New flag for NZ ?

Cruisers may soon see a new flag flying from ships masts when they cruise NZ waters. The final four designs in the contest for a new NZ flag have been announced today. Now we have to vote on which one we like best and then another vote later on on whether to keep the existing flag or change to the new one.

1zr15cp.jpg

How many people outside of Australasia can differentiate between the New Zealand flag and the Australian flag?

I know we just consider Australia as our western isle but I'm sure we need to be recognised on "our own" after all we are world leaders in a good number of things!!!!!!

Yes they are reminiscent of corporate flags but that is good in my opinion. Lets face it Canada made the change and didn't regret it and little (in size) Norfolk Island is known world wide.

So numbers 2 or 4 would meet with my approval.

(OK wait for the comments!!)

Edited by kiwipete

As an interested West Islander who has visited NZ a number of times, I suggest the red/white/blue fern is the best if a decison is made to change from existing. The plain black/white fern looks like a sporting logo & the koru looks like an airline :)

As kiwipete wrote, there is often confusion between the Aus & NZ flags & any of these would be distictly different, just like Canada & Norfolk.

Good luck with it all.

The red white and blue fern one probably has the greatest visual impact, however what’s the point of keeping the colonialist colours. But if change is inevitable my money’s on that one, it’s a compromise between the conservative and radical

The black, blue and red just clashes horribly, and all I see when I see it is ANZ Bank. Ah well, give it another generation and it just won’t matter.

Edited by pippin10

Attractive designs,David. My preference is red/white/ blue + ferns

Ditto. It retains the Southern Cross from the current flag while adding the silver fern which is recognised worldwide as an NZ symbol.

Too many flags are too abstract and easy to confuse.

Ditto. It retains the Southern Cross from the current flag while adding the silver fern which is recognised worldwide as an NZ symbol.

Too many flags are too abstract and easy to confuse.

I know it's nothing to do with me as an Ussie but you have to kep "The Cross"

A small majority? An oxymoron equalling army intelligence five fold!

A small majority is NOT an oxymoron! Unlike pregnancy, there are variations of a majority - you can have a large majority or a small majority - they are all majorities , but the size of the majority varies. In the case of the NZ flag, I believe that the majority involved is 53% - according to a NZ newspaper poll.

Attractive designs,David. My preference is red/white/ blue + ferns

As a visitor from afar in the USA, I do not have a vote, but I would agree with the above comment if it was my decision. Liked the mix of the red, white and blue.

Below are two of my pictures from our visits "down under" last year and showing both flags looking good and cool during our sailings in and around the harbors in both Sydney and Auckland. Yes, they do look fairly much the same. Should NZ change? And to what? Good questions!!

Looking forward to seeing how all of these "discussions" work out.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 117,841 views for this posting.

From last year, here is my visual comparisons on the Aussie flag while enjoying a sailing around in the scenic Sydney harbor versus during a Fuller sail-away in scenic Auckland. Both were fun trips!:

Aug2015PixsA21_zpselki3bs4.jpg

Aug2015PixsA20_zps9bbopsiq.jpg

This New Zealand flag story is getting some attention in the Wall Street Journal. From this major business publication earlier this afternoon, they have this headline: "National referendum to decide which of four emblems will square off against current flag".

Here are some of their story highlights: "For more than a century, New Zealanders have fought wars and won Olympic medals under a flag with four red stars on a blue background and Great Britain’s Union Jack in the corner. The stars, arranged in a Southern Cross formation, indicated New Zealand’s location in the South Pacific while the incorporation of the Union Jack harked back to the island nation’s time as a British colony."

Designer Kyle Lockwood, who did two of the four final designs said national identity was key to his thinking: “What will make the world recognize us, what will make Kiwis proud to carry it and what will bring a tear to your eye when you see it on the podium?” This story has a graphic showing the four different options to be considered.

The WSJ story concludes: "New Zealanders will go to the polls in late November or early December to rank the four designs by order of preference. The winning design will be pitted against the current flag in a second referendum in March next year."

NZ Flag Consideration Panel chair John Burrows said: "This is ‘history in the making’--these designs offer Kiwis a real choice to consider, think about and rank the flags.”

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/final-four-designs-for-new-zealands-proposed-new-flag-chosen-1441131678

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 184,953 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I personally would choose a flag that truly represented your great nation. I have always found that as soon as you step foot onto New Zealand soil you can just feel the respect the people have for their heritage and love of their country. I feel you need a flag that really signifies your country. If you must change I would go for the 4th one, the black and silver fern, navy with red stars. You need something that when your flag is raised ie at great sporting events ie last world swimming event that you take pride in your flag and it makes you feel good.

They tried to change the Australian flag a few years ago and they had such a shocking lot to choose from, their was nothing that showed great pride in the country.

Just do what is right for your country, we all know that the fern symbalises New Zealand.

Regards :):)

• 2 weeks later...

This may have allready made the news over there, but just in case you missed it ...

heres one politician putting his foot in it over logos on National flags...

David-Seymour-the French-love-the-coq

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/72087969/act-leader-david-seymour-french-love-the-coq