We strayed to Carnival...NEVER again!

BopRN

I doubt having less kids would have made too much difference except in the pool area. Yes, kids were running in the halls at night, banging on doors at 4 am and someone turned our "cruisin'/snoozing" tag on our door around so our room wasn't made up one day....frustrating, but can happen on any ship.

It was just a general dislike of the atmosphere that Carnival creates and much of the passenger base. WE are past the FUN, Fun, Fun! LOL

With saying that, we thoroughly enjoyed sailing the Mississippi and NOLA. Would I go on the Dream if I REALLY want to experience sailing out of NOLA...sure! It's a cruise...how bad could it be? That would be the only reason I would choose Carnival, tho...if I have no other choice, which is what we did. We were hoping for a better experience, but you do get what you pay for. PS...this was NOT a cheap cruise b/c it was in the summer :rolleyes:

Rude people aren't exclusive to carnival. And I hate to tell you but royal, carnival and Norwegian are all after the same customer base. I don't care what line you sail but I dislike people that think they are above others because of their cruise line preference. And btw we saw someone with a blowup doll by the pool on our royal cruise. That doesn't exactly say high class does it.

And some of your issues could have been avoided had you done research. Lots of kids on a summer cruise, no hot food items on room service and no adult pool should not have been a surprise. And how is taking 2 seconds to sign a receipt a huge hassle?

Edited by BeachChik

Never had a bad experience on Carnival, Guys burger outstanding, blue iguana cantina excellent, the CMC in the MDR delicious. On here I don't believe anybody ever says about any ship, most have one bad experience and complain about the whole thing.

Did you get the Chocolate melting Cake?

A single food venue or a single dessert does not a cruise line make. Personally, I think Carnival Dream Class ships are some of the worst ships ever built due to their over crowding and almost complete lack of open lido deck space. As the op mentioned, the pools are a joke and as is typical of Carnival, there is no live calypso band near the pool. Occasionally, I've seen a guitar soloist on the lido, but that's it.

Besides, if someone is hung up on a cruise line due to burger joints and chocolate cake, they should be a little more worried about their waistline than about comparing cruise lines.

First, as a cruise friend once told me, "any cruise is a good cruise", and I think the OP pretty much says that in her first post. We've cruised mostly Royal, but also Celebrity, Princess, Disney; only Carnival was 30 years ago so I can't really compare that to anything.

Princess was similar to Royal; I liked Princess's food, but I think that was mainly because some of the menu items were unique and different from Royal. That being said, I've never had a Royal dinner in the DR I didn't like. I didn't personally care for Disney's DR offerings, but I have very plain tastes.

Dress: We did a Disney cruise out of Texas. One poster mentioned for formal night she was going to iron her husband's jeans - that should give you an idea of what formal nights were like (and shorts are common in the DR).

Overall. we like Royal the best, but we've enjoyed every cruise. One interesting comment to add: on our last Royal cruise we had breakfast the last day with a couple (age 60 or so) who complained vociferously about the food quality on Royal, and told us Carnival Food quality was equal to four star restaurants. They said the only Royal meal they had that even came close to Carnival was dinner at Chops. I can only guess (from everything else I've ever heard or read), they were delusional or on drugs.:rolleyes:

A single food venue or a single dessert does not a cruise line make. Personally, I think Carnival Dream Class ships are some of the worst ships ever built due to their over crowding and almost complete lack of open lido deck space. As the op mentioned, the pools are a joke and as is typical of Carnival, there is no live calypso band near the pool. Occasionally, I've seen a guitar soloist on the lido, but that's it.

Besides, if someone is hung up on a cruise line due to burger joints and chocolate cake, they should be a little more worried about their waistline than about comparing cruise lines.

Its funny that you mentioned lack of space on the Lido deck. That is one of the major complaints about the Quantum class ships. Lots of pools but to small and over crowded. Only 800 sun chairs. Pretty sure the Dream class ships have more than that. But I said all this before.

Does RCI have a signature dessert?

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to food. Its so subjective. On my few cruises I have had we talked to many people on board on which cruise line they liked the best. Cause I am interested in trying another cruise line. But I am being totally honest here I talked to many people on this subject and most told me they liked Carnival the best. And I am sure if I do try RCI I will hear RCI is the best. I did have a couple meals on Carnival I didn't like. But the best thing was that I was able to send it back and order something new. By no means did that ruin my cruise or make me want to write a bad review. Everything in this thread is subjectable. Just sayin. ......

Rude people aren't exclusive to carnival. And I hate to tell you but royal, carnival and Norwegian are all after the same customer base. I don't care what line you sail but I dislike people that think they are above others because of their cruise line preference. And btw we saw someone with a blowup doll by the pool on our royal cruise. That doesn't exactly say high class does it.

And some of your issues could have been avoided had you done research. Lots of kids on a summer cruise, no hot food items on room service and no adult pool should not have been a surprise. And how is taking 2 seconds to sign a receipt a huge hassle?

Of course you are right, there are rude people on any cruise line and there are great people on any cruise line. However I don't think people feel they are "above others because of their cruise line preference." There is a difference between the target passengers between the lines. For example the luxury cruise lines like Crystal or Seabourn attract a decidedly different type of cruiser than Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Carnival bills itself as the "Fun Ships." They are cheaper and more "casual." So they attract a clientele that is looking for "fun." I have done 4 Carnival cruises, albeit the last was in 2007. I thought the food was markedly better than on Royal Caribbean. What I didn't like was the design of the ships. I found them "glitzy." Too "Las Vegas" like. Lots of neon. The cabins seemed plain to me. Getting around the ship was more complicated, often involving changing decks to go from bow to stern. And the passengers were more "partiers." But I had a great time. In fact we have done 26 cruises and the only people we still keep in touch with (we tend to cruise with a big group so we don't meet too many others) is from one of our Carnival Cruises.

But with the exception of a Med Cruise (a totally different passenger base), Carnival is more of a "party till you drop" feel to it.

Royal Caribbean is just more my "style." There is the "party till you drop" people on board and there is the "dress to the nines" people on board. You can more easily tailor your experience. I also like the more sophisticated ship decor and the overall design and amenities of the ship.

That isn't "snobby," just a difference that attracts me.

Edited by papaflamingo

Of course you are right, there are rude people on any cruise line and there are great people on any cruise line. However I don't think people feel they are "above others because of their cruise line preference." There is a difference between the target passengers between the lines. For example the luxury cruise lines like Crystal or Seabourn attract a decidedly different type of cruiser than Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Carnival bills itself as the "Fun Ships." They are cheaper and more "casual." So they attract a clientele that is looking for "fun." I have done 4 Carnival cruises, albeit the last was in 2007. I thought the food was markedly better than on Royal Caribbean. What I didn't like was the design of the ships. I found them "glitzy." Too "Las Vegas" like. Lots of neon. The cabins seemed plain to me. Getting around the ship was more complicated, often involving changing decks to go from bow to stern. And the passengers were more "partiers." But I had a great time. In fact we have done 26 cruises and the only people we still keep in touch with (we tend to cruise with a big group so we don't meet too many others) is from one of our Carnival Cruises.

But with the exception of a Med Cruise (a totally different passenger base), Carnival is more of a "party till you drop" feel to it.

Royal Caribbean is just more my "style." There is the "party till you drop" people on board and there is the "dress to the nines" people on board. You can more easily tailor your experience. I also like the more sophisticated ship decor and the overall design and amenities of the ship.

That isn't "snobby," just a difference that attracts me.

I like what you had to say.

I'll never say never again having taken our very 1st Carnival sailing earlier this year on the Valor having sailed exclusively with RCI since 2004 on 18 sailings with them.

We enjoyed our Carnival experience and many have already mentioned some of the differences either better or worse than RCI.

IMHO the buffet is better as it is on 2 floors and there are many choices provided. Fresh eggs, omelettes, burritos made to order. The burgers were exceptional compared to RCI's offering in the WJ.

Drinks were cheaper than our cruise immediately before this on Enchantment. Gratuities only 15%.

Towel animals every night, pool towels in the cabin. Larger bathroom with complimentary toiletries including separate shampoo and conditioner in the shower.

Food is subjective, but we found with exception of the speciality Steak House, that the food was excellent and the wait staff did not appear rushed off their feet unlike RCI.

Wine packages are still available and very reasonably priced as compared to the package which was offered by RCI but is no longer available.

24 freshly made pizza, and free popcorn when watching recent movies on the pool deck.

Our only criticism is that due to several larger groups on board, a few of the lounge venues were not always available for the general passengers and so finding a quiet spot in a comfy venue for pre or post dinner drinks wasn't always possible. However, there was always prompt service at the bars we visited unlike RCI which has obviously cut back on staff.

Edited by peteukmcr

The last time I took a cruise on Carnival, I assured myself I would never go back. The last straw for me was Meatloaf (bad meatloaf) as an Entree in the MDR. I asked the waiter if it was going to be hog jowls and chitttlins the next day. He did not have a clue.

What the heck is wrong with meatloaf? I happen to like meatloaf. Even if it doesn't appeal to you, it was one of several choices they offered. I mean, just how hoity toity are you that comfort food isn't even allowed to be on the menu?

That is a theme I notice in a lot of these posts. Come on, tastes vary. If it doesn't appeal to you, don't take it. But that doesn't mean it can't be on the market.

Cruise agent here..I believe there is a cruise line for everyone's taste... DO your research here on CC, ask questions, and when you read reviews remember that is ONE person's take & experience.Big Al

Makes sense to me Big Al. I also consider a cruise line's pattern in dealing with public safety matters (e.g., norovirus, ship fires, onboard criminal issues, etc.). I usually cruise with RCI and Celebrity, but have cruised with Carnival, Princess and will cruise on MSC in December. If a person is comfortable with a cruise line's value proposition and safety record, one should not be criticized for choosing one over the other. It is personal preference and there is nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Cheers!

"What is wrong with meatloaf?" It is the cheapest thing you can make, and not gourmet in any way. Take low grade ground beef and add filler of day old bread. "Season" to taste with ketchup... :eek:

You make it sound like microwave ramen. That may be how meatloaf is made at your home, but trust me, you can class it up, and I have had it in many good restaurants.

Heck, you obviously know nothing about cooking. Breadcrumbs are not "filler" but serve as a binder, keeping it together during cooking and absorbing juices so they can be reabsorbed by the dish. If anyone loves their grandmother's meatballs, I guarantee each one uses some sort of breadcrumb or cracker as a binder, and it is not about adding a filler.

You make it sound like microwave ramen. That may be how meatloaf is made at your home, but trust me, you can class it up, and I have had it in many good restaurants.

Heck, you obviously know nothing about cooking. Breadcrumbs are not "filler" but serve as a binder, keeping it together during cooking and absorbing juices so they can be reabsorbed by the dish. If anyone loves their grandmother's meatballs, I guarantee each one uses some sort of breadcrumb or cracker as a binder, and it is not about adding a filler.

I think it was just to demonstrate that it is a lower cost meal, and on cruise ships I have no doubt it uses cheaper ground meat and fillers to be produced in mass and then just slathered in some thick glutenous gravy or ketchup and isn't at the same level of other proteins such as fish or steaks that one would normally associate with being on cruise menus. Cruise dinners tend to be a notch or two up from what you would eat on a daily basis at home.

I had moms meatloaf last week. It was great. But if I saw it on a cruise ship menu it would get some sideways eyes from me too.

I agree 100%. Ive seen rude, digusting and obnoxious behavior on every RC cruise Ive been on :rolleyes:

I think it was just to demonstrate that it is a lower cost meal, and on cruise ships I have no doubt it uses cheaper ground meat and fillers to be produced in mass and then just slathered in some thick glutenous gravy or ketchup and isn't at the same level of other proteins such as fish or steaks that one would normally associate with being on cruise menus. Cruise dinners tend to be a notch or two up from what you would eat on a daily basis at home.

I had moms meatloaf last week. It was great. But if I saw it on a cruise ship menu it would get some sideways eyes from me too.

Why do you assume it is cheap crap (and not at the same time assume it all is cheap crap)? I'm sure it's not the most high end, but that free steak in the MDR sure isn't USDA Prime, either.

But even if that is your opinion, order something else! Why take away options other people like because you don't consider it "cruise-worthy" food?

"What is wrong with meatloaf?" It is the cheapest thing you can make, and not gourmet in any way. Take low grade ground beef and add filler of day old bread. "Season" to taste with ketchup... :eek:

Fancying up the name of a dish as Royal does, does not make it gourmet. I would take Carnivals meatloaf over that nasty stuff Royal calls lasagna any day.

Why take away options other people like because you don't consider it "cruise-worthy" food?

I wouldn't take it away as an option. but, if, for instance I went to the buffet and they replaced sliced prime rib with meatloaf I'd definitely think it was all about saving cost and trying to get away with serving as cheap as possible.

It's like macaroni and cheese. You can dress up the name, you can throw some different cheese in to be cute about it, but it's still macaroni and cheese.

Edited by LMaxwell

Well on the CCL Legend some guy came to dinner with a big fuzzy hat that was supposed to be a hot dog and it had tassels hanging down all around. :eek:

Sounds.... entertaining. Yikes!!

I am sure Dream is not one of Carnival's newest ships- but it's not that old either, is it? I am surprised it does not have a Serenity pool. We considered the Dream when it was sailing out of Port Canaveral for awhile, but never got the chance to go on it.

We are still pretty loyal to Royal and Celebrity. I think we'll stick with what we know for now.

I am sure Dream is not one of Carnival's newest ships- but it's not that old either, is it? .

The only other Carnival ship actually sailing right now that is newer than Dream is Breeze. Dream is 6 years old.

Edited by ryano

Sounds.... entertaining. Yikes!!

I am sure Dream is not one of Carnival's newest ships- but it's not that old either, is it? I am surprised it does not have a Serenity pool. We considered the Dream when it was sailing out of Port Canaveral for awhile, but never got the chance to go on it.

We are still pretty loyal to Royal and Celebrity. I think we'll stick with what we know for now.

I would rather deal with the guy with the hat over the fella on the RCI ship in the pool with the blow up doll any day. There are weird people no matter where you go.

I would rather deal with the guy with the hat over the fella on the RCI ship in the pool with the blow up doll any day. There are weird people no matter where you go.

I wouldn't consider it a problem with the ship, but with the passenger. You are right. Weird people are everywhere. I probably said something that made everyone think I am snotty cruise jerk, but that wasn't my intent.

The hot dog hat is weird. The blow up doll is creepy. Neither would be a reflection on the cruiseline, IMO.

I don't think Carnival, as a whole, lacks class just because a guy wears a hot dog hat. I don't think RCI is a line full of perverts just because one idiot passenger shows up with a blow up doll and has the stupidity to take it on deck.

I was only saying "Yikes" because I am not sure I could have contained my laughter or surprise to a manageable level if I saw either.