Tour post-cruise with HAL?

Nebr.cruiser

We don't fly out of Miami until almost 5, so we are thinking of taking one of the HAL tours that either go the Everglades or tour Ft. FLauderdale, with drop-off at the airport.

I could only find a couple of reviews and they weren't good. Anyone had experience with either of these?

We just don't want to sit around the airport for that long.

I can't speak from experience but why not go to tripadvisor or some such site, search for Everglades tours, then call the better rated ones to see if they will either pick you up and drop you at the airport after or at least have a spot to store your luggage securely while you are on the tour? It's a bit of a pain if the HAL ones aren't recommended!

We're doing Hal's Fort Lauderdale Land and Sea excursion when we disembark October 16 as we have a late flight as well. I have seen good reviews for this tour on the Shorex page where you go to book. It beats sitting around the airport for hours.

Edited by pizzadog
More info.

We don't fly out of Miami until almost 5, so we are thinking of taking one of the HAL tours that either go the Everglades or tour Ft. FLauderdale, with drop-off at the airport.

I could only find a couple of reviews and they weren't good. Anyone had experience with either of these?

We just don't want to sit around the airport for that long.

We're on the same cruise & are thinking about the FLL Land & Sea Excursion flying out of FLL...but hoping to book it on board using some of our OBC's.

We had thought about renting a car, just don't want to deal with the hassle and driving. I'll also look up tours other than those from HAL: it just seemed easier to go with their tours--easier to arrange, at least.

We almost never do ship tours--it's been about 8 years since we did one--so that's why I'm a little leery. We've had some bad experiences.

I absolutely loved the HAL Everglades tour I did a few years back. We went out on an airboat (a la CSI Miami) with a local guy who seemed to personally know every alligator and their territory. A osprey swooped down and caught a fish that had come to the surface. Then we went to a nature center where we got to see a demonstration by a gator handler. Very informative. Those who wanted to were able to hold a young gator (its mouth was taped shut). There were other animals on display at the center - python, wild pig, turtles, and a few I can't remember. Two I distinctly remember were the Nittany Lion and Pitt Panther, both wintering in Ft. Lauderdale. Of course there was the requisite gift shop where we could pick up a last minute souvenir and grab a drink or snack.

The bus, with our luggage in the underneath compartment, dropped us off at FLL. Believe me, the post-cruise tour sure beat sitting around the airport for hours on end. I would recommend it.

Roz

Well, the reviews here, though not glowing, are decent. So consider a balance between wandering the airport aimlessly or hopping on a decent but not great land and sea or Everglades tour without the hassle of stowing your luggage or racing to the airport in time. Seems even less than decent will be a hassle free bit of fun!

Well, the reviews here, though not glowing, are decent. So consider a balance between wandering the airport aimlessly or hopping on a decent but not great land and sea or Everglades tour without the hassle of stowing your luggage or racing to the airport in time. Seems even less than decent will be a hassle free bit of fun!

So true! We'll probably do the Everglades tour--have heard the water level is low though.

So true! We'll probably do the Everglades tour--have heard the water level is low though.

It will only takes a few good rains. Helps that the airboats glide over the surface and lower water means it is easier to see the wildlife. Did an Everglades tour before the rainy season this year with out of town guests and it was very nice.

It will only takes a few good rains. Helps that the airboats glide over the surface and lower water means it is easier to see the wildlife. Did an Everglades tour before the rainy season this year with out of town guests and it was very nice.

Nice to know--and it has to be much, much better than 6 hours in an airport!

I tried to do this tour after one of my cruises in Fort Lauderdale. The tour bus never came and I was left at the terminal with no way to get to the airport even though I had pre-paid for the tour, luggage storage (on the bus) and transport to the airport.

It was a huge clusterf--k. In the end, my party got two cabs to the airport and waited there. Never again will I do a post-cruise tour. I'd rather sit at the airport for hours than go through that nightmare again.

I tried to do this tour after one of my cruises in Fort Lauderdale. The tour bus never came and I was left at the terminal with no way to get to the airport even though I had pre-paid for the tour, luggage storage (on the bus) and transport to the airport.

It was a huge clusterf--k. In the end, my party got two cabs to the airport and waited there. Never again will I do a post-cruise tour. I'd rather sit at the airport for hours than go through that nightmare again.

Was this a tour through your cruise line or an independent tour you booked? What a disapointment (to put it mildly)!

Ellie,

Was HAL aware of the situation? I've never known them to leave passengers stranded who booked a shorex or tour thru them. Did they refund your money? Were you the only person who booked the post-tour?

Roz

Nice to know--and it has to be much, much better than 6 hours in an airport!

ANYTHING is better than 6 hours in an airport! Renting a car and having independence is nice, but at the end of a cruise, we're tired. If I had a lot of time to kill, I'd go with the HAL tour/transfer. It's just easier.

I think I've done a similar tour/transfer after a cruise with another line many years ago. It's a pleasant way to fill the time. Bring bug spray!

Ellie,

Was HAL aware of the situation? I've never known them to leave passengers stranded who booked a shorex or tour thru them. Did they refund your money? Were you the only person who booked the post-tour?

Roz

It was through HAL. And yes, the staff at the terminal were aware of the situation, but no-one ever did anything about it. It was the most frustrating post-cruise experience I've ever had -- even more frustrating than when we ended a cruise in Montreal where the dock workers were striking.

There were about 12 other people who had booked the post-cruise tour with us, who were also stranded.

I did not get a refund, but did get an on-board-credit on a future cruise.

It was through HAL. And yes, the staff at the terminal were aware of the situation, but no-one ever did anything about it. It was the most frustrating post-cruise experience I've ever had -- even more frustrating than when we ended a cruise in Montreal where the dock workers were striking.

There were about 12 other people who had booked the post-cruise tour with us, who were also stranded.

I did not get a refund, but did get an on-board-credit on a future cruise.

I would have called my credit card company and also would have sent the credit card company a copy of the charges for the tour you didn't get.

Getting a shipboard credit on a future cruise would not work for us as we don't know how much longer we will be cruising.