Live from the Westerdam - Panama Canal Repositioning

TheSecondSister

Got this from a website about the canal--I find this very interesting and thought provoking:

The Panama Canal lies on the Isthmus of Panama which generally sits in an east-west direction in Panama. However, the location of the Panama canal is such that ships traveling through the canal from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean travel in a northwest direction while ships traveling from the Atlantic to the Pacific head southeast!.

Panama plays tricks with most peoples mental image of its geographic position... the country is much like the letter "S" laying on its side. While most people would describe the voyage of the Westerdam as an "Eastbound" cruise, which is correct in terms of starting and ending points. However, at the Canal it is all North and South. The Westerdam gave up her name today and assumed the title of North 1, 3, 5, 7 etc. as did all other ships going in the same direction. Ships coming from the Atlantic entrance of the Canal are South 2, 4, 6 and so on. Sort of like the old Johnny Rivers song "Secret Agent Man"... "they have given you a number and take away your name." I remember my parents telling me about the song;)!

Another little tidbit, when the Westerdam started the transit this morning at the Pacific entrance, she was further East than the final destination of Ft. Lauderdale

Hey thank you for all the great shots of Westerdam going through the canal! It was such an exciting day! And our cabin, 5190, (or rather the verandah) was a fantastic location for watching the action. Thank you, Bill and Essiesmom, and everyone else, for all the great links!

This I picked off a thread last spring:

Panama%20Canal%20fees_zpslwe6nxwn.jpg

This answers my question of why we lay at anchor for two days before beginning an early evening transit. As I recall, we finally tied up at the Navy base around midnight. $65K ($11+K in 1972) for a reservation and daylight transit. I guess there wasn't a government-service discount. ;)

Edited by Heartgrove

This answers my question of why we lay at anchor for two days before beginning an early evening transit. As I recall, we finally tied up at the Navy base around midnight. $65K ($11+K in 1972) for a reservation and daylight transit. I guess there wasn't a government-service discount. ;)

A little background... The transit reservation system was not in effect back in 1972, in fact in '72 the toll rate had never been increased from the original rates established in 1914. The first toll rate increase came in 1974. Passenger ships, ships operating on a published schedule and U.S. Government vessels could be given priority if requested. I suspect since you were on a decommissioning cruise there may not have been any big rush, so there may not have been any request.

Had the transit reservation been in effect the time of your transit, your ship would not have been charged the $35K rate. That is the fee paid for ships that are over 900' in length and over a 100' in beam. On the "cheaper" end of the spectrum, vessels not over 300', a transit reservation only costs $2500... a bargain if you don't want your ship to lay on the anchor for days. The daylight transit guarantee did not exist then either. Back then ships of over a 100' in beam could not enter the first lock and had to clear the last lock during daylight hours, so a fee would have been moot. Now a days that restriction is just limited to Gaillard Cut for ships like the Westerdam.

Edited by BillB48

Hi Lisa-Ann,

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for doing the "Live From" thread and your blog. I've been reading both and your enthusiasm for the Panama Canal transit is wonderful!

I'm especially excited since you're reporting from the Westerdam and I'm looking forward to sailing on her in less than a month! Looking forward to more updates from your trip!

Due to an onboard medical emergency, we've already arrived in Cartagena this morning and are in the process of docking, more than an hour ahead of schedule. We zipped across the Bay of Cartagena at 14.5 knots, so it must be critical. Prayers for the passenger and family.

Sorry to hear this. Prayers that the passenger will be alright.

My sister and I have gone ahead and booked the Westerdam with the Future Cruise Consultant Heather for a "quickie" 7-day Alaska next May out of Seattle. We booked the same cabin, 5190, because we love it, and because we will have the same cabin steward, Anton, who will be close to the end of his contract by then. Best cabin steward we ever had.

I put up a blog post late last night of our day in Ft Lauderdale, and a video this morning of the Westerdam leaving Ft Lauderdale. (My sister and I walked down the beach to watch the sail away.) Link: https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/

I'll be posting On Location guides and a whole bunch more pictures after we get home.

Here's to hoping we'll be back aboard the "beautiful, elegant Westerdam" soon with friends and fellow travelers, known and yet-to-be-known!

Ahh, is it really over?

Did watch the sail a way yesterday, so I do know the answer.

Glad you had a great time and just want to say thanks for a great thread.

Always enjoy your posts. Thanks so much for sharing with us and giving us a smile every day :)