Dress code for men?

delta13

Just packing for our Getaway cruise this Saturday and I thought I saw that golf type shorts are ok in the main dining room. My 23 year old son doesn't like dressing up, but has several pair of nice shorts. Is this acceptable?

http://www.ncl.com/faq#packing

These are the sentences that apply to your question

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day. Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

In the one MDR and in the specialty restaurants I've gone to (Cagney's, Teppanyaki, La Cucina), men have been in everything from jogging suits to polo shirt and shorts to a nice shirt and long pants to long pants and a sports jacket and even those who continue to wear their baseball cap in the restaurant. Your son will be fine no matter what he chooses to bring.

Just packing for our Getaway cruise this Saturday and I thought I saw that golf type shorts are ok in the main dining room. My 23 year old son doesn't like dressing up, but has several pair of nice shorts. Is this acceptable?

I let out a laugh at your post....... I was just on the Breakaway and you should see how some people dressed for dinner. You literally had people all dressed up (suits/ties) sitting in restaurants next to people who were in their bathing suits and t-shirts and this included in the "specialty dining" venues.

I do believe that NCL should have a minimum dress code for dinner venues akin to what people refer to as "business casual" nowadays.

Have to admit it is the one thing that worrys me about NCL.. I get the whole freestyle thing but there's freestyle and "cant be bothered/dont care" - I dont really want to pay for premium dining to stare at hairy kneecaps/ sweaty football shirts and salt ringed baseball caps (and thats just the women ;))

I expect it on Carnival but NCLs allowing some areas to become grey areas and its getting hard to work out at times who they are trying to aim for

Have to admit it is the one thing that worrys me about NCL.. I get the whole freestyle thing but there's freestyle and "cant be bothered/dont care" - I dont really want to pay for premium dining to stare at hairy kneecaps/ sweaty football shirts and salt ringed baseball caps (and thats just the women ;))

I expect it on Carnival but NCLs allowing some areas to become grey areas and its getting hard to work out at times who they are trying to aim for

NCL does have minimum standards for dress code - - from their FAQ link posted above

"We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants"

NCL does have minimum standards for dress code - - from their FAQ link posted above

"We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants"

Unfortunately it is not enforced. The dress code is from one extreme to another. Our last cruise on the Epic people came in for dinner in baggy denim shorts, baseball caps, flip flops, I think they are called basketball shirts with no sleeves. Fine for the pool or buffet however for dinner please make some kind of effort!

Unfortunately it is not enforced. The dress code is from one extreme to another. Our last cruise on the Epic people came in for dinner in baggy denim shorts, baseball caps, flip flops, I think they are called basketball shirts with no sleeves. Fine for the pool or buffet however for dinner please make some kind of effort!

We've been on 14 cruises with NCL, twice on the Epic. I never noticed anyone dressed as described above in either the main dining room or Le Bistro. Not saying it didn't, doesn't, happen but don't think it is very common.

We've been on 14 cruises with NCL, twice on the Epic. I never noticed anyone dressed as described above in either the main dining room or Le Bistro. Not saying it didn't, doesn't, happen but don't think it is very common.

It wasn't many in the main dining room, just a few and I was surprised they were allowed in with no question. I like the informality of NCL and the freestyle which is why it is our favorite cruise line. I do think they should enforce the dress code.

Lucked out. I have a golf hat not a baseball one. :)