Earliest Flight Suggestion

junglecat

I find that is is best to book a flight according to the suggestions that Carnival has posted. If you get to the airport earlier, you can try for a standby on an earlier flight. If you don't get the standby, you still get home with no extra cost. However, if you miss the flight that you booked earlier than recommended, you will face some costs and the possibility of sitting in the airport for many hours trying to get standby on an earlier flight than the 10:00pm flight that was the only one with open seats.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

I've been off the ship at 8am.

You WILL need to self disembark and have your transportation arranged. You HAVE to be at FLL by 9:45a.

Equal chance to make or miss flight. What time does the cruiseline recommend?

Verify ALL the details of the flight tickets you booked, and do not expect to get out the same day if you miss this flight. Verify any insurance you may have as well, as it may be void due to this timing?

Remember too that what time the ship is cleared for disembarking is determined by US Customs and port officials ... not CCL. Sometimes that's later than expected but of no fault of CCL.

There was a review on another thread where one of the things the poster was ticked off about was that even though the ship was docked at 7ish they couldn't disembark until a good while later.:cool:

What is the earliest you can disembark in Miami? Having second thoughts after booking our 10:45 flight from FLL. If we self, disembark, which we've never done, our DD says we'll be fine. YIKES, I'm nervous now that's it might be too late. :eek:

If you were flying out of MIA, I would give you a 50/50 chance of making it on time with self disembark. By going the longer distance to FLL, odds are stronger that you won't make your flight.

As a frequent flyer and regular cruiser, I agree with others that 10:45am is too early by about an hour. Yes you might make it to FLL on time, but it is not worth the stress. Please remember that flights begin boarding 30 minutes before the flight time, and they close the doors 10 minutes prior.

The earliest I would ever consider is 11:30am for a FLL flight after a Miami docking.

As a frequent flyer and regular cruiser, I agree with others that 10:45am is too early by about an hour. Yes you might make it to FLL on time, but it is not worth the stress. Please remember that flights begin boarding 30 minutes before the flight time, and they close the doors 10 minutes prior.

The earliest I would ever consider is 11:30am for a FLL flight after a Miami docking.

What's the earliest MIA you've done since it's a lot closer?

Also, you need to factor in different events in the area. We got off a ship once in Miami the day of a marathon and everything was backed up. Taxis and other transportation couldn't get there in a timely manner and it took forever to get to the airport.

What's the earliest MIA you've done since it's a lot closer?

I usually book an MIA to NY flight for 11AM. I can do either self disembark or Zone 1 Platinum to get off the ship and then cab it to MIA. At MIA, I can use the business/1st class line at American for check in and to see if there is space on an earlier flight that I can switch to at no cost - a perk for having redeemed over 2 million freq flyer miles. For security, I am allowed to use the TSA pre check line as a known global entry flyer.

I've been on a plane to NY by 10:20AM.

I don't suggest you try this unless you meet the special requirements above. As they say, YMMV.

Edited by evandbob

Yikes.. I am sorry to add to any fears but our ship was docked before 7a but we were not allowed to disembark until after 8:40 sometime. No joke. This was the first time I had ever experienced it to take so long. And that is when disembarking started. It was crazy. :( so unfortunately I really think you might want to try to get a later flight. I'm sorry! :(

FLL airport is 50 minutes by bus in the fast lane.... we were just there a few weeks ago. Our transfer bus drove fast the whole way, too. No way I would risk it.

Remember you are supposed to check in with your bags at least 30 minutes prior to flight time for security. And the lines can be long at checkin desks and at TSA scanner machines.