Make a wish trip on RCL- help us choose

My 6 year old is being granted his wish for a Caribbean cruise by RCL. We have been asked to choose 3 cruises that we would most like to go on. It specifically has to be a 7 day cruise, and they would like us to go sometime in October or November. There are so many choices that I don't know where to start.

In our family we have 6 year old twin boys, a 15 year old son, and 18 year old daughter. While my son is extremely active, he has to also have plenty of down time. He loves being outside, but can only tolerate the heat for an hour or 2 at a time, so we are looking for plenty of indoor activities too so he will stay occupied.

Can anyone give us a starting place? Are there any Caribbean ports that are amazing for kids? I'll take any advice you can

Thanks

I'm going to suggest a different ship, The Freedom out of Port of Canaveral.

The Freedom's western Caribbean cruise gives you an extra port stop, (one more then the Oasis), in the Caymans, , a great day to swim with the Rays excursion.

The Freedom offers just about the same activities as Oasis, except for the outdoor water show.

Also if you fly into Orlando, which is the closest airport to Port Canaveral, you could do a few days at Disney World, Universal, Legoland, etc..:)

Have a great time whichever you chose!

I'll answer what I can...

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies. I feel so much more confident in choosing now.

His actual wish is to have a treasure hunt and make sand castles on the beach. We decided to do it as a cruise vs a resort somewhere because it would also offer plenty of options for downtime. While this trip is for him and his wish, I am so glad his siblings are able to participate as well. They have all missed out on so much because of their brother's frequent hospitalizations.

Since you've all been so helpful, I was hoping you might answer a few more questions.

1. Would it be safe for my 18 yo and 15 yo to go on a separate excursion from us? Any idea if that is even allowed?

The 18 year old would be allowed. The 15 year old I don't know for sure, I'm guessing if they were going together it would be allowed but I don't know for sure. Personally I wouldn't do this, I'd send an adult to at least be a passenger on any trip. But I'm somewhat paranoid of letting kids out of my sight for too long in foreign countries. :-)

As far as safety... that's going to depend. Some ports would be safer than others (Labadee, for example is sectioned off from the mainland of Haiti. Falmouth, Jamaica is a totally different story).

2. I'm assuming the arcade requires extra money. Is this correct?

Yes, and it can be quite expensive, a couple bucks per game in many cases. Be very careful with your kids in there, it's easy to rack up huge charges very quickly. While you can't limit spending on the onboard account that I'm aware of, on our recent Liberty cruise you were required to load money to your seapass card from little arcade kiosks. You could go with your child to load a certain amount, and just tell them they aren't allowed to reload once they run out. Just FYI - we spent almost $100 in the arcade on our last cruise, it adds up quickly.

3. Are there typically a bunch of kids cruising in October or November?

There will almost always be some kids, but generally I'd say this is a slower time. If you go around Halloween you'll be likely to have more kids onboard. Also note that the Oasis and Allure are international destinations, moreso than any other ship I've been on. When we cruised Allure there were many kids from other countries where they're schools may have been on break.

4. In addition to my son's love of maps, he is obsessed with the police. Do the security guards on the ship wear uniforms? I was going to get him an autograph book to get their signatures if they were easily visible.

Can't help much here, they do wear uniforms but they are usually just the "officer whites" that most of the ship's officers wear during the day. Usually when you see security they are busy doing their task at hand (you'll probably see them most while getting on and off the ship). I don't know that they'd necessarily have time to sign an autograph book. I don't know how MAW works though, they might work something special out for you.

We've narrowed it down to the Oasis or Allure. Any more advice on excursions would be welcome. What about submarines or glass bottom boats? Are they typically air conditioned? Where are the planes in St Marteen? Are there any train rides? He would enjoy different types of transportation. What about Atlantis? Is it worth the hype?

Sub and glass bottom boats - You'll find them most places, we did a semi-sub excursion in Nassau. It was air conditioned.

St. Maarten planes are at Maho Beach

Thank you so much for your help! This whole experience is overwhelming but so amazing!

I'm going to suggest a different ship, The Freedom out of Port of Canaveral.

The Freedom's western Caribbean cruise gives you an extra port stop, (one more then the Oasis), in the Caymans, , a great day to swim with the Rays excursion.

The Freedom offers just about the same activities as Oasis, except for the outdoor water show.

Also if you fly into Orlando, which is the closest airport to Port Canaveral, you could do a few days at Disney World, Universal, Legoland, etc..:)

Have a great time whichever you chose!

I would second Freedom because they still actively support Make a Wish. Many of the others are moving on to other charities.

Will they provide a trip to the bridge to met the captain? what a big event that would be to make him feel like he is "steering" and his twin would enjoy that as well.

Forget about security have him check out all the officer's stripes.....and ask 4 their autographs....Give him a paper with rank insignia...you would not believe how much simple enjoyment he and his brother will get out of this....

BTW....28 years ago my niece was a 4 year old who had her wish granted.

I'll write some detailed suggestions about treaure hunts or maps...if you are interested....

Edited by land lover

I'll take a stab too.... including some more active options that your older children should enjoy (near the bottom).

1. Would it be safe for my 18 yo and 15 yo to go on a separate excursion from us? Any idea if that is even allowed?

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with my teens going off without me in foreign ports. For the most part, the tourist areas are safe enough. But their young ages will be glaringly obvious, it concerns me they might be seen as easy targets. I don't mean to scare you, I'd say the same for most cities here in the US. That said, it may be allowed if they go together on a ships excursion, and this might be the only way I'd consider letting my own kids go without me (and only because your eldest is 18). A group setting. But be aware, the tour leader does not do a head count (or if they do, I didn't notice). So the kids definitely need to be the type to stick with the group and not wander off, putting themselves at risk of being left behind some place.

2. I'm assuming the arcade requires extra money. Is this correct?

Already answered -- simply, yes.

3. Are there typically a bunch of kids cruising in October or November?

Not a "bunch", since most will be in school. But there will be some other kids in all age groups.

4. In addition to my son's love of maps, he is obsessed with the police. Do the security guards on the ship wear uniforms? I was going to get him an autograph book to get their signatures if they were easily visible.

They aren't really dressed like the cops we are used to seeing around town or security officers that you'd see at places like the airport. The ones I have seen (while getting on and off the ship) are pretty much all-business because their job is rather serious. You'll see port security on shore too (I remember some being heavily armed in Mexico), they check ID of those returning to the ships. But again, they're all-business doing their jobs. That said, they may indulge your son. Never hurts to ask.

We've narrowed it down to the Oasis or Allure. Any more advice on excursions would be welcome. What about submarines or glass bottom boats? Are they typically air conditioned? We LOVED both the glass bottom boat (semi-sub) and the actual submarine, a great way for the younger boys to see life under the surface if they don't get a chance to snorkel. Pretty sure both were air conditioned. GBB was about half the cost, if that matters. Where are the planes in St Marteen? Definitely hit Maho Beach if you are in St Maarten, the boys will get a big kick out of the planes landing right overhead. And your older kids might like to "ride the fence". Are there any train rides? The only real train I can recall is in St Kitts. Oh, there's the Conch Train in Key West, we really enjoyed that. It's like an open-air tram that gives a narrated tour of the town, you can get on and off at the stops. He would enjoy different types of transportation. St Thomas has the gondola that goes up the hill, that's pretty cool. St Thomas also offers lots of excursions in open-air jitney-style buses (they are covered/shaded). St Maarten has Rhino Riders (inflatable boats). America's Cup Sailing Regatta is also in St Maarten, it's a sailboat race that everyone raves about. The older kids would probably enjoy helping crew the yacht (listed as 3hrs). We rented Jeeps in Cozumel for the day, that was a great time. Most Caribbean ports have ATV excursions through the cruise (2-3hrs). Each parent with a twin, the teens could drive their own (not certain about age requirements). Several ports also have 4x4 excursions in open-air, safari-type vehicles. Some ports even have horse-drawn carriage rides. LOADS of transportation-themed things to choose from!

Thank you so much for your help! This whole experience is overwhelming but so amazing!

Edited by Ren1216

Something else I wanted to mention, in case you aren't aware. If you all have passports, you're good to go. If not... everyone will need a certified birth certificate to sail, and the adults will also need a photo ID. This is a time sensitive matter since I assume it's this Oct or Nov that you will cruise. Ordering certified copies of these documents, if you are missing any, could take a few weeks. Not sure if you are mom or dad... but mom will also need a copy of the marriage license to bridge the name change between her birth cert and ID.

After looking at the different itineraries, I am now leaning away from the Oasis/Allure. I'm positive that he will do so much better having day 2 as a recovery from travel day vs a day spent in a port. If you take the Oasis/Allure out, is Freedom the only other great option? This seems like an impossible decision!

After looking at the different itineraries, I am now leaning away from the Oasis/Allure. I'm positive that he will do so much better having day 2 as a recovery from travel day vs a day spent in a port. If you take the Oasis/Allure out, is Freedom the only other great option? This seems like an impossible decision!

If you do the western itinerary on Oasis (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel) then day 2 is a sea day. Look at Oasis:

Oct 10

Oct 24

Nov 7

Nov 21

I've got nothing bad to say about the Freedom either. Freedom class ships are pretty great in their own right. It sails from Port Canaveral, which is slightly harder to get to than Fort Lauderdale (50 minutes from the Orlando airport with no traffic). But you would have the ability to tack on a day or two at Universal or Disney.

Someone else mentioned that Freedom was more dedicated to MAW than the other ships, which I know nothing about, but in your shoes I would definitely find out what the differences were before making a decision.

We're doing Independence, sister ship to Freedom, out of Ft Lauderdale on October 11th, which is an Eastern route. FLL is a pretty easy departure port, the airport is fairly close to Port Everglades and hotels are plentiful. I'd definitely recommend arriving the day before your cruise departs (no matter which you choose), it will significantly reduce stress and provide some down time before the busy embarkation day. I think Indy alternates between Eastern and Western. Our second day is a sea day. Here is our itinerary, just as an example:

Day 1: Depart Ft Lauderdale 4:30pm

Day 2: At Sea

Day 3: San Juan 4pm-11pm

Day 4: St Maarten 10am-7pm

Day 5: St Kitts 7am-5pm

Day 6: At Sea

Day 7: At Sea

Day 8: Return Ft Lauderdale 7am

What about submarines or glass bottom boats? He would enjoy different types of transportation.

In St Maarten, you can ride the Water UFO's. (water-ufo.com). I'm doing that on my birthday in September. The only video of them I found is this, you can jump to the 2:00 mark to see the UFOs.

You can always just stay on-board and make the ship the destination and just have it as his recovery day.

If you choose Oasis or Allure - the whole ship all week could be the destination. There is so much to do/see.

My heart goes out to you.

Not knowing how restricted your child is, the western Caribbean cruises are slanted to beach type activities, except Falmouth, which would be a good day to relax on the ship!

Freedoms itinerary,,

day 1) Port Canaveral depart around 430pm

day 2) Sea Day relax on the ship

day 3) Labadee great beach day only with RCL cruisers, and ship is docked at Labadee's pier.

day 4) Falmouth our suggestion, would be stay on ship to relax.

day 5) Caymans our suggestion, take a swim with the Rays excursion, the water is very shallow, (ability to swim not necessary) a memorable time for your child, the rays are amazing.:)

day 6) Cozumel another beach day or stay around the pier and shop

day 7) Sae Day relax on the ship

day 8) Home, Disney, Universal studios, Legoland, etc.

Others who've suggested Ft Lauderdale and the Eastern Caribbean,,

Coco Cay a beach day only with RCL cruisers

St Martin, and St Thomas both have nice beaches you can bus to in an excursion to relax.

Whatever your decision, don't worry, you'll have a great time no matter which cruise you chose.:)

Have a great cruise!:)

I will help to make it unanimous for Oasis or Allure. Those ships can be the destination without even getting off. I am sure all your children will enjoy it since here is something for all ages. We will be on Oasis the week of October 24th. Hope to see you then.

Don't rule out the Oasis/Allure just because the Eastern route has a port stop on the first day out. The ships really are absolutely incredible with something for everyone in your family, and when rest is needed for your MAW child, there will still be PLENTY for everyone else to do.

I don't know where your home is, but if you are flying to Florida you will want to come in a day early and not the day of the cruise. The remainder of the flight day can be spent in low-key/relaxing and resting activities at your hotel.

Thinking about the ports, I think any 6 year old boy would enjoy Atlantis, the planes at Maho Beach, and Coral World in St. Thomas. For Maho Beach, I recommend arranging private transportation so you can stay a short time. It can be VERY hot out there, even in November. Perhaps one parent could return to the ship with a child/children while the others remained at the beach for a longer time. Coral World offers something for everybody. Be aware that it can be a long ride over there in open air busses. While the ride isn't hot, it can be "sticky" and uncomfortable. Once there there's plenty of air conditioned space, a small aquarium, lots of iguanas, and you can take a tour in a semi-submersible that is air conditioned.

Hope that helps. Any of the Freedom class ships would be fine too, but if this is a "once in a lifetime" trip then I say go for the Oasis/Allure. I'm excited for your family...let us know what you pick so we can help answer your questions.

Edited by Cindy

If he likes treasure hunts Oasis and Allure have "small wonders" all over the ship. He could have a lot of fun trying to find them all. RCI might be able to help you with a list of locations in advance and you could write 6yo appropriate clues for him to solve to find them. I hope you and your family have an amazing trip!

• 4 weeks later...

We bravely took 21first time cruisers with us on a celebratory trip on Freedom of the Seas! Everyone loved it! There is so much to do for all ages! Your kids will be awe struck when they first get on and it will continue throughout the cruise! What a wonderful wish come true!