Half Moon Cay Accessibility

sheri.scott.545

Hi all....are the cabanas on Half Moon Cay handicap accessible? If not, any accessible recommendations? Thanks.

welcome to Cruise critic :)

not sure what you mean by handicap accessible.

There is a trolley/truck/tram like thing (probably the wrong description) that runs now and then if you are concerned about walking.

I recently discovered there are also these sand treading chair things that can be pushed to get you where you have to go as well, but they are not many and can take time to get.

If I missed the question, just let us know what you are looking for and we will try to help

The cabanas have a few stairs. I don't think I've seen any with a handicap ramp.

It is hit or miss if you can get use of a sand wheelchair. I have seen one or two in use on past visits to HMC and they are very wide wheels which can be managed in sand.

Edited by sail7seas

Cabana #1 is designated as the accessible cabana.

That's correct. However, the access is from the roadway; there are stairs down to the sand.

Unless you are willing to stay inside the cabana, or can negotiate the stairs, then I wouldn't consider this cabana.

That's correct. However, the access is from the roadway; there are stairs down to the sand.

Unless you are willing to stay inside the cabana, or can negotiate the stairs, then I wouldn't consider this cabana.

Doesn't the walkway that comes to the cabana also continue a few feet further and end on the beach?

Is there not an issue with the truck/trolley also? I researched this for my mother and found that the truck has steep steps up into the back. There are no nice golf cart type vehicles to transport people. This was a few years ago, so someone correct me if I am wrong.

Don't forget you have to be able to use the tender also. they don't dock at a pier.

Good point.

If the island tenders are used, the disabled person can use the ramp at the aft to go from one level to the other. But if you are sharing the island, and are using ship tenders, you have to be able to negotiate the steps getting on and off at each end.

We did some recognizance for another CC poster when we were on HSC last year. The big tenders - and there are more of them than in the 2013 -2014 season - are accessible, with ramps. We saw several scooters on the tenders and on the island. Once on the island, there are scooter and wheelchair paths that can get you down to the Pirate Bar and the picnic area. The beach, being sand, isn't going to be very accessible. There are the balloon tire beach wheelchairs, but I don't know about availability of them.

The trucks don't have lifts, and as someone mentioned, they do have a few steps up. Once you are on the truck, it's got narrow benches that run the length of the vehicle. It's not going to be easiest thing to navigate.

I've tried 3 times since 2010 to access HMC, with not much luck at all.

The closest I've been able to get is to the edge of a walkway next to a bar. I was able to get right to the edge and stretch my toes out and touch the baby powder like sand with my big toe.

The tenders are not a problem roll on, roll off:)

The walkways are not a problem, just roll around:)

The food is a bit of a problem (counters are to high for someone in a wheelchair or scooter), since you cannot see what is what from a sitting position:(

Getting to a Cabana or Clam Shell is a HUGE PROBLEM!!!

There are supposed to be beach accessible vehicles for those of us that are mobility challenged, but I've yet to see any.

And keep in mind that once you are able to get to anything/place located Off the walkway, you are stuck there until someone can round up one of those vehicles to get you back to a walkway.

For me, it is easier and less stressful to just stay on the ship and not go through the stress and anxiety of watching others walk the sand and enjoying themselves.

Joanie

I'm handicapped and was researching and although they claim to be ADA compliant I trust the voices of the people that have been there. Maybe once inside things are but as you know you need to know what is in between the ship and the cabana's.

They have these kind of wheelchair things with huge tyres - we got my DH and another roll call member to the Oasis cabana with no problem earlier this year, with friends pushing them.

I'm looking for a little clarification on your post. Are you saying the accessible Taupe Cabana does allow someone in a wheelchair to get into the cabana, just not down to the sand?

I've been to HMC several times, but this time we are going with other family members and I thought it would be nice to rent a cabana so I can be close to them while they enjoy the beach. We have rented the Taupe Cabana with the understanding that it is accessible. As long as I can get into the cabana, I'm happy to sit, relax and people watch!

Are you saying the accessible Taupe Cabana does allow someone in a wheelchair to get into the cabana, just not down to the sand?

That's what I'm saying.

If there is a way down to the sand without using the stairs, I didn't see it. But the cabana has a porch, so the person in the wheelchair can still enjoy the great outdoors, and lovely views.