We strayed to Carnival...NEVER again!

BopRN

This is a serious question, how are you defining "classier"? I have never been on Celebrity (hope to one day soon), so I am not challenging your observation, but am curious as to what difference you saw and are attributing to class.

I think a lot of people assume you are meaning financial position, but I don't like to make assumptions, so thought I would just ask.

I'm not the poster you are asking but on my very last and never again Carnival cruise, they had a "blue light special" like all cruise lines do. At this sale, people were pushing and shoving, and I was watching from a distance. Than I saw it. An actual fight broke out over a $10.00 t-shirt. Fist were flying. Reminded me of seeing on the news Black Friday at the local K-mart. If only I had a video.

I saw crowded sales on RCCL, but I never saw the level of pushing and shoving, screaming and "fighting" than I saw the last Carnival ship.

when I google "fight on cruise ship" or "drunk pier runners" or "crazy drunk girl by cruise ship pool" it seems to me its usually a Carnival sailing.

From this any rational person can only draw the obvious conclusion that there are just more people with cameras on Carnival ships.... :D

I'm not the poster you are asking but on my very last and never again Carnival cruise, they had a "blue light special" like all cruise lines do. At this sale, people were pushing and shoving, and I was watching from a distance. Than I saw it. An actual fight broke out over a $10.00 t-shirt. Fist were flying. Reminded me of seeing on the news Black Friday at the local K-mart. If only I had a video.

I saw crowded sales on RCCL, but I never saw the level of pushing and shoving, screaming and "fighting" than I saw the last Carnival ship.

Havingfun2010, I appreciate the example. I hate to admit it, but I kind of wish you had taped it too.

As the post has continued, I have kind of picked up on the types of situations people mean. I don't think "class" is the word I would choose to describe this, but that is just semantics. Seems like most of the examples include immaturity, rowdiness, and drunkenness. Again, this admittedly is semantics, and I accept your and others points.

Big_G described Celebrity to me as "more relaxing". Even as apathetic as I am to the things you all mention about Carnival, I would not describe Carnival as relaxing, and they do promote the "Party Ship" atmosphere. So I definitely get that point.

Again, I would honestly walk right by the fight, maybe glance at it maybe not, and get to trivia (or wherever I was heading). I wouldn't even tape it, I've got that "not my problem" thing running in my head.

I will also point out before someone else has to, I am taking Royal in two weeks. Because as I said, my wife agrees about Carnival. I am looking forward to the cruise very much. I will get the Mrs feedback when we are done and try to post if she has any observations to share.

I will give my review right now. Wow what an awesome time. Everything was great. Wish I could live on board (without having to work a shift of course). Complaints - they made me come home at the end of the week.

Then Celebrity next, Big_G sold me.

when I google "fight on cruise ship" or "drunk pier runners" or "crazy drunk girl by cruise ship pool" it seems to me its usually a Carnival sailing.

From this any rational person can only draw the obvious conclusion that there are just more people with cameras on Carnival ships.... :D

Or at least more people who know how to post to Youtube.

What the heck is wrong with meatloaf? I happen to like meatloaf. Even if it doesn't appeal to you, it was one of several choices they offered. I mean, just how hoity toity are you that comfort food isn't even allowed to be on the menu?

That is a theme I notice in a lot of these posts. Come on, tastes vary. If it doesn't appeal to you, don't take it. But that doesn't mean it can't be on the market.

Perhaps they should have tried the didjaever menu on Carnival instead of what is billed as comfort food (not our thing personally).

"cured salmon and candied tomato~ dill cream, stewed apples and grapes in lemon dressing

spicy alligator fritters~ served on tropical tomato salsa

a study in sushi~ seared ahi tuna, ebi shrimp, and norwegian salmon tartar, soy sauce

shark and langoustino fire cracker roll~ served with salsa verde

oysters rockefeller~ baked with spinach and cheese sauce

escargots bourguignonne~ burgundy snails in garlic butter with an infusion of chablis and pernod

frogs legs with provencale herb butter~ served with warm garlic bread"

Edited by Sanz

Our last Carnival cruise a couple of years back (as in, they made us an offer we couldn't refuse ... under $400 for 7 nights) actually validated our previous contentions ... it's just not for us.

Don't get me wrong ... they've got to be doing something right, with so many ships in the water, not to mention ownership of Holland America, Princess, Costa, Cunard, Windstar, Seabourn (72 ships at last count) ... as much as I'd like to, I just can't knock success.

What I've observed is Carnival's marketing strategy, aimed largely at folks who've either never cruised before, or who vacation infrequently. It's pretty simple ... you get to travel on a floating hotel, to places you'd never dreamed of visiting, enjoying an endless array (and quantity) of food, be entertained, and generally just let go ... all for a price you can well afford (that is, until you see your bar tab and all the other optional expenses). You can pay the cruise off in a year or two on your Carnival credit card, earn a few perks, and get to do it all over again when your balance becomes manageable. Nothing wrong here ... it serves a need for an inexhaustible number of potential first-time passengers.

Having never cruised before, most of these folks have no idea what the generally accepted protocol is, so they just do their thing ... shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps at dinner is just an indication of attitude, if for no other reasons than, (1) they're not aware of what should be expected, and/or (2) the staff doesn't enforce whatever rules and regs are in place. They're having a ball, and will be telling all their friends what a great time they had. In the meantime, Carnival's cash registers are working overtime, so everyone wins.

This is not to say that we haven't run into obnoxious passengers (sober or otherwise), out-of-control kids, lapses in service, and other such matters on Royal ... but the incidents are few and far between, and issues are often resolved expeditiously and courteously. Hey ... things happen when 3000+ people are in a confined space for any length of time ... just seems to happen more often on Carnival ships.

Al

Edited by jewopaho

Even though we are platinum on Carnival, we are done sailing with them. Our last couple cruises with them were pretty much like the OP's, except we do NOT enjoy the Playlist Productions. The only way we would choose Carnival at this point, is if they had an awesome itinerary, that no other line offers.

In 4 days, I am trying my first RCL cruise, and will be booking my 2nd while on board. SO excited!!

Havingfun2010, I appreciate the example. I hate to admit it, but I kind of wish you had taped it too.

As the post has continued, I have kind of picked up on the types of situations people mean. I don't think "class" is the word I would choose to describe this, but that is just semantics. Seems like most of the examples include immaturity, rowdiness, and drunkenness. Again, this admittedly is semantics, and I accept your and others points.

Big_G described Celebrity to me as "more relaxing". Even as apathetic as I am to the things you all mention about Carnival, I would not describe Carnival as relaxing, and they do promote the "Party Ship" atmosphere. So I definitely get that point.

Again, I would honestly walk right by the fight, maybe glance at it maybe not, and get to trivia (or wherever I was heading). I wouldn't even tape it, I've got that "not my problem" thing running in my head.

I will also point out before someone else has to, I am taking Royal in two weeks. Because as I said, my wife agrees about Carnival. I am looking forward to the cruise very much. I will get the Mrs feedback when we are done and try to post if she has any observations to share.

I will give my review right now. Wow what an awesome time. Everything was great. Wish I could live on board (without having to work a shift of course). Complaints - they made me come home at the end of the week.

Then Celebrity next, Big_G sold me.

Domino D, I agree with you, I have the same attitude. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Our last Carnival cruise a couple of years back (as in, they made us an offer we couldn't refuse ... under $400 for 7 nights) actually validated our previous contentions ... it's just not for us.

Don't get me wrong ... they've got to be doing something right, with so many ships in the water, not to mention ownership of Holland America, Princess, Costa, Cunard, Windstar, Seabourn (72 ships at last count) ... as much as I'd like to, I just can't knock success.

Those cruise lines are owned by Carnival Corporation, not Carnival. They are all operated independently. I can only tell you from my own experience but I feel that there is a vast difference between Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines.

Edited by PhoneGoddess

I will not sail carnival again.. BUT the reason has less to do with the ships and more to do with the management. After seeing how horribly the people on the floating toilot were treated, I simply don't want to add to the pocket books of a line, (that looking from the outside in) does not appear to care about their passengers.

Now. I do prefer the Royal ships that Have a promenade. I don't think the food is that amazing, but then again, they are cooking for 4,000 people. ( come on you guys, it's hard to get good food for 400 people at a wedding reception.

I do think meatloaf and comfort foods would be a good twist. but. I don't go on the cruise to eat, or eat myself to death. I look at dinners on the ship as a time to get together with the friends I sail with and talk about what each of us did during that day.

People get so ugly about being right and defending their opinion that they just cant look a the big picture.

Yes.. do your research, know the demographic of your ship.. know if the pools are good or bad, you can easily find room service menus on line...

Here is a great example. I love the oasis class ships, (if the price is right)

but if you look at the last 4 member reviews. 2 of them loved it and two of them said never again. Two of them said it was not crowded at all. and two of them said it was so crowded there was no room to move. SO everyone has a different experience on a ship. Try carnival, try ncl. How do you know you wont love it? Will it be different? Of course, but for you .. you might like it better?

What I've observed is Carnival's marketing strategy, aimed largely at folks who've either never cruised before, or who vacation infrequently. It's pretty simple ... you get to travel on a floating hotel, to places you'd never dreamed of visiting, enjoying an endless array (and quantity) of food, be entertained, and generally just let go ... all for a price you can well afford (that is, until you see your bar tab and all the other optional expenses). You can pay the cruise off in a year or two on your Carnival credit card, earn a few perks, and get to do it all over again when your balance becomes manageable. Nothing wrong here ... it serves a need for an inexhaustible number of potential first-time passengers.

Having never cruised before, most of these folks have no idea what the generally accepted protocol is, so they just do their thing ... shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps at dinner is just an indication of attitude, if for no other reasons than, (1) they're not aware of what should be expected, and/or (2) the staff doesn't enforce whatever rules and regs are in place. They're having a ball, and will be telling all their friends what a great time they had. In the meantime, Carnival's cash registers are working overtime, so everyone wins.

This is not to say that we haven't run into obnoxious passengers (sober or otherwise), out-of-control kids, lapses in service, and other such matters on Royal ... but the incidents are few and far between, and issues are often resolved expeditiously and courteously. Hey ... things happen when 3000+ people are in a confined space for any length of time ... just seems to happen more often on Carnival ships.

Al

I have to disagree with you that Carnival is a first time cruise only. If that is the case where did all these platinum and diamond passengers come from? From what I have read is that Carnival is a more casual cruise line. Which a lot of people like. Me for one. Im on vacation I don't wanna have to get dressed up every dinner. Mind you I don't go to dinner with a tank top and daisy duke shorts either. I don't mind dressing up a couple of times. If RCI is formal dress every night RCI is not the cruise line for me.

I have to disagree with you that Carnival is a first time cruise only. If that is the case where did all these platinum and diamond passengers come from? From what I have read is that Carnival is a more casual cruise line. Which a lot of people like. Me for one. Im on vacation I don't wanna have to get dressed up every dinner. Mind you I don't go to dinner with a tank top and daisy duke shorts either. I don't mind dressing up a couple of times. If RCI is formal dress every night RCI is not the cruise line for me.

Formal dress every night? Where did you get that? It's barely formal on formal nights. My last RCI cruise I dressed with a pair of dockers and a nice collared shirt just like I dressed on Carnivals "elegant night".

Just an observation but it seems you are basing RCI on things made up in your head just to bolster your bias towards Carnival.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

After seeing how horribly the people on the floating toilot were treated,?

You were there to see it? How horribly were they treated? Im guessing you are talking about the 2010 Splendour cruise? Most accounts from people that were actually ON that cruise said John Heald, the Captain and the crew could NOT have handled the situation any better. :confused:

Yeah, sure, there were a few "never again" comments from people looking to get on a tv camera but you are going to have that any time something bad happens.

So I will ask again. WHAT, in your opinion, was so horrible about the way those guests were treated?

I asked the waiter if it was going to be hog jowls and chitttlins the next day.

OMG...hog jowls/chitlins...LOL! You are indeed from the South (my mom's side of the family is all Louisianian)! I'm no huge Carnival fan, and I wouldn't put in past them to add that to their MDR menu...:eek:

You were there to see it? How horribly were they treated? Im guessing you are talking about the 2010 Splendour cruise? Most accounts from people that were actually ON that cruise said John Heald, the Captain and the crew could NOT have handled the situation any better. :confused:

Yeah, sure, there were a few "never again" comments from people looking to get on a tv camera but you are going to have that any time something bad happens.

So I will ask again. WHAT, in your opinion, was so horrible about the way those guests were treated?

I thought he was referring to the Triumph?:confused:

Bill

I thought he was referring the Triumph?:confused:

Bill

A lot of the issues with the toilets on the Triumph was that people were trying to flush them with no power which made them overflow. Break downs happen. I would rather be on a broken down cruise ship in the water then a broken down airplane in the air. lol

In my opinion many people comment on Carnival but have never stepped foot on one of their ships. I've done 5 Carnival cruises and 1 Royal with a upcoming one on the Allure. I have never had any type of problem on Carnival , I have never seen a fight break out on Carnival.

I did however have a problem on Majesty with a group of 20 somethings drunk guys whom decided to try and beat up a guy who was just standing next to us at one of the bars, I was pushed and almost knocked down by one punk.

Also as one mentioned earlier income doesn't always equal class, I know a few classless wealthy people.

People need to try different lines for themselves not just go by what others say....form your own opinion. Also there are a ton of 30, 40, 50 year old and up on Carnival if your cruising when the kids are in school, it's not all young passengers like some keep saying.

I will say Carnival does need to tone down the music at times and play a better genre of music. I would never not do another Carnival cruise but have grown tired of Carnival. After my Allure cruise I will be trying Princess.

Edited by Midwestgal

To throw another twist into the Carnival conversation, look at the history of Man Over Boards. It is littered with Carnival ships. Back in '09 there were 8 MOBs in 8 months including 2 in back to back weeks in Tampa Bay.

You can't fix stupid. Most overboards are being drunk. And I am not sure how that is carnivals fault. If I drive drunk and kill someone I have no one to blame but myself.

We had few complaints, mostly due to unnecessary loudness outside in pool area - the big screen showing loud obnoxious trash on a pleasant morning coming in to Cozumel, eventually it was turned off when the ship next door complained.

That's a pretty obnoxious Carnival cruise, if the ship NEXT to it thinks you're too loud...wow :eek:

I thought he was referring to the Triumph?:confused:

Bill

My question still stands. What did Carnival do to those people that was so "horrible"?

Sure, the cruise itself might have been horrible once the power went down but its not like Carnival started that fire on purpose :o

You can't fix stupid. Most overboards are being drunk. And I am not sure how that is carnivals fault. If I drive drunk and kill someone I have no one to blame but myself.

It may or may not have anything to do with alcohol but I agree, you can't blame any cruise line for overboards unless they're tossing them over.