Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

Most things that upset passengers are usually started by cost cutting. Someone will have worked it out that by starting later staff at check in will be paid less ... Fewer people on the ship for lunch ... Save .. Save ... Passengers buying more refreshments in the terminal ... Someone will have added the pennies up to make pounds .... We have Caribbean loyalty tier but have done our last cruise with P&O. This embarkation nonsense just shows the company in yet another poor light. I'm surprised they haven't started sailing so late no one has to board until the restaurants have closed. Better not give them any more ideas.

I think you are correct about costcutting. P&O are unlikely to have changed to a process that would cost them more money 😉

Yes there is. We embarked from Mayflower on September 10th. Instead of checking in downstairs, we went to a new area (well to me) upstairs and were given a card with a letter on it. We sat down with loads of others for about 15 minutes, then our letter was called.

There was a snack bar up there and toilets.

We arrived about 1.30.

Jean

Most things that upset passengers are usually started by cost cutting. Someone will have worked it out that by starting later staff at check in will be paid less ... Fewer people on the ship for lunch ... Save .. Save ... Passengers buying more refreshments in the terminal ... Someone will have added the pennies up to make pounds .... We have Caribbean loyalty tier but have done our last cruise with P&O. This embarkation nonsense just shows the company in yet another poor light. I'm surprised they haven't started sailing so late no one has to board until the restaurants have closed. Better not give them any more ideas.

We feel the same, we are also Caribbean tier and have one cruise booked with P&O that is almost a last chance for them to impress us. We have not cruised much with them lately and have found other cruise lines provide a better product. We think that the dining business with the late fares and now this embarkation nonsense that they are losing it. I think if our next cruise with them doesn't impress it may well be our last.

Edited by bee-ess

I have already posted this on the "Caribbean Tier" thread and referred to it on this thread but no one has commented so I can only assume none bothers to read my posts.....:( as i thought it might help....? And stop Caribbean tier members moaning...? Hasn't worked so far....

It is obvious that PandO are updating their FAQ's at the moment. I know this refers to Britannia but would assume it applies to other ships too.

I don't know if this muddies or clarifies the issue for Caribbean members but have just read this on P & Os FAQ.....

Q. What are Britannia's new embarkation timings?

A. We ask that passengers adhere to the check-in times provided on your E-Ticket to ensure a smooth boarding process. We are pleased to confirm that members of the Caribbean, Baltic and Ligurian tiers of our Peninsular Club and Suite passengers have the benefit of priority or early embarkation and are welcome to check-in from when the desk opens, you will then be boarded at the earliest opportunity.

To me this would suggest that you can still arrive and board early :confused:

Edited by Mysticalmother

I have already posted this on the "Caribbean Tier" thread and referred to it on this thread but no one has commented so I can only assume none bothers to read my posts.....:( as i thought it might help....? And stop Caribbean tier members moaning...? Hasn't worked so far....

It is obvious that PandO are updating their FAQ's at the moment. I know this refers to Britannia but would assume it applies to other ships too.

I don't know if this muddies or clarifies the issue for Caribbean members but have just read this on P & Os FAQ.....

Q. What are Britannia's new embarkation timings?

A. We ask that passengers adhere to the check-in times provided on your E-Ticket to ensure a smooth boarding process. We are pleased to confirm that members of the Caribbean, Baltic and Ligurian tiers of our Peninsular Club and Suite passengers have the benefit of priority or early embarkation and are welcome to check-in from when the desk opens, you will then be boarded at the earliest opportunity.

To me this would suggest that you can still arrive and board early :confused:

I agree, it looks as though Caribbean + still get "early embarkation". I would imagine this applies to all ships. If checkin opens at 12.45 then they should be on around 1pm. Its the rest of us that are stuck with the late embarkation times 😢

Maybe P&O don't want to be loyal, after all new cruisers spend more, book early, book more excursions, spend more onboard and don't know the ins and outs until it too late..[emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And they don't have to give new cruisers 8.5% or 10% back on their on board spend

Blimey, this roles on and on doesn't it? If y'all don't like why don't you just book a fly cruise? Southampton cruises not that great - 2 days of mediocre/terrible weather each way plus for those of us who live far away, a ghastly coach journey or a drive and an overnight stay. Get on a plane, arrive in sunshine, transfer to ship, job done.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Not for me. Give me Southampton any time. Nice drive to the port. Someone takes your bags, someone else takes your car, you're on board in half an hour and the holiday begins. I enjoy the first two days at sea enormously. wouldn't fly these days thanks :-)

Actually a 3 pm checkin wouldn't bother us at all. We would just leave as bit later.

Edited by jeanlyon

Blimey, this roles on and on doesn't it? If y'all don't like why don't you just book a fly cruise? Southampton cruises not that great - 2 days of mediocre/terrible weather each way plus for those of us who live far away, a ghastly coach journey or a drive and an overnight stay. Get on a plane, arrive in sunshine, transfer to ship, job done.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I would never do a fly cruise. Other than the obvious reasons: air-traffic controller disputes, hanging around noisy airports for hours, disproportionately expensive parking, limited to what you can take with you, feeling of claustrophobia. I hate flying and the last time I flew (20+ years ago) I was so hysterical on the way out, I had to come home overland.

Cruising from Southampton has opened up the world to us. We have a leisurely journey down by train the day before, watching videos and reading. When we waken up in the morning, we can take a short walk and see the ship. We then get onbaord with the knowledge that we're going to be able to relax completely thinking about nothing as we sail to our first port. Till now our experiences at Southampton have been great: short wait, speedy embarkation... the holiday has started. It's a shame P&O decided to change what has been for the majority of cruisers a happy experience.

BTW, it is NOT about a free lunch as many people have said. There is food 24/7 onboard so why would I worry about missing a buffet salad?

Edited by tartanexile81

But you are only talking about a maximum difference of 3 hours? seems a hell of a fuss about nothing. Our last tickets were for 1.30 checkin, the time before that we got 2pm. And we are only in an inside cabin. We did once have a 3pm, but it changed the day before.

Edited by jeanlyon

I was going to comment that I couldn’t believe this was still rumbling on … but I can.

It would seem to me that P&O are not helping themselves but I don’t think they will ever please everyone. Even if customers were able to select their preferred boarding time at some stage in the process, my guess would be that many would ignore it if they couldn’t get the time they desired.

Until they come up with something better my suggestion would be that after a short period of time for “priority boarders” when no one else would be admitted to the terminal complex to clog up the system, they try doing away with allocating times altogether and let everyone turn up whenever was convenient.

My thinking is that this should please everyone. Those in no rush would arrive later when undoubtedly it would be quieter whereas those who have to board early would be free to join the queue to do so. Obviously it would be very busy early on and there would be delays but no one should complain as after all they are arriving when they want to (which is I gather what they want) but so would be everyone else irrespective of how far they live away or their previous night’s sleeping arrangements.

But seriously, it just seems to me to be rather silly to allocate times and not enforce them. So either stick to them (allocated or chosen by customer) or stop doing it.

Not for me. Give me Southampton any time. Nice drive to the port. Someone takes your bags, someone else takes your car, you're on board in half an hour and the holiday begins. I enjoy the first two days at sea enormously. wouldn't fly these days thanks :-)

Actually a 3 pm checkin wouldn't bother us at all. We would just leave as bit later.

I enjoy sailing from Southampton as I feel the holiday starts as soon as you board but never felt like that when flying. Having a morning flight, transfer to resort etc takes up most of the day.

Yes there is. We embarked from Mayflower on September 10th. Instead of checking in downstairs, we went to a new area (well to me) upstairs and were given a card with a letter on it. We sat down with loads of others for about 15 minutes, then our letter was called.

There was a snack bar up there and toilets.

We arrived about 1.30.

Jean

Have you any idea what the snack bar sells as we are sailing from here next week.

Last weekend, we had a very nice lunch at a pub just inside the old walls of Southampton from where we could see the port, which was so much nicer than waiting inside the terminal for anyone who has hours to kill before being allowed to embark.

BTW, it is NOT about a free lunch as many people have said. There is food 24/7 onboard so why would I worry about missing a buffet salad?

Nothing wrong with it being about a free lunch. You've paid for say a 14 night cruise and should be entitled to 14 breakfasts, 14 dinners and 14 lunches.

Nothing wrong with it being about a free lunch. You've paid for say a 14 night cruise and should be entitled to 14 breakfasts, 14 dinners and 14 lunches.

I disagree. You have paid for 14 nights on board and that is what you get.

Go on a cheap package holiday for 14 nights and that can be arrive at 2300 hrs ...and leave at 0600 hrs....you get 14 nights.......

I'm sure that's not true. It's certainly not what I've ever expected and I've never seen it in the small print.

Edited by tartanexile81

I'm sure that's not true. It's certainly not what I've ever expected and I've never seen it in the small print.

Of course it isn't in the small print but it is what those who cruised from Southampton previously would have enjoyed. Why not expect it, the US cruise lines give it to you.

You will still get your lunch albeit later in the afternoon according to the statement from Christpher Edgington:-

"having all cabins ready earlier than ever before and

serving lunch throughout the afternoon until embarkation is complete."

My final word on this subject. Further extracts from Christopher Edgingtons statement:-

"I know from speaking with many of you that you like to arrive early or travel arrangements mean you have to arrive early and you can continue to do so."

"In the past it has not been unusual for some people to arrive up to seven hours earlier than invited, and whilst we will continue to check-in and embark these guests early, it would be unfair for those who arrive at the time we ask, to be put to the back of the queue."

So we can still arrive early if we have to, we will just need to wait longer, but not necessarily until our allocated boarding time.

I hope you all enjoy your cruises, I know I will 😊

Sue x

You will still get your lunch albeit later in the afternoon according to the statement from Christpher Edgington:-

"having all cabins ready earlier than ever before and

serving lunch throughout the afternoon until embarkation is complete."

So you board at 3.30 and Muster is at 4.30. That's either a rushed lunch or a very late lunch. Not sure why anyone is suggesting the changes are to benefit passengers. Sure some may be accepting of it but on the whole P&O are removing yet another part of the cruise experience. Seriously try a US line, we've been onboard by 10.30 at Southampton. No priority boarding, just regular passengers turning up and boarding. Do P&O not try out their competition and realise that they themselves are stepping backwards? How can this be progress?

Edited by kevinyork

My final word on this subject. Further extracts from Christopher Edgingtons statement:-

"I know from speaking with many of you that you like to arrive early or travel arrangements mean you have to arrive early and you can continue to do so."

"In the past it has not been unusual for some people to arrive up to seven hours earlier than invited, and whilst we will continue to check-in and embark these guests early, it would be unfair for those who arrive at the time we ask, to be put to the back of the queue."

So we can still arrive early if we have to, we will just need to wait longer, but not necessarily until our allocated boarding time.

I hope you all enjoy your cruises, I know I will

Sue x

A bit of sense here, thanks,

.... but I still think that booking your boarding time like you book a cabin would work well ......... may take some setting up but it would work well????

Comes as a perk for a Select Fare and anyone on a Saver takes their chance.

Is it me or is this just so simple to sort????????????????:confused:

A bit of sense here, thanks,

.... but I still think that booking your boarding time like you book a cabin would work well ......... may take some setting up but it would work well????

Comes as a perk for a Select Fare and anyone on a Saver takes their chance.

Is it me or is this just so simple to sort????????????????:confused:

As has been said many times, if other cruiselines can get it right why can't P and O.:eek: