Live from the Westerdam - Panama Canal Repositioning

TheSecondSister

Calling it an early night (depending on your definition of early - it's 10:45 as I type). I've got a 5:00 a.m. wake up call because I love to watch pilot boats! Weather permitting, the bow will be open at 6 a.m. and I intend to be there. So cross your fingers, say a prayer and hope that the rain we've had most of the afternoon and evening blows itself out and we have a dry day tomorrow.

My only complaint for the cruise is that there was no guest lecturer and lectures on the Panama Canal itself. While I really really really enjoyed the lectures by Joseph Kess, and I learned so much about South American history that I either didn't learn (or more likely forgot), the Panama Canal was mentioned only tangentially. While Location Guide Ryan did two presentations on the Panama Canal, I really would have loved something more in-depth. I guess it's a pretty minor nit to pick, since I've done so much reading on the Panama Canal, but still.... Hopefully I'll catch a lot of the commentary during the canal transit.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

Calling it an early night (depending on your definition of early - it's 10:45 as I type). I've got a 5:00 a.m. wake up call because I love to watch pilot boats! Weather permitting, the bow will be open at 6 a.m. and I intend to be there. So cross your fingers, say a prayer and hope that the rain we've had most of the afternoon and evening blows itself out and we have a dry day tomorrow.

My only complaint for the cruise is that there was no guest lecturer and lectures on the Panama Canal itself. While I really really really enjoyed the lectures by Joseph Kess, and I learned so much about South American history that I either didn't learn (or more likely forgot), the Panama Canal was mentioned only tangentially. While Location Guide Ryan did two presentations on the Panama Canal, I really would have loved something more in-depth. I guess it's a pretty minor nit to pick, since I've done so much reading on the Panama Canal, but still.... Hopefully I'll catch a lot of the commentary during the canal transit.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

The last couple of years, we have had the Lecturer only on the day we actually went through the canal.

Screenshot from 5:30 EDT, Westerdam (the blue square) at the Pacific Anchorage. Probably waiting for daylight.

Edit to add... that's only 4:30 Panama time EST.

29ynyac.jpg

Got this from a website about the canal--I find this very interesting and thought provoking:

The Panama Canal lies on the Isthmus of Panama which generally sits in an east-west direction in Panama. However, the location of the Panama canal is such that ships traveling through the canal from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean travel in a northwest direction while ships traveling from the Atlantic to the Pacific head southeast!.

I'm surprised there was no Panama Canal lecture prior to entering the canal. Has anyone mentioned when the new locks are expected to open? They are long overdue due to a leak that needs to be repaired. I was hoping they would be functioning in March when the Westerdam comes back to the west coast but from what I have heard that will not happen. Any updates?????

I'm surprised there was no Panama Canal lecture prior to entering the canal. Has anyone mentioned when the new locks are expected to open? They are long overdue due to a leak that needs to be repaired. I was hoping they would be functioning in March when the Westerdam comes back to the west coast but from what I have heard that will not happen. Any updates?????

The leaks found on the Pacific Locks is just the latest in a series of set backs that have pushed the completion a good 18 months behind the original planned opening of August 2014. They have had a fair share of labor, material and money problems before the leak bubbled up. The current estimate for opening of the expansion is April 2016, which it was pre-leak. The main contractor has stated that the repair of the leaks will not impact the April opening.

Even though there have not been any leaks detected on the Atlantic side locks, they are going to do some reinforcement of the similar areas of the Atlantic lock as well. The locks on the Atlantic side are further along than the Pacific side and it is possible you could actually see a ship in those locks before the actual opening when you are there in March. The plan was to charter a post Panamax ship to develop the techniques for handling the larger ships as well as to iron out any other wrinkles before the paying customers arrive.

Cruise ships must pay a premium to sail in and transit the locks. While in the USCG, we were anchored for two days off Colon before beginning our passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

I recently read that a passenger ship pays approximately $135 PER BED.

That's upward of $400,000 for the Westerdam to go thru the canal. :eek:

Oh what a great day - upwards of 400 pictures. I've put up Part 1 of our day on our blog (https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/panama-canal-part-1) and will be working on part 2 after I siesta. Not used to getting up so early!

The delay in the Miraflores Locks was because one of the mules (the one immediately below us!) apparently malfunctioned. The Westerdam had to be tied down, and the faulty mule removed, and all the other mules down the line had to back up one spot and a new mule added at the front. At least, that's what I gathered from the musical chair mule shuffle! It was pretty neat, because we got a great vantage point to watch the freighter beside us transit the lock.

As to the new locks being completed next spring --- call me HIGHLY doubtful. From the work I could see from the ship, they have way too much earth to move, much less anything else.

Feet going up .... :)

Essie, that fee chart you provided is largely accurate with the exception of the zero charge for tugs, on the second line. In round numbers the tug charge should be around $12,000. The Canal requires the tugs to be assigned to the ship that size even if the Canal pilot does not use them by way of the tug putting lines up. They are required to be there and not optional, hence the charge.

Not my intention to be the picker of nits, it is only because I have intimate knowledge of the operation. After all what's $12000 among good friends:)?

Edited by BillB48