy to do at these machines.

I think it important to note not all ships/all cruise lines have Kiosks. I wouldn't want someone to count on that and find themselves on a ship/cruise line that does not have that available.