Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

With the larger ships now using Southampton is this something that will evolve over time.

If you have a time to embark, either chosen by you or the cruise line you HAVE to stick with it.

Agree with all those that are trying to get the point across that you have to have some sort of organisation about embarking, and before people post there is no organisation, there would be if people stuck to their times.

They do not suddenly stop serving lunch in the buffet at a given time, it just changes a bit what is on offer (still hot choices if I remember correctly).So those who HAVE to get on board early to eat, there will still be food on offer, when ever you board.

Hotels-well that has been covered numerous times in this thread.

Coaches manage to turn up in their slots, if they can , why cannot car drivers..

As more of the i'll get there hours before are left in the terminal, while those that stick to their time breeze through, maybe the former will start rethinking things.

Just checked the website of the Grand Harbour Hotel and it says the prices are from £30 per person. Some increase in such a short time.

Yes, you are correct. I phoned and asked them a few days prior to this, when the website said nothing about the cost. I am wondering if it has been increased for the duration of the Southampton Boat Show. The new price is ridiculous but you could live with it if it included parking for the boat show! Britannia had signs up; after the latest two nighter, on some cabins "Show Cabin". Have to check after the show.

Regards John

But Kevin the rest of them will do exactly the same from April next year. I am already hearing reports of this. So Royal will do it and Celebrity. And Cunard and Princess. I cannot see why you would stop cruising with any company just because of this.

Dai but Celebrity, and I suspect RCI too as they are part of the same company, already ask you what time you think you will arrive and what time you wish to disembark, so will be no different for them. RCI do check in on line and it all saves time at the terminal. We have never had such a smooth embarkation or disemarkation as we did with celebrity, it was brilliant and if they can do it why can't p&o?

With the larger ships now using Southampton is this something that will evolve over time.

If you have a time to embark, either chosen by you or the cruise line you HAVE to stick with it.

Agree with all those that are trying to get the point across that you have to have some sort of organisation about embarking, and before people post there is no organisation, there would be if people stuck to their times.

They do not suddenly stop serving lunch in the buffet at a given time, it just changes a bit what is on offer (still hot choices if I remember correctly).So those who HAVE to get on board early to eat, there will still be food on offer, when ever you board.

Hotels-well that has been covered numerous times in this thread.

Coaches manage to turn up in their slots, if they can , why cannot car drivers..

As more of the i'll get there hours before are left in the terminal, while those that stick to their time breeze through, maybe the former will start rethinking things.

I think it is more if you are given a 3.30 boarding, presumably it will take at least 1/4 hour to get to cabin, you aren't going to have time to unpack before muster drill, let alone time to grab a cup of tea and a bite. Let alone if you are on first sitting you will end up unpacking late in the evening.

Apart from the worry of, as you say, arriving in your time slot, it would concern me as the ship could be sailing an hour after your slot. I would therefore make sure I got there earlier. The A34 is really bad for traffic hold ups, I know as we travel it frequently to get to my Daughter who is 1 1/2 hours from us but it sometimes takes 3 hours or more. We would therefore add at least 2 hours to our journey just in case.

I think it is more if you are given a 3.30 boarding, presumably it will take at least 1/4 hour to get to cabin, you aren't going to have time to unpack before muster drill, let alone time to grab a cup of tea and a bite. Let alone if you are on first sitting you will end up unpacking late in the evening.

Apart from the worry of, as you say, arriving in your time slot, it would concern me as the ship could be sailing an hour after your slot. I would therefore make sure I got there earlier. The A34 is really bad for traffic hold ups, I know as we travel it frequently to get to my Daughter who is 1 1/2 hours from us but it sometimes takes 3 hours or more. We would therefore add at least 2 hours to our journey just in case.

Your timings are out. The drill is not until 17.00 at the earliest and sail away is not until 18.00. BTW even before this people had to board late. So no difference.

Dai but Celebrity, and I suspect RCI too as they are part of the same company, already ask you what time you think you will arrive and what time you wish to disembark, so will be no different for them. RCI do check in on line and it all saves time at the terminal. We have never had such a smooth embarkation or disemarkation as we did with celebrity, it was brilliant and if they can do it why can't p&o?

Quite agree Amanda, Celebrity is always very smooth operation. Incidentally I have a friend who is Terminal Liaison Officer at the port and he says that Anthem of the Seas is the smoothest embarkation and that has the most passengers. I think that P&O build too many rules around these sort of things like the Dining choice procedure for Early Savers, they make simple things complicated.

Whatever system is in place it's pointless if people turn up when they choose. Some posters say that other cruise lines have a system that works. How this can work I don't know. A lot of posts highlight the problems of getting to Southamton on time and mention leaving home allowing extra time in case of delays.

So whatever system that is used you will still have people turning up early. How do other cruise lines deal with these people ?

In the cold light of day there are a great many people who just want to get on the ship early and take no notice of the times they are allocated.

There will come a time when cruise lines will enforce boarding times.

Sorry dai, muster on aurora has always been at 4, on all the times

We have been on her.

With the new procedure the timings have been put back. This is happening now on Britiannia and next on Azura and Ventura.

I am not talking about what has happened in the past as this has now changed.

On all ships up until now the drill was at about 4.00 now it is changing.

Quick question: Where do I actually find the embarkation time? Should it be on my e-ticket? Have received it today and can't see a time mentioned :confused:

Thanks

Diane

The Boarding Time should be prominently printed on the e-ticket.

Boarding takes place roughly 12.30 to 16.00. If you do not have a time allocated 14.00 to 15.00 is less crowded. Under this new system they seem to be trying to spread the load and favour people arriving at the allocated time. I should print out your e-tickets with no time on and periodically re-check that this has not been updated with a specific time. If it has re-print. Some people on this thread have been allocated times which have changed. The sharp ones will print all the times they have been allocated and pull out the nearest on the day!

Regards John

The Boarding Time should be prominently printed on the e-ticket.

Boarding takes place roughly 12.30 to 16.00. If you do not have a time allocated 14.00 to 15.00 is less crowded. Under this new system they seem to be trying to spread the load and favour people arriving at the allocated time. I should print out your e-tickets with no time on and periodically re-check that this has not been updated with a specific time. If it has re-print. Some people on this thread have been allocated times which have changed. The sharp ones will print all the times they have been allocated and pull out the nearest on the day!

Regards John

Thank you John (you have answered my question again!) -

The nearest I can see to a time is a picture of a clock on the first page ... my husband thinks this is the allocated time, but I think its an icon!

Surely it should be written clearly ... in the embarkation box, but it only states arrival date and terminal ... ! :confused:

Diane

Mayflower has been remodelled similar to Ocean. There is a large amount of seating, if needed, prior to check in. There are also new higher capacity lifts that can take several wheelchairs at a time.

Brian

Thank you. So I assume it is wait and then check in the same as Ocean Terminal:)

Same as us Presto but then Britannia doesn't sail until 6 pm. All my other musters have been around 4.00/4.15

We sailed at about 6pm as well. Muster was late and then delayed --- we sat in our cabin waiting for the beeps to go to move for what seemed like ages and then we were told it had been delayed.

Must admit, I may moan about waiting to get on the ship but we both wish we were there now ;-)

Quick question: Where do I actually find the embarkation time? Should it be on my e-ticket? Have received it today and can't see a time mentioned :confused:

Thanks

Diane

Hi Diane

We do not have an embarkation time, as it is a transatlantic you should just have the time of the coach transfer from the airport. You will checkin as soon as the coach arrives at the terminal 😊

Sue