Hurricane Joaquin

Mr. Blonde

I'm supposed to depart from Port Canaveral on Friday morning.

Should I be prepared for a cancellation? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

We are sailing out on Friday too on the EOS, watching the weather channel and it looks like we'll be sailing right on scheduled. Storm will be moved north by then. Looking forward to a beautiful weekend cruise! :D

We are sailing out on Friday too on the EOS, watching the weather channel and it looks like we'll be sailing right on scheduled. Storm will be moved north by then. Looking forward to a beautiful weekend cruise! :D

Awesome. Thanks for the answers everybody. I got nervous. I asked on another board and I got this reply from someone:

"I would say be prepared for a cancellation. Official NHC forecast and most model runs keep Joaquin in the area of the Bahamas through Friday. Forecast confidence with the overall storm track has been low since there has been such a spread in model runs in the initial run-up of the storm.

Outside of the storm, there is a lingering cold front/upper low along the east coast and southeast. It's going to be a windy/rainy generally bleh environment out to sea through at least early Saturday. Things clear up Sunday and beyond."

I'm also on the EOS sailing out Friday morning and I think we will probably miss Coco Cay due to weather which I hate, but if that's the worst that happens it's all good. My husband (weather nut and first time cruiser) has already texted me about it and wondering if we should call RCI. I said - don't worry we will sail. Itinerary may change, but we'll sail.

Of late, RCCL has been very good about informing guests about impending storms by placing a banner on their website. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/

Check there periodically and looks for messages on your contact info device that you gave when you completed your online sign up.

We head out Monday and have no fears about this storm. Unless the Port Authority closes Port Canaveral your cruise will very likely depart the port and head away from the storm. We previously diverted to Key West going directly down the East coast on a 3 night Sovereign cruise as a hurricane was headed North over the Bahamas. We did 4 hours in Nassau on the way home and did observe storm damage around the port and in town.

Yep, I'm on this cruise, too, with a big group. Not too concerned about port changes, but nearly panicked about the thought of seriously high seas! I barely contain my motion sickness on a normal day, but cruising is some darn awesome I just can't stop myself! :)

When Hurricane Noel hit when we were on Explorer, I was so happy to have the patch on. Yes, it was a bit queasy still, but never got sick and there was alot of that going on. The seas were so high and it was so stormy we ended up missing two ports, but better safe than sorry.

Of late, RCCL has been very good about informing guests about impending storms by placing a banner on their website. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/

Check there periodically and looks for messages on your contact info device that you gave when you completed your online sign up.

We head out Monday and have no fears about this storm. Unless the Port Authority closes Port Canaveral your cruise will very likely depart the port and head away from the storm. We previously diverted to Key West going directly down the East coast on a 3 night Sovereign cruise as a hurricane was headed North over the Bahamas. We did 4 hours in Nassau on the way home and did observe storm damage around the port and in town.

In 2008 when TS Faye hit Florida, PC was closed, and Disney bussed us to Ft Lauderdale to board the Wonder. We were on a bus with several families that had driven up from FLL to PC for the cruise, and it got really interesting when we drove past their homes on the way down to actually board the ship.

We are heading out on Liberty on Saturday to Bermuda......hope we can get away before the storm and still make it there. Looks like the hurricane might make landfall south of the NJ area early next week.....hope all is good at the Port Liberty upon our return!!

Edited by fish6

Mr. Blonde you didn't say where you are "supposed" to go. That would make a big difference as far as your plans go. My daughter is on the Disney Dream docked at Castaway Island where there is nothing to do but enjoy the out of doors with a soon to be Cat. 2 hurricane headed for them and Disney didn't change a thing. The Wonder is leaving port in 20 minutes headed to the Bahamas. Here is a link to port cameras and you can see the weather for yourself.

http://portnassauwebcam.com/ It is set on Port Nassau. You can change the port in the upper left corner.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/

Safe journey to all!

We are heading out on Liberty on Saturday to Bermuda......hope we can get away before the storm and still make it there. Looks like the hurricane might make landfall south of the NJ area early next week.....hope all is good at the Port Liberty upon our return!!

We're on board too this Saturday and I'm thinking, due to the hurricane, we may have some rocking and rolling :eek:

Yep, I'm on this cruise, too, with a big group. Not too concerned about port changes, but nearly panicked about the thought of seriously high seas! I barely contain my motion sickness on a normal day, but cruising is some darn awesome I just can't stop myself! :)

One Bonine in the morning and one at night has controlled seasickness for me in the very worst of seas.

We are also going to be on Liberty on Saturday. We went through Fay last and it caught us off guard. Now I have been stalking the weather. We're hoping to be able to pass the storm. But I am thinking the seas may be a choppy at the least for the first day or so. We're driving from Akron, Ohio so hopefully the rain isn't too bad then. I'm mostly worried about any flooding that might happen at the port's parking lots.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place .... Really lost here! but, my parents are currently on the Carnival Conquest and near the Bahamas now. How do I get any information about how their cruise is going? Their first ever cruise and we (us kids) have no communication with them until their return. Alittle nervous, very curious and unsure how where to go for info. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm on that sailing too and praying we don't end up in Canada !!! I did this 3 years ago during Sandy and they sailed right through the eye. It was horrible. But once we got to Bermuda if was beautiful. Right now the forecast doesn't look good. Heavy sigh! But I'd rather be wet in Bermuda than freezing in Canada !

Edited by kaykels

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place .... Really lost here! but, my parents are currently on the Carnival Conquest and near the Bahamas now. How do I get any information about how their cruise is going? Their first ever cruise and we (us kids) have no communication with them until their return. Alittle nervous, very curious and unsure how where to go for info. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Do your parents have email that they check onboard? Cell phone text messages? Carnival's website where they can post free messages?

If not, you could always call their stateroom phone. I don't know how it works on Carnival, but on Royal it would cost about $8 a minute.

I'm on that sailing too and praying we don't end up in Canada !!! I did this 3 years ago during Sandy and they sailed right through the eye. It was horrible. But once we got to Bermuda if was beautiful. Right now the forecast doesn't look good. Heavy sigh! But I'd rather be wet in Bermuda than freezing in Canada !

Ha ha......it's not that freezing here but I don't want to go back to Canada either!!