Princess Cruise Consultant

Cruiser-66

I most always book my own cruises on line. I had a bad experience in the past with TA's. Lately I've had one of princess cruises personal consultants email me and want me to book through her. I would think this would be safer than a TA, but again she's not saving me anything and I don't really need her help. What's your thinking?

I most always book my own cruises on line. I had a bad experience in the past with TA's. Lately I've had one of princess cruises personal consultants email me and want me to book through her. I would think this would be safer than a TA, but again she's not saving me anything and I don't really need her help. What's your thinking?

We have seen a few PCP people come and go. They don't stay long and seem to move on quite often.

Other then control over your booking there is no advantage to booking with Princess, planner or otherwise.

I don't look at booking direct with Princess any safer then booking with a reputable TA.

Best to get the discounted fare through a TA.

Colo Cruiser---- you are very fortunate to have a good TA you can trust. I've tried a couple and found them either unavailable when the price goes down or unable to help me out. I'm always the one watching for a special and when I found it my hands were tied!

I've never been impressed with the Princess consultants [order takers] - lots of email, but nothing that I couldn't book on my own. Once I booked with a real TA, the email stopped. Got a much better prices using a cruise TA, one who knows my interests and cruise plans.

Darcy

Colo Cruiser---- you are very fortunate to have a good TA you can trust. I've tried a couple and found them either unavailable when the price goes down or unable to help me out. I'm always the one watching for a special and when I found it my hands were tied!

I had a similar experience with a local TA --was not even informed of major flight changes. I should have asked what service they provided. Fortunately I watched for sales and had them make the changes. They never did inform me of the flight changes!

Never used a TA since.

Edited by Alaskanb

Luv 2 Cruz ~ I had this problem with my first cruise. I went on the Princess site to find a "Commodore Certified Travel Agent" but I was the one doing all the work. In addition we didn't receive any type of thank you. After reading through all the posts regarding great "perks" of having a TA I asked one of the members who they use. Now I get great deals/perks too! I do watch Princess for deals (through Princess emails) and then go out and create a "mock" reservation. If I find I can save money I contact my TA and have always gotten quick responses with re-faring. On our last cruise I had a $ 500 OBC because we had made final payment early (this was our choice). I hope you can find a good TA to use.

While I am sure everyone has a different experience I have used a few Travel Agents in Sydney and never once have I received anything from them in the way of benefits. The only positive thing I would say about them is that they can assist with visas if necessary. The only time I received a reduced cruise price was when I initiated it by informing the TA the prices had been reduced.:)

While I am sure everyone has a different experience I have used a few Travel Agents in Sydney and never once have I received anything from them in the way of benefits. The only positive thing I would say about them is that they can assist with visas if necessary. The only time I received a reduced cruise price was when I initiated it by informing the TA the prices had been reduced.:)

Then what is the point of their existence? May as well book direct with Princess.

Then what is the point of their existence? May as well book direct with Princess.

Exactly.

Never known an agent here to give anything more than a lanyard.

Suck refunds MAY not even be legal, it's pretty complicated and I have not really studied it.

I agree and now go direct to Princess unless I feel there is some assistance they can give me which in the past has been extremely limited.:)

I agree and now go direct to Princess unless I feel there is some assistance they can give me which in the past has been extremely limited.:)

I book with a discount TA that saves me 12-15% over Princess fares.

I have never had a problem and often received specialty dinners, bottles of wine etc on top of the discounted fare.

If one books a higher category cabin this can amount to quite a sum of money. If you are happy with an inside the savings may be minimal.

Mike:)

We have used the same Princess Cruise consultant for the past several years. She has gone to bat for us on several cruises and worked very hard to secure a cabin we desired for a TA cruise. She always returns calls and emails and we have prices for our next 2 cruises that are well below on line prices with some benefits.

10 day Caribbean on Royal (balcony) with free gratuities in Nov for a little over $800 p/p and a 7 day balcony on regal in Jan for a little over $700.

Have used an on line cruise consult in the past for about 10 years and she did a wonderful job for us but she left and never found a new one quite as accommodating.

For me, I like being in control and do all my own trip planning and booking as much as possible.

The point of their existence to me is to get a lower fare and OBC that I cannot get myself since I am not a registered TA and if Princess is not offering that pricing. But I still manage the whole thing and give detail direction to TA re: the booking. I also keep on top of it post-booking.

The Internet has made TAs obsolete for people who have enough experience to know what they want when booking cruises, hotels, airline flights, etc.

Those who do not feel confident in booking these kind of things on their own should probably locate a local TA that they can sit down with and discuss wants and options.

As for Princess cruise bookings, there are two good reasons to use a reliable (discount) TA.

o Better pricing including discounts and amenities that a TA can get with volume bookings.

o Someone to go to bat for you when there is a problem.

I book with a discount TA that saves me 12-15% over Princess fares.

I have never had a problem and often received specialty dinners, bottles of wine etc on top of the discounted fare.

If one books a higher category cabin this can amount to quite a sum of money. If you are happy with an inside the savings may be minimal.

Mike:)

My 2016 tour/cruise date to Alaska now has the 3 for free promotion attached. My original booking was completed within a week of the 2016 open booking date and my total cost is less than the fare advertised now (my TA offered me the exact fare listed on the internet without any additional TA credits). Even when you add in the savings of gratuities and a specialty dinner it's still less (I currently have a B2 balcony) so, of course, I would not switch out the reservations if I could not get the same lower fare, but... when I asked about it my TA just responded that we would have to "refare" to the current rate.

Has anyone's TA been able to add on a promotion after you booked, but keep that original booking cost?

I recently booked 7 day Mexico with Princess to get the current offers. Then I called my TA to take over the booking. The TA reduced the fare by $169 plus gave us $50 additional OBC. Nothing changes but the lower rate and additional OBC. That's $219 in my pocket. Princess is happy, I'm happy and the TA is happy.

What's not to like?

For me, I like being in control and do all my own trip planning and booking as much as possible.

The point of their existence to me is to get a lower fare and OBC that I cannot get myself since I am not a registered TA and if Princess is not offering that pricing. But I still manage the whole thing and give detail direction to TA re: the booking. I also keep on top of it post-booking.

You missed the fact that that posters TA is in Australia not in the US or Canada.

For her its the same as booking direct with Princess, no discount.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

You missed the fact that that posters TA is in Australia not in the US or Canada.

For her its the same as booking direct with Princess, no discount.

Yes, you are right, Keith - and I did know that. (My limited experience in pinging TA's in Ontario is much the same - nothing better than Princess).

I was just offering my opinion in general. But I guess following the quote back it might have been misleading. Oh well. Can't get them all right, huh?:cool:

So, IMO they are good for nothing in the case mentioned - unless one is just inexperienced or not interested in making their own travel arrangements. But in that case how does such a person look out for their best interests? Oh, I wax on. 'Nuf said.

Edited by steelers36