What is your favorite NCL ship?

Tom Graphy

I've only traveled on the Epic, GA, BA and soon Escape. Before that, I was Diamond on RCCL, but when my kids all grew up, I needed the studio cabin. For me, once I upgraded to new ships, it's been difficult to go backwards. Plus, I now have a great PCC and rarely stay in a studio anymore!

The entertainment on the new ships is far superior to the college singers and dancers and third rate comics and magicians on older ships. Plus, the food in the speciality restaurants on new ships is also far superior to MDR. I used to love the slides on newer ships, but now I purchase a pass for Vibe. Like OP said, the ports have just become a bonus in the Caribbean...it's all about the ship!

Spirit and Sun were my favorites, probably because of the ports but I do intend to sail them again. Been on BA and Gem twice, with two more booked for the Gem, since we are close to NYC. Liked them both, but the Sun and Spirit have a classic feel to them, plus ports we have never visited. Seeing the new cruises available, we intend to sail the Star.

Interesting responses which shows that we all have our preferences for different reasons...We have been on the Jewel which we loved, great ship...The Dawn, which was very good...The Sun which we did not care for...The Pearl which is another terrific ship...That being said, the crew, the food and the itineraries help us to decide, "favorite" or not...We have come to realize that the "itinerary" for us is the most important factor when booking any cruise, then the "ship"...We have been lucky so far, being able to match where we wish to go with the right ships...Jade is up next for us in Jan 2017, a re-scheduled cruise from an Oct 2016 Star cancelled cruise...

Our first 4 cruises were all in a Mini suite, our next cruise is in an Aft facing Penthouse so I'm sure we'll have a different opinion this next time out...

All in all, we would rather be on a cruise than not, doing what we want to do...I have not had a bad cruise with NCL...

Rob

All the NCL ships in their fleet have plusses and minuses. I have to agree wholeheartedly with a previous poster; whatever NCL ship DW & I are on is our fave...lol

I'd have to place the Gem first, based on how many times we've been aboard her plus we took our 30th wedding anniversary cruise aboard the Gem a month after she was first launched in 2007. Sentimental.

The Spirit is a nice older ship that has a unique layout compared to the other NCL ships we've been on. It's big enough to have a lot of stuff to do but small enough so it has that cozy feel to it.

We're not big fans of the Dawn even though she was the first NCL ship we ever sailed on & got hooked on NCL as a result! She doesn't seem to have aged well but in all fairness we haven't been aboard her lately.

The Breakaway is amazing!! DW was worried when we first sailed on her that she would be TOO big, based on our previous experiences aboard the Gem, etc. After 3 days, however, DW just fell in love with the Breakaway.

So in answer to the OP, any NCL ship is great if you find yourself aboard! We're looking forward to going on the Jade next month!

Tom

I tend to sail for the ports rather than the ship itself. Having said that there is still things to consider when choosing where the ship does figure.

We didn't enjoy the Epic that much but would still sail again if the itinerary was right. The big downside is the location of elevators. No central elevator banks so it is usually a very long walk to where you want to be. Walking is becoming a problem for me as time passes by. Eventually I can look forwards to some nice shiny new knees and hips but not for a few years yet I hope. Another thing I didn't like was the lack of a promenade deck and the lack of connection with the sea. Mainly because of the elevator and walking issues I choose not to sail these larger ships and the itineraries don't interest me much either. Sailing with my husband the bathroom was not an issue but I wouldn't take my sister unless we got studios and then we would have issues with them being interior cabins. Not a deal breaker but it would have to be somewhere special to get us onboard. I may consider Getaway, Breakaway, Escape, Bliss if the itinerary is excellent and it is in the off season so less families and family groups. We don't need all the entertainment options, activities like ropes, webs and planks but would probably like the restaurant options they have.

I love the Jewel class ships. I have sailed Jade and Pearl a few times and I really like their layout. I really like the outdoor area on the aft of these ships and there is good amounts of outdoor space on deck 12 and above for just sitting or lounging with a drink. Jade is now off my radar due to intinerary not being of much interest to me and the pearl is also not going anywhere that excites me either. I would be happy to try the Gem if it continues to do some quite interesting runs in the Carribean in winter from San Juan.

I have sailed on Spirit many times in Europe and love the ship and love the crew but having done the itineraries a few times it is off my radar until 2017 when it is going to some quite interesting places. It is a beautiful smaller ship which means less crowds (not no crowds at all as it has it's moments) and a decent layout with plenty of outdoor deck space up top and a nice promenade deck below. It lacks a wide choice of restaurants.

I enjoyed the Sun and have another cruise booked on her in 2017. The forward observation lounge is a real gem of a place to be. Downside on the Sun is the shower curtains in the bathroom. I hate shower curtains with a vengeance. Nothing else really stood out for me on this ship but it does have a nice area on the aft to enjoy a drink and even bring food to..

Having first sailed on the Star in 2008 we recently went back again. I still really enjoy the ship but the loss of the Spinnaker lounge was quite a big thing. When we went to Alaska it was a great place to go and enjoy the scenery in the warm with a drink. I liked the promenade deck this time around for sitting and gazing instead. Based on itinaray I think we will sail on the Star a few times over the next few years. There are plenty of nice places on board so I am sure we will be happy going back again.

I am sailing on Dawn next spring and hope it will be a lot like the Star. It sounds like it will be so I will reserve judgement until I have been on board for a few days.

So all in all I like ships with an aft eating a drinking area, a promenade deck and a layout that is easy to navigate from A to B. I don't like ships with too many people and shower curtains. I like restaurant and food options and a slightly quieter atmosphere.

Loved the Jade--the Hawaiian theme on a Med cruise is great! Been on the Pearl the most (and it is next up into the Canal). All the Jewel class ships are great, but those two are my favorite.

Loved the Sun's observation deck...that's an awesome feature, but those showers are horrible.

Have sailed on Epic, Star and Sky.

Hands down my favorite is Sky.

Nice layout and had plenty to offer. The best crew of all 3 as well.

Epic was ok, but didn't care for the layout and also seemed rather impersonal. Most stable of all 3 I have been on. Didn't feel the motion of the sea not once.

Star was ok too. Seemed a bit dated and rough around the edges.

But still all 3 were nice cruises. Best salmon was on Star.

Best buffet on Epic.

Having only sailed on Dawn, Star, Gem and Epic (with returns to Dawn and Star booked for next year) I would say I love all of them except Epic. And it was ok, I would go on it again if the price and situation was right, but it is not my favorite. Would like to try one of the aways before too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've sailed on all the ships in the fleet, except PoA.

My favorite is ESCAPE. On November 9th, my favorite will become the SUN.

My favorite ship is always the one which is next-up, because I'm looking forward to it.

Stephen

Our first NCL cruise was on the Crown..it was nice..but past its prime (retired it the next year) ..but nice size....since then on Jewel class ...great ships...Not planning on going "bigger"--with BA,etc...as of now...just don't like crowds! :o

(Oh-on Dawn once...ok--but really like Jewel class !) Right now...Gem is my favorite...since it leaves out of NYC AND the staff is just fabulous)

Edited by jaja

So what is your favorite NCL ship and why? Do you like the smaller more intimate ships, or do you go for features galore on the latest and largest?

I have only been on sun class ships, but can't wait to try out some new ones soon!

Any of the Jewel class ships: Jewel, Jade, Pearl, Gem.

Besides liking the smaller ships we like those with the Bridge viewing window,

Great Outdoors, scenic windows in library, Spinnaker lounge in bow.

We like the layout of the buffet too.

The Sun is also a favorite ship since not only does it have the Great Outdoors and the Spinnaker lounge in the bow but it also has an outdoor viewing area in front of the Spinnaker lounge. A wonderful place for photo ops.

We've beeon on the Jewel twice, Sun, twice and Star and are looking forward to a long cruise on the Jade.

I think my favorite has to be the Sun. It was our first "freestyle" cruising, so holds a special meaning for us. I cruised her the first time with my daughter. We repeated a few years later and hubby and I did a 10 day cruise on the Sun a few years ago. My next favorite is the Jewel. We were on her first sailing; starting in Dover and ending up in NYC. We are sailing her again next month. There have been a few other NCL ships that are no longer part of the fleet we have enjoyed. I can't think of any we would not want to sail again. I have to say we haven't been on any of the larger ones and am not sure we ever will. We did do a mega sailing on Princess a few years ago: it wasn't for us.

We have sailed the Majesty, Sea' Dream. sun, Star, Spirit, Jewel, Pearl, POA. Our favorite is the Sun. Love the layout, Great Outdoors, large cabins. There was a unique feature on the Dream that we miss - she could "flip her lid", meaning her stack was hinged and could fold down, allowing her to clear low bridges. We took her on our first Baltic cruise and it allowed us to sail the Kiel Canal, which was a beautiful sailing and my first experience with locks.

She also had OV cabins with windows extending to the floor, which gave you a balcony like view. Buts head a very peculiar layout from having been stretched.

I like the Jewel,easy to get around, the spa is the perfect spot for viewing glaciers is the weather is rough.

We haven't sailed the larger ships, as it is just not our thing. But any ship that takes me out to sea, is just fine with me.

.... Hated the Epic. Will never sail on her ever again.

I loved the Epic and we had one of the standard bathrooms every time we sailed her.....three times. I actually really enjoyed the bathroom set up with the opaque glass in the toilet room and the shower room. There was natural light streaming through those spaces during the say so it felt like there were windows in those areas.

Epic is one of a kind and I will always have fond memories sailing on that ship.