Coffee Card

Kag1526

For my next cruise I was planning to get the coffee card instead of the Soda and more package (I found last cruise I was drinking way more soda then I like to that way, where really I would prefer stuff like iced teas and the occasional special coffee drink which I understand I can get with the coffee card)

My question is that if I find I'm not using my special coffee drinks fast enough (I understand I get 15?) is there a rule against me using it to get DH drinks too? I know for teh Soda package (which he will still use) you can only get one at a time, which makes sense since its unlimited for a person, but since the coffee card was a set number I figured it may work differently.

The card you purchase can still be used for brewed coffee even if you have all punches used. If you still have punches at the end of the cruise keep the card because on your next cruise you can still get brewed coffee with the remaining punches. I have a couple cards that I'm still using because I never use up all of my punches. I like the brewed coffee.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The “unlimited” brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service is also syrup based.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, just as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

===================================================

I haven't cruised in the near past. Please correct the prices if they've changed.

Edited by Stevesan

If you have punches left can you use it for the specialty coffees on another cruise?

Yes, we still have ours from 2 cruises ago, but only the punches are valid, not the unlimited brewed coffee portion.

Also don't forget you can use a punch to get gelato at the IC.

If you have punches left can you use it for the specialty coffees on another cruise?

It is my understanding (and experience) if you have punches left, you can use the card for specialty coffee drinks on future cruise...but NOT to get unlimited brewed coffee on a future cruise.

Yes, we still have ours from 2 cruises ago, but only the punches are valid, not the unlimited brewed coffee portion.

Also don't forget you can use a punch to get gelato at the IC.

Only on the Royal and Regal.

You can get specialty coffees for your husband as well. if you order 2, they will punch 2 holes. Regular coffee is free with the coffee card as long as you have at least 1 punch left,

You no longer need any punches left to get regular coffee free on the cruise you bought the card on.

The Royal and Regal are the only ships that have the venue, Gelatos, where you can use coffee punches to get gelato treats.

We bought a card for our son and daughter in law for their cruise on the Ruby. Unfortunately they would not let them use it for gelato. They love gelato so I was a bit disappointed. Funny it should be different ship to ship.

We bought a card for our son and daughter in law for their cruise on the Ruby. Unfortunately they would not let them use it for gelato. They love gelato so I was a bit disappointed. Funny it should be different ship to ship.

It is NOT different from ship to ship. The Royal and the Regal are the only ships that have the venue called Gelatos. It is like an old fashioned ice cream parlor with ice cream parlor type seating with multiple choices for sundaes, scoops of gelato in waffle cones, create your own gelato sundaes with multiple toppings etc. The Ruby does not have a venue like this. It is way different than the choices on the other ships where they sell gelato in the IC. It's whole different concept on the Regal and Royal.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Did this change recently? Wasn't the case on our Emerald cruise earlier this year.

Are you saying you were allowed to use a punch on your coffee card to purchase gelato on the Emerald? This is awesome news to us as we thought you could only use a punch on the coffee card to get gelato at the Gelatos venue on the Royal or Regal. We are going to be on the Emerald in November and would LOVE to be able to get gelato at the IC with a punch from a coffee card!

A coffee card costs $33.35 so each punch costs $2.22. Three scoops of gelato on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby costs $1.73. It is cheaper to buy gelato without the coffee card on those ships so that is probably why Princess doesn't offer that option. Gelato on the Royal and Regal used to cost $3.17 but there was apparently a recent price increase so it is even more now. Using a coffee card punch worth $2.22 is a good deal at Gelato on the Royal and Regal.

Sine we are elite, we are able to switch out the complimentary mini bar for two coffee cards (we do not drink soda or much alcohol). So we wouldn't mind using the coffee card for gelato (even if it costs less to pay with "real money"). :D

A coffee card costs $33.35 so each punch costs $2.22. Three scoops of gelato on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby costs $1.73. It is cheaper to buy gelato without the coffee card on those ships so that is probably why Princess doesn't offer that option. Gelato on the Royal and Regal used to cost $3.17 but there was apparently a recent price increase so it is even more now. Using a coffee card punch worth $2.22 is a good deal at Gelato on the Royal and Regal.

I agree & on the Regal in April the cost for Gelato's had increased from $2.75 ($3.17) to $3.50 ($4.03) making a coffee card punch an even better deal.

Sine we are elite, we are able to switch out the complimentary mini bar for two coffee cards (we do not drink soda or much alcohol). So we wouldn't mind using the coffee card for gelato (even if it costs less to pay with "real money"). :D

That makes sense however with no way to know whether a coffee was purchased or free they apparently decided to not allow it at the IC where it costs passengers more when using a coffee card punch.

We had what the IC had labelled as gelato in the display...on Emerald in March this year.

Yes....that is true...many ships sell gelato in the IC. It is NOT the venue named GELATOS which is a separate place/venue with many more choices AND is only available on the Royal and Regal.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

Are you saying you were allowed to use a punch on your coffee card to purchase gelato on the Emerald? This is awesome news to us as we thought you could only use a punch on the coffee card to get gelato at the Gelatos venue on the Royal or Regal. We are going to be on the Emerald in November and would LOVE to be able to get gelato at the IC with a punch from a coffee card!

No you can't use your coffee card to purchase gelato on the Emerald. It is only on the Royal and Regal in the venue called GELATOS.

Three scoops of gelato on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby costs $1.73.

I agree & on the Regal in April the cost for Gelato's had increased from $2.75 ($3.17) to $3.50 ($4.03) making a coffee card punch an even better deal.

I do not believe that a 15% gratuity is charged for gelato either at the IC or at Gelato's.

I know for sure there was no 15% added at the IC. Cost for three scoops is $1.50 total.

The Gelato's menu indicates there is a 15% gratuity added to alcoholic sundaes, but I do not think it applies to non-alcoholic purchases.