What % of people on the ship have drink packages?

Tinious

We don't because we wouldn't drink 4 drinks a day between the two of us. In November we'll be diamond and so after that we'll get 3 free drinks a day each so that, along with 2 bottles of wine we bring on board, will do us nicely.

Hubby and I will be purchasing a drink package. It adds up quickly. We each have 2 glasses of wine with dinner and then will probably have some Bailey's with coffee and dessert. Then there is all of the bottled water that we drink during the day. We enjoy a good martini in the afternoon, and at night, we also enjoy a good whisky. It also gives us the fexibility of trying the drink of the day and dumping it if we don't like it. I don't want to have to keep looking at my on board account each day and counting drinks to be sure I am being charged correctly.

Before stating your opinion, you must not thought about the cost of drinks on the ship. With your $809 for 2 people over a week cruise, that comes out to 4-5 drinks per day per person.

When we are on a ship on vacation, hanging out all day long, I don't think that 4-5 drinks is very many.

Replace even 1 of those drinks with a couple of waters or sodas, and you are well ahead of the game.

I also think it depends on the cruise itinerary and time of year how many will actually have the package. In our experience when we cruise it seems like a majority of the passengers have the package.

Here here!! :D

Also - to the "lushy" and "worthwhile" commenters, please remember that there are quite a few of us on CC that are newly addicted to cruising and are no where NEAR diamond level. We lowly people don't get free drinks yet. You've paid for those "free" drinks with COUNTLESS cruises. And that's a great perk for you! I'm looking forward to that day. Until then, we get drink packages.

(I'm not sure why some people are so ANTI-drink packages. No one is saying you HAVE to. No one is saying that if you DON'T have a drink package - you'll have a horrible cruise. Or that if you DON'T drink 5 drinks a day - then you're boring. It's real simple: If drink packages are not for you - don't buy them!)

My BFF and I will be on our first cruise in November; we're both buying the UP. We're middle-aged, twice-a-month margarita drinking, scrapbooking mamas and neither of us remotely would qualify as a lush, but we're going on holiday and we're definitely not going to waste valuable time worrying and counting out our drinks on board. I'm having mimosas for breakfast, with fussy coffees and cocktails later by the pool, probably wine with dinner and water throughout the day. Just not having to count any of that is a totally value-added proposition to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here here!! :D

Also - to the "lushy" and "worthwhile" commenters, please remember that there are quite a few of us on CC that are newly addicted to cruising and are no where NEAR diamond level. We lowly people don't get free drinks yet. You've paid for those "free" drinks with COUNTLESS cruises. And that's a great perk for you! I'm looking forward to that day. Until then, we get drink packages.

(I'm not sure why some people are so ANTI-drink packages. No one is saying you HAVE to. No one is saying that if you DON'T have a drink package - you'll have a horrible cruise. Or that if you DON'T drink 5 drinks a day - then you're boring. It's real simple: If drink packages are not for you - don't buy them!)

We dont even use those 3 free drinks loaded on our card after bloody marys,mimosas at breakfast the frozen drinks and beer at the pool i usually drink captain and coke before dinner which you cant get and i dont like bacardi.So if my wife wants to go into the D lounge ill just get a beer otherwise the free drinks are useless for us.

We dont even use those 3 free drinks loaded on our card after bloody marys,mimosas at breakfast the frozen drinks and beer at the pool i usually drink captain and coke before dinner which you cant get and i dont like bacardi.So if my wife wants to go into the D lounge ill just get a beer otherwise the free drinks are useless for us.

There are only certain drinks that you can get in the D lounge? (Never been - so I don't know. Interesting.)

Before stating your opinion, you must not thought about the cost of drinks on the ship. With your $809 for 2 people over a week cruise, that comes out to 4-5 drinks per day per person.

When we are on a ship on vacation, hanging out all day long, I don't think that 4-5 drinks is very many.

Correct just 5 drinks and 2 coffees would cost $70 before grats or $82.60 after.Thats not even counting water and soda.

There are only certain drinks that you can get in the D lounge? (Never been - so I don't know. Interesting.)

Yes just certain brands and they dont even have bourbon.My wife drinks vodka(any kind)so she likes to go in there.

Having a hard time trying to post menu.You know all that alcohol last night im a little slow.lol

Edited by mark22mac

Yes just certain brands and they dont even have bourbon.My wife drinks vodka(any kind)so she likes to go in there.

Good to know. I'm sure that in 40 years when I become Diamond, I will be able to find something in there that I can drink. They also have food and other perks in there as well, right?

PS - the link you posted above didn't work for me. :confused:

Good to know. I'm sure that in 40 years when I become Diamond, I will be able to find something in there that I can drink. They also have food and other perks in there as well, right?

PS - the link you posted above didn't work for me. :confused:

This is from Freedom a while back:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44235491&postcount=12

On our recent Enchantment cruise, they had added a hard cider choice.

Edited by clarea

This is from Freedom a while back:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44235491&postcount=12

On our recent Enchantment cruise, they had added a hard cider choice.

Gotcha - pretty basic - but covers the bases. Is there a "martini" up charge or anything like that? (I'd certainly be willing to pay the extra - just wondering.)

Actually cost is exactly what I thought about.

The price of the drinks on the ship is beyond the value of the drinks. For me it isn't a question of buy the package or buy the individual drinks. I've simply made a decision not to drink on the cruise because they are priced too high for what they are. It has absolutely nothing to do with how many drinks per day per person would get to the price of buying the packages.

There is a percentage of people who don't care and will buy it no matter what it costs, there is however a percentage of people that will look at the actual value of a product and make a decision based on that about whether or not to purchase it.

Gotcha - pretty basic - but covers the bases. Is there a "martini" up charge or anything like that? (I'd certainly be willing to pay the extra - just wondering.)

Martinis are included. They don't have the ability to process an upcharge in the lounges, nor do they usually have the equipment/ingredients for more complicated drinks.

I often wonder where everyone lives that they think these drink prices are so high.

Here when we go out to dinner, cocktails are usually $12 and up, the cheapest white wine by the glass is about $9 and specialty drinks can be $14 to $16!

I mean even the watered down Mojito I got at CheeseCake Factory (of all places) was $12!! :eek:

I just don't see Royal's drink prices being that expensive.

Edited by dreday3

I often wonder where everyone lives that they think these drink prices are so high.

Here when we go out to dinner, cocktails are usually $12 and up, the cheapest white wine by the glass is about $9 and specialty drinks can be $14 to $16!

I mean even the watered down Mojito I got at CheeseCake Factory (of all places) was $12!! :eek:

Me either. I think people are shocked because drinks used to be a lot LESS expensive.

Having lived in DC most of my life, we're used to higher prices. I think people are also comparing them to the price of liquor that you buy in stores on land. I don't think the two are comparable, but I guess people think they should be.

Actually cost is exactly what I thought about.

The price of the drinks on the ship is beyond the value of the drinks. For me it isn't a question of buy the package or buy the individual drinks. I've simply made a decision not to drink on the cruise because they are priced too high for what they are. It has absolutely nothing to do with how many drinks per day per person would get to the price of buying the packages.

There is a percentage of people who don't care and will buy it no matter what it costs, there is however a percentage of people that will look at the actual value of a product and make a decision based on that about whether or not to purchase it.

If you want to cut back on yourself during your vacation that's fine and I'm sure many others do too but I think it was the 'lushy' comment that others had a problem with. Happy cruising.

The drinks are really fine for the vast majority of folks. I will have Manhattans and my wife will have Cosmos.

The percentage of people will also depend on the cruise itself. For instance last year we did a B2B on Liberty - the Transatlantic from Barcelona to FLL followed by a 5-day Caribbean cruise. There were many many more people on the drinks package on the 5-day 'party' cruise - the bartenders could barely keep up with them.

Edited by Bobal

Agreed - we're in Charlotte, NC, (which is far from the most expensive city in the world). Prices you quote are very similar here if you are at a restaurant other than a sports bar type place. RCCL prices are in line with what we'd expect to pay on any Saturday night out.

Edited by Sascol

Of course everyone that gets the drink package are not "Lushes" in the same way as you are not living up to your Screen Name by making a mountain out of a casual comment. And yes we are all guilty of passing judgement on these pages the term "Cruise Critic" allows us to do so:D

The definition of Critic in various dictionaries is:

A critic is someone who communicates his or her opinions and assessments of various forms of people, art, literature, music, cinema, theater, fashion, architecture and food or drink :eek::D

Cb at sea.... Not everyone that gets the package is a lush.... You ARE passing judgement by saying it in a derogatory manner.

We will have the up package even though we have a GS.

We want to enjoy our trip and have a drink anywhere we want, and not just inside a closed CL where we probably will not even find a place to sit.

I asume our drinking day will be something like

2 OJ

Before lunch

4 softdrinks and water

1 or 2 beers

Lunch

Glass of beer or wine

Water or softdrinks

After lunch

3-4 beers

Water

Dinner

2-3 glasses of wine

Liquor for desert

Water

Evening:

2-3 cocktails

Water

Softdrinks

Total pr day without package $140 pp

Worth it? Hell yeah. Lush? I don't care.