Gluten free

lisa702

Just my two cents but why not just eat on the ship. You are pushing your luck eating at a place you are not familiar with.

Keith

Agree.

Food allergies, gluten abhorrence and other trendy diet plans seem to be primarily an American thing, so expecting a foreign port to attend to your desires is a bit much to expect.

I have only found one restaurant in the downtown area that lists gluten free on their menu,and I believe that they are only open for dinner. The restaurant is Yemanja, which is behind the Renaissance Marina Hotel. Their food is prepared on a wood fired grill. With the seafood allergy, I would also be concerned about cross contamination on the grill. I agree that your best bet would be to eat on the ship.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmm...I guess I'm a little sensitive when it comes to peoples remarks regarding a gluten-free diet.

Anyone heard of Celiac Disease? Well it's an autoimmune disease whereby the body can not process the protein in gluten and the body turns on itself and destroys the villi in the upper intestine.

As a result of ingesting just a crumb size portion of food containing gluten a person with Celiac Disease can vomit, get severe diarrhea and stomach cramps.

So this isn't a trendy thing. This is a life altering disease that is inherited. It's mostly prevalent in people of European decent. But that being said I just talked with a women from Jamaica that was just recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease.

And FYI, gluten is in just amount everything that has been processed including chocolate and ice cream. So just going out for a simple ice cream in a bowl can be a challenge for someone with a gluten intolerance.

Here are a couple of links containing info on GF in Aruba. The blogs at the bottom maybe of help.

http://glutenfreeglobetrotter.com/2012/02/15/gluten-free-in-aruba/

http://www.glutenfreeglobe.com/North_America/Aruba/

From VisitAruba.com

What restaurants have gluten free menu or food?

Please see below a list of restaurants that would be able to accommodate a gluten free menu.

Texas De Brazil- filet mignon. Everything is cooked on a skewer over a flame. Email them first.

Westin Hotel - Pago Pago

Tony Roma's (get gluten-free menu from website first)

Flying Fishbone - Email them first.

Le petit cafe ( cook your own meal on a stone). Email them first.

Yemanja Specialties of Yemanja - Gluten free or any other allergic diets

Linda's Dutch Pancakes & Pizza

Mango Restaurant at Amsterdam Mannor

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...