Royal Caribbean cancelling my cruise. help

KG_II

It's not clear from your post, but it doesn't look like you booked airfare yet. That would be an expensive nonrefundable item. Otherwise everything should be refundable? It's only been 2 weeks?

Just get your money back and book something else later.

If you had done your research and read the info in the brochure,, you'd have known...although, when you booked, the TA should have caught your ages and known better..... oh well....

Your gripe is with the TA...NOT RCI.

It was just a matter of time before someone said... You should have known...:rolleyes:

move the cruise to another date.

this is 10000000% the TRAVEL AGENT'S fault and thus THEY should be the ones you demand recompense from.

As long as any payments made are prior to final payment, they would be 100% refundable by RCI. Not sure what "recompense" would be demanded from the TA. And if the OP booked through one of the TA's that imposes cancellation fees, they should be waived in this instance.

And I can't figure out why that should matter.

It doesn't.

As long as any payments made are prior to final payment, they would be 100% refundable by RCI. Not sure what "recompense" would be demanded from the TA. And if the OP booked through one of the TA's that imposes cancellation fees, they should be waived in this instance.

It doesn't.

See post #7

It doesn't.

Yes, it does matter. I just can't figure out why it should matter.

See post #7

Post 7 deals with age restrictions and global origination ports. As the OP referenced the age 21 restriction, that indicated to me a North American departure port. My "it doesn't" response should perhaps have been clarified as I meant it in reference to any North American departure point and the 21 year old policy. His concern would be moot if it was a different global departure location.

You referenced both of my responses to which the first response regarding deposit has no connection to post 7. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I was 18 years old when I went on my first cruise to the Caribbean, and, Europe....no one stopped me.

I fell in love with the sea then, and,have been cruising ever since.

I never forgot my first ship, and, love, she was the

U.S.S. Franklin D. Roosevelt, CVA-42,

an aircraft carrier of the United States NAVY. :)

Post 7 deals with age restrictions and global origination ports. As the OP referenced the age 21 restriction, that indicated to me a North American departure port. My "it doesn't" response should perhaps have been clarified as I meant it in reference to any North American departure point and the 21 year old policy. His concern would be moot if it was a different global departure location.

You referenced both of my responses to which the first response regarding deposit has no connection to post 7. Sorry for any confusion.

The post I referred to originally was 27 I believe. That post dealt with citizenship. Then Ocean Boy responded to me. You are correct that it doesn't matter to OP

Sometimes it is difficult to quote a thread that originally quoted multiple posts when using a smartphone

Edited by John&LaLa

Depending on where you're traveling, you may not want to go four months later. Personally, I wouldn't want to do Caribbean in the spring during bug season.

You can change your cruise, keeping the same booking number any time before final payment date.

I'd suggest changing it to Alaska in late May. That's shoulder season, so the price should be better. Also, you'll see some beautiful scenery. BE sure to get a balcony. And check the deck plans to make sure you don't have an irregular room/balcony.

Royal Caribbean needs to replace some of those pretty pictures with a subroutine that verifies birth dates. They also need another subroutine to check Passenger Services Violations on B2B, but that's another issue.

Edited by knittinggirl

The post I referred to originally was 27 I believe. That post dealt with citizenship. Then Ocean Boy responded to me. You are correct that it doesn't matter to OP

Sometimes it is difficult to quote a thread that originally quoted multiple posts when using a smartphone

Understood and no issue. As I said, sometimes it is helpful to be more clear in a response. :)

How is it not RCL's fault? The RCL agent took all the information from the TA and booked them.

How do we know that the original TA didn't put in their birthday wrong? How do you know how the original TA even booked their reservation? You don't. The OP said they booked through a TA and then 2 wks later when attempting to make a payment, a different TA was told they could not book because of their age. Assuming that the TA put all the info in correctly in the beginning, yes Royal's system should have caught the age, however that is assuming that the TA had all the correct information, and actually put their information into the system. I agree 100% that it is the TA's error and not Royal's. Any good TA should know the company they book for policy concerning Age etc. We on CC know, why doesn't the TA know?

How is it not RCL's fault? The RCL agent took all the information from the TA and booked them.

To be clear, I am not saying you are right or that you are wrong. I'm only suggesting that I'm not sure any of us can clearly assign fault. As I interpret the OP's original post they indicate that the TA came back to them saying (in essence) that after they took the booking, the booking was being denied due to their age by RCI. That suggests to me that the TA perhaps didn't realize their error with accepting the booking with their ages - but that RCI did and denied the booking as a result.

It isn't clear when the TA actually tried to place the booking with RCI or that RCI ever accepted it. The OP may have just assumed that RCI accepted it and then later denied it, as that may very well be what the TA is telling them. But that equally as well could just be what they are saying to save face with their mistake. Who knows?

Not sure we have all the information associated with this and there is always more than one perspective as to what took place. IMO only the TA and RCI know that for sure.

The bottom line to me is that the OP will receive a refund from RCI and can re-book once their ages align with the RCI policy.

How do we know that the original TA didn't put in their birthday wrong? How do you know how the original TA even booked their reservation? You don't. The OP said they booked through a TA and then 2 wks later when attempting to make a payment, a different TA was told they could not book because of their age. Assuming that the TA put all the info in correctly in the beginning, yes Royal's system should have caught the age, however that is assuming that the TA had all the correct information, and actually put their information into the system. I agree 100% that it is the TA's error and not Royal's. Any good TA should know the company they book for policy concerning Age etc. We on CC know, why doesn't the TA know?

If the original TA had put the birthday in wrong, then how was the problem ever caught? The OP didn't indicate that on their second visit that the birthday information was corrected or updated.

There are admittedly some details missing from what was posted. Perhaps it was the TA's fault, perhaps it was RCL's fault, or perhaps it was a combination of both. The truth is, we don't know. So I don't know how someone can just declare that it wasn't RCL's fault.

To be clear, I am not saying you are right or that you are wrong. I'm only suggesting that I'm not sure any of us can clearly assign fault. As I interpret the OP's original post they indicate that the TA came back to them saying (in essence) that after they took the booking, the booking was being denied due to their age by RCI. That suggests to me that the TA perhaps didn't realize their error with accepting the booking with their ages - but that RCI did and denied the booking as a result.

It isn't clear when the TA actually tried to place the booking with RCI or that RCI ever accepted it. The OP may have just assumed that RCI accepted it and then later denied it, as that may very well be what the TA is telling them. But that equally as well could just be what they are saying to save face with their mistake. Who knows?

Not sure we have all the information associated with this and there is always more than one perspective as to what took place. IMO only the TA and RCI know that for sure.

The bottom line to me is that the OP will receive a refund from RCI and can re-book once their ages align with the RCI policy.

I agree with what you've stated. I interpreted the information differently than you, believing that the TA booked the cruise with RCI while the OP was sitting there with the TA. Obviously there are details missing, hence our different interpretations. As you stated, none of us really know for sure whose fault it was.

As long as any payments made are prior to final payment, they would be 100% refundable by RCI. Not sure what "recompense" would be demanded from the TA. And if the OP booked through one of the TA's that imposes cancellation fees, they should be waived in this instancet.

and what if the new cruise they choose they can go on( assuming they choose an identical itinerary and cabin) is now more expensive than the one they originally booked? the TA owes them something for the increase in their cost. and they in my NSHO also owe them an apology of sorts.. whether that be in the form of OBC or dinner for 2 at a specialty or some other token

OP also mentioned tour arrangements. what if they made private arrangements and paid up front and the tour operator has a no refund policy?