Visa Requirements / Essential Documentation

Freckles83

My husband and I are booked on an upcoming B2B cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam commencing on November 15th 2015. The itinerary hits the following ports ...

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

George Town, Cayman Islands

Cozumel, Mexico

Key West, Florida

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

San Juan, Puerto Rico

St. Thomas, U.S.V.I

My question is, aside from a passport, government photo issue ID, and boarding passes are there any other types of documentation required? We are both Canadian citizens.

Are there any other Canadians out there that have taken this same (or a similar) type of itinerary and would know first hand from recent experience?

Ive been to most of these ports in the last few years except for Cozumel but I just thought id pose the question to the knowledgeable people on CC for some help.

I appreciate your help :)

I'm not doing this cruise but check out travel.gc.ca. It is the government website where you find travel advisories, passport and visa info and all things travel related. Under the section titled country travel advice and advisories there is a drop down. Select each country you are travelling to. Press go. You will have another option for drop downs. Select entry/ exit requirements. It will tell you what you need to know.

Edited by chefestelle

Hi Freckles. We did the western leg on the NA in February and enjoyed both the itinerary and the ship. In fact, the NA is our favourite HAL ship to date. We've not been to San Juan, but have visited the other eastern leg ports on other cruises.

You won't need any additional documentation, what you mention is fine. I regularly visit http://travel.gc.ca to keep abreast of changing requirements, something I recommend for all Canadian travellers.

I hope you have a great time!

EDIT: I see we use the same source Chefestelle :)

Edited by Fouremco

Yes, thank you for that! As soon as i posted this I just double checked on that website and it had a lot of helpful info.

There were a few other visa requirement websites i checked as well as so far as i can tell there aren't any additional visa requirements but I just thought id pick the brains of the very knowledgeable cruisers on here.

Thanks for the responses :)

Excited to try out the NA, we've sailed a similar itinerary two years ago on the Eurodam and had the time of our lives so I'm super pumped to take this trip.

Hi Freckles. We did the western leg on the NA in February and enjoyed both the itinerary and the ship. In fact, the NA is our favourite HAL ship to date. We've not been to San Juan, but have visited the other eastern leg ports on other cruises.

You won't need any additional documentation, what you mention is fine. I regularly visit http://travel.gc.ca to keep abreast of changing requirements, something I recommend for all Canadian travellers.

[emoji2]I even used their link to confirm the cruise visa requirements directly with the Turkish embassy. Disclaimers make me nervous!

As Canadians, we have been to all of the ports on your itinerary on cruises and only needed our Canadian passports. It helps to bring additional photo ID - a driver's licence will suffice, but you won't require any visas.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

As Canadians, we have been to all of the ports on your itinerary on cruises and only needed our Canadian passports. It helps to bring additional photo ID - a driver's licence will suffice, but you won't require any visas.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

ditto :)

Thank you everyone for the reassurance! My biggest fear is getting to the pier and being turned away over something like that. It would be beyond devastating. Id be on the ground rolling around pulling my hair out and balling like a baby .. no one needs to see that. :D

For United States Citizens - go to

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/americans-traveling-abroad.html

Input the Country or region you might be visiting - this will tell you if you need a Visa and most importantly how many REMAINING months you need on your passport BOTH BEFORE & AFTER you DEPART! The "AFTER DEPARTURE" is what catches most travelers by surprise because it is not uniform throughout the world!!!!

We did a similar cruise in 2008 . didn't require any visa's.

Not trying to be snarky here, but you don't want to know how many people are denied boarding on a plane with this exact same explanation. It's not because you (didn't) require a visa for a certain destination the last time you've visited it, the same thing goes for today.

Rules regarding travel documents change constantly, therefore you should always check an official source.

For United States Citizens - go to

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/americans-traveling-abroad.html

Input the Country or region you might be visiting - this will tell you if you need a Visa and most importantly how many REMAINING months you need on your passport BOTH BEFORE & AFTER you DEPART! The "AFTER DEPARTURE" is what catches most travelers by surprise because it is not uniform throughout the world!!!!

Absolutely! I flew from New Orleans to Frankfurt with no problems

, only to be denied boarding for my flight to Prague because my passport expired in 177 days. Oh, well, we spent a lovely two weeks in a B&B on the Main River, but it would have been disastrous if we were in our way to a river cruise.

... Rules regarding travel documents change constantly, therefore you should always check an official source.

Excellent post - as good as the CC info/advice may be, it is not infallible, nor is it always up to date. As such, anyone who is traveling to a foreign country should definitely check her/his own country's official web site.