Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

If I am unfortunate enough to get a 3.30 check in time for my next cruise what time should I get there? 3 o'clock, 29 minutes past?

If they are enforcing boarding times I don't expect to get there and see a huge queue.

The ideal time for me would be 1 o'clock, leave the hotel after 12 and a gentle stroll to the Ocean terminal.

ps - if it is pouring down i will be sitting in the terminal not trudging around southampton.

I am not sure an airport is a good analogy.

Waiting to board a cramped plane for a journey of many hours is not quite the same as boarding a luxury cruise liner [emoji6]

Still don't see why they can't operate like other cruise lines where you choose your boarding time and checkin on line. Fairest way with the current pricing structure would be on a first come first serve basis for those paying select fare, once slots are full you would have to choose next available. Those paying the saver fare would have no choice much like they do now with the dining.

Perfect but if you could just add in a few shops at the terminal that would be great ;)

I would add there is a thread over on the official P&O Facebook page whereby people are leaving their comments and suggestions. Its rather large now! Perhaps those who are not happy with the new arrangements may like to add their thoughts to it, the more people who do, the more likely (I live in hope) P&O take notice!

I can't understand for the life of me why they can't do on line check in like the other cruise lines, it saves so much time!

I can't understand for the life of me why they can't do on line check in like the other cruise lines, it saves so much time!

There is a simple answer to that question - they just don't have the computer systems in place and you can't do the same as other cruise lines without the IT to support it. And look how long it has taken them to get their website half decent...

I don't see your issue. The reason I said I was prepared to sit around for three hours, was because I was prepared to sit around for three hours, if that's the way it needs to be.

The point is, if have to make a 6 hour journey and an hour's delay will cost me thousands of pounds, I am not willing to leave myself exactly six hours and chance it. I will leave several hours' leeway. And if that means you have to walk past me sitting waiting for three hours in the waiting room, then I apologise in advance for ruining your holiday. But it won't be half as ruined as mine would have been if I'd been stuck in a traffic jam watching the ship sail.

I think I did say in a previous post, that's great if you are happy to sit in the terminal for 3 hours. If everyone chose to do that though, people may find themselves waiting outside perhaps nun the pouring rain.

I also as do many have to travel a long way to get to the cruise port. Whats the point of the thread is, people who arrive early for their own reasons, just as important as yours and expect to get on the ship when it's not their allocated time.

It absolutely your prerogative to sit in the terminal for 3 hours, it's not what I woukd want for the start of my holiday. I would rather be somewhere nice, sipping something nice, relaxing at the start of holiday. Not getting all angst waiting to get onboard.

No one could ever spoil my cruise. Cruises are for chilling and that includes the embarkation process.

I would add there is a thread over on the official P&O Facebook page whereby people are leaving their comments and suggestions. Its rather large now! Perhaps those who are not happy with the new arrangements may like to add their thoughts to it, the more people who do, the more likely (I live in hope) P&O take notice!

P&O has effectively moved all The Caribbean tier members ( who previously could choose their embarkation times early or late ) backed to the Mediterranean tier. Well done to the Bean Counter that has come up with this idea which penalises loyal repeat customers. This will not stop passengers turning up early & they should have stuck to the old system.

Can someone who comes down on a coach explain how the coaches manage to stick to a slot, and I don't think one has arrived after a ship sailed yet.

I know one winter there was a heap of snow fell over one night and I think that caused problems with half the passengers not arriving at the port. This was a few years ago ,and that was the only time I can remember coaches not arriving.

Can someone who comes down on a coach explain how the coaches manage to stick to a slot, and I don't think one has arrived after a ship sailed yet.

I know one winter there was a heap of snow fell over one night and I think that caused problems with half the passengers not arriving at the port. This was a few years ago ,and that was the only time I can remember coaches not arriving.

I think that under this new system there are four categories of boarding. The flip chart thing with the plastic letters A - Z has been replaced by large TV screens which have a display split into four. The previous A -Z letters are displayed in one quarter. I am certain one of the other quarters is dedicated to coaches so that as a coach arrives the coach passengers may be handed a voucher and the display can immediately flag them through. In this way a coach never misses a slot as they are variable.

Regards John

I think that under this new system there are four categories of boarding. The flip chart thing with the plastic letters A - Z has been replaced by large TV screens which have a display split into four. The previous A -Z letters are displayed in one quarter. I am certain one of the other quarters is dedicated to coaches so that as a coach arrives the coach passengers may be handed a voucher and the display can immediately flag them through. In this way a coach never misses a slot as they are variable.

Regards John

I think you are correct John. My original post included the following info from P&O that suggests coach passengers embark on arrival without waiting:-

"If you are travelling on a coach using our partner operator, you may find your arrival time is different to the embarkation time on your ticket. In that case, your coach arrival time will dictate the time you embark."

City cruise terminal has it the right way around, check-in, security, waiting area and boarding.

Royal Caribbean are getting more people on bigger ships quicker and with less hassle than P&O ever will at this rate. Took us 10 minutes in June to get on the Anthem of the seas with 4,508 passengers eager to embark.

City terminal is actually security first, then check in, then boarding, only ever used the waiting area once when Eclipse was being deep cleaned.

Mind you Celebrity also allow you to wait until 11:00pm before you need to put out cases for disembarkation, dock around 5:30-6:00am and still manage to have all luggage ready for collection by 7:00am.

Maybe P&O should consider employing some ex celebrity staff, or better still persuade Carnival to sell them to RCCL.

Not sure how to find this in Facebook (must be my age). My wife uses it and I have been into the P&O Facebook page but cannot find this subject ???

Not sure how to find this in Facebook (must be my age). My wife uses it and I have been into the P&O Facebook page but cannot find this subject ???

I had a quick look and couldn't find it either lol, embarrassing as I was a volunteer on-line mentor for 5 years. [emoji15]

Seems like a lot of discussion for a couple of hours wait. When we fly we turn up early at the airport. We know it will make no difference to the time we board.

Travelling by car always entails an early start for us and there is no possible way we can arrive to a set time. We allow for hold ups etc and if we have a good run we will arrive early. Nothing will change we will arrive when we arrive.

As a Caribbean tier passenger we have usually had very little wait other than the long queue to go through security. We may now have to wait longer if our boarding time is later but hardly a problem.

The 'relaxing lunch' in the dining room is no big deal. It's reduced over the years to a small selection of canapé style offerings. The buffet serves a better choice on embarkation day but is usually heaving with passengers and their hand luggage waiting for cabins to be ready. It's all good training for what's to follow. Might as well get used to it sooner as later.

Waiting for lifts ... Waiting for buffet line ... Waiting to find seats ... Waiting for show to start if you want a seat ... Waiting for ladies loos ...waiting for shuttle buses .... Waiting for tenders ... Why worry about a couple of hours in the terminal. 😁

Seems like a lot of discussion for a couple of hours wait. When we fly we turn up early at the airport. We know it will make no difference to the time we board.

Travelling by car always entails an early start for us and there is no possible way we can arrive to a set time. We allow for hold ups etc and if we have a good run we will arrive early. Nothing will change we will arrive when we arrive.

As a Caribbean tier passenger we have usually had very little wait other than the long queue to go through security. We may now have to wait longer if our boarding time is later but hardly a problem.

The 'relaxing lunch' in the dining room is no big deal. It's reduced over the years to a small selection of canapé style offerings. The buffet serves a better choice on embarkation day but is usually heaving with passengers and their hand luggage waiting for cabins to be ready. It's all good training for what's to follow. Might as well get used to it sooner as later.

Waiting for lifts ... Waiting for buffet line ... Waiting to find seats ... Waiting for show to start if you want a seat ... Waiting for ladies loos ...waiting for shuttle buses .... Waiting for tenders ... Why worry about a couple of hours in the terminal. 😁

Gosh, sounds like you really enjoy your cruises:eek:

You have to click on the visitor posts and scroll through Florry.

I found a post chasing a response but I can't seethe original thread on FB which P&O have replied to. Interesting though snd learned something new!

OK, we now need to know what order the decks are boarded in so select fare payers can choose their boarding time by selecting the appropriate deck :)

still don't understand the arrangements for Caribbean tier though. Is board when you want or your queue jump within your time slot :confused:

Gosh, sounds like you really enjoy your cruises:eek:

Probably why we jumped P&O ships and have enjoyed a couple of cruises on Celebrity. There is only so many times you can stand to watch a show and wander the decks looking for a sunbed. Azura and Ventura have just too many passengers for size of ship. I can't see that ratio improving on Britannia.

We did not have any loyalty perk with Celebrity but found getting on and off their ships a breeze both in Southampton and Fort Lauderdale. The only problem we encountered last month was chaos in the Southampton terminal when we were trying to find our luggage and that was down to other passengers blocking the aisles.

OK, we now need to know what order the decks are boarded in so select fare payers can choose their boarding time by selecting the appropriate deck :)

still don't understand the arrangements for Caribbean tier though. Is board when you want or your queue jump within your time slot :confused:

If I understand it correctly we have in effect lost this 'perk' as ir seems we just get priority within out time slot. This devalues the already poor perks for Caribbean grade even further. As we only ever book Savers on P&O I guess we will towards the last getting on now.

Edited by bee-ess

I had a quick look and couldn't find it either lol, embarrassing as I was a volunteer on-line mentor for 5 years. [emoji15]

If you are a member of the P&O Cruises for Fun group on Facebook, the entire thread is on there although the original poster is threatening to delete it if it causes any more angst 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD