Tell me about differences between Indy & Jewel!

I am especially interested in the differences in the classes because my DH has been known to get a bit seasick, but had no problems on Indy. I wasn't sure with it being smaller it might be more prone to seasickness.

Also, would love to hear about other differences like food, bars, rooms, things to do etc!! Thanks!

I keep hearing people rave over the self levelling pool tables. What's the big deal? Lol. Can you actually see them levelling? Is it noticeable? Is there a cost to play them?

No cost. Unless that has changed since 2011. I think most of the big deal is that the Radiance class is the only class that has pool tables.

Edited by ryano

I keep hearing people rave over the self levelling pool tables. What's the big deal? Lol. Can you actually see them levelling? Is it noticeable? Is there a cost to play them?

No cost. Yes, you can actually see them moving. In fact, it really surprised me how much the ship is moving because the tables are moving and I was not feeling the ship move at all.

I had to recant part of my post. The only time I played on those tables on Radiance, we were in port and i really didnt pay any attention any other time :o The tables didn't move at all that I recall. Certainly nothing like what that video shows.

Great video!

Definitely! Not mine but it does illustrate how in seemingly calm waters those things move - and stay perfectly level while doing so! We saw them in action on Serenade (I didn't play on them since I'm awful at pool) and couldn't believe how much they moved.

For OP - we've cruised both the Freedom and Radiance classes and I didn't note any big problems. We definitely had calm waters on Serenade though, whereas our Freedom cruise had one night of rough waters. As for differences in the classes I think those are well outlined and not knowing when you sailed on Independence I can't say what changes may have been made on her since you sailed. Offhand here are my pros and cons for each class

Freedom

Pros

• Lots to do (Flow rider, ice rink, ice shows, parties/parades on the Promenade)
  • Definitely kid/family friendly
  • VERY well designed pool area never felt crowded and the cantilevered whirlpools were a great place to spend an afternoon

Cons

• Occasionally you feel disconnected from being out on the water. A couple times it felt like a really cool resort or hotel rather than a cruise ship
  • Open air solarium underwhelmed me a little and didn't seem well laid out
  • It feels like RCI has eliminated some entertainment options on the Freedoms. I notice the Screening Room has been removed from Freedom and Independence and is only on Liberty now. Similarly the indoor dance clubs, The Crypt (Freedom) and The Labyrinth (Indy), are gone while Liberty still has The Catacombs.

Radiance

Pros

• Lots to do (Flow rider, ice rink, ice shows, parties/parades on the Promenade)
  • Solarium on these ships are really nice. Gorgeous decor and covered by a retractable roof.
  • Windjammer outdoor seating is really nice

Cons

• Pool area felt a little small/crowded to me
  • MDR felt a little cramped at dinner service
  • Not quite as much for kids to do - waterslide area on Serenade didn't look like it was even operational when we were on her.

I've been on all the ships in the Radiance class and they are still my favorite. They are considered the more classy ships in the fleet. A much more outward looking ship with glass everywhere. Some of the outside facing elevators provide a really cool view. It's the little things on Radiance class ships that stand out in regards to the elegance.

Definitely more to do on the Freedom class, but not sure it's all that important unless you like the feeling of a mall and need more kid type activities. The Royal Promenade is a nice option, but we don't spend much time there anyway.

Definitely! Not mine but it does illustrate how in seemingly calm waters those things move - and stay perfectly level while doing so! We saw them in action on Serenade (I didn't play on them since I'm awful at pool) and couldn't believe how much they moved.

For OP - we've cruised both the Freedom and Radiance classes and I didn't note any big problems. We definitely had calm waters on Serenade though, whereas our Freedom cruise had one night of rough waters. As for differences in the classes I think those are well outlined and not knowing when you sailed on Independence I can't say what changes may have been made on her since you sailed. Offhand here are my pros and cons for each class

Freedom

Pros

• VERY well designed pool area never felt crowded and the cantilevered whirlpools were a great place to spend an afternoon

Cons

• Occasionally you feel disconnected from being out on the water. A couple times it felt like a really cool resort or hotel rather than a cruise ship
  • It feels like RCI has eliminated some entertainment options on the Freedoms. I notice the Screening Room has been removed from Freedom and Independence and is only on Liberty now. Similarly the indoor dance clubs, The Crypt (Freedom) and The Labyrinth (Indy), are gone while Liberty still has The Catacombs.

Radiance

Pros

• Solarium on these ships are really nice. Gorgeous decor and covered by a retractable roof.

Cons

• Not quite as much for kids to do - waterslide area on Serenade didn't look like it was even operational when we were on her.

Posted earlier that I didn't think there was an ice rink on the Jewel.

Same thing on Radiance. Again, no ice rink or promenade with parades down the middle of the ship.

Ice rink and promenade parades on Oasis class, Freedom class and Voyager class of ships.

Radiance

Pros

Whoops, no - none of that on Radiance-class ships. You were probably too late to edit it. :)

I do like the shops area on Radiance-class ships, though; I find it easy to navigate except when a show is getting out and everyone seems to be coming through the area. No biggie, though. :)

Lots of beautiful windows and glass on Jewel. She is my favorite ship (pre-refurb, absolutely).

Thank you so much for all the great Information! We booked Jewel! I am so excited!

We were in Indy in March.

We definitely have "the cruise bug" and are planning farther out to maximize savings.

I can't wait to see the pool tables!

Jeez, I don't know what happened there. I know there's none of that on Radiance class ships. Here's what I meant to say

Freedom

Pros

Cons

• It feels like RCI has eliminated some entertainment options on the Freedoms. I notice the Screening Room has been removed from Freedom and Independence and is only on Liberty now. Similarly the indoor dance clubs, The Crypt (Freedom) is gone.

Radiance

Pros

• Lots of glass - great ocean views really make you feel connected with the sea around you (esp. what my wife and I came to call "The Great Glass Elevator" on the port side of the ship)

Cons